Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be going to a football match tonight in north Dublin (Bohs v Derry, in Phibsboro), KO is 7.45. Am I right in saying there's a decent chance it could be cancelled? Considering the long trip the Derry team/fans have to make they'll likely be under pressure to make a call early.

Thanks for all the info in this thread, been a fascinating read!

The match has to be at risk. Just give us a walkover. With your start you would have been beaten anyway and it will save you a nightmare journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

I'd like to welcome Mr Beast to Delgany. He made a brief but white appearance a few minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

lawred2 wrote: »
    asked the neighbour this morning - jokingly - had he his escape plans from work in place?

"for what" was the response

"urm... it's going to snow over the next few days"

"Snow!? I'll be amazed if any of that sticks"

"... ok"

:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Barnaboy wrote: »
    The match has to be at risk. Just give us a walkover. With your start you would have been beaten anyway and it will save you a nightmare journey!

I'm a Bohs fan, should have specified :pac:

Not too worried about getting there and back myself, but I've friends traveling from South Dublin.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Beating snow here in south Kildare here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Looks like some snow Wed/Thurs night and most of it gone by Friday with warmer temps and rain for most of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    -2C at 8am in Limerick. 0C at 9am.

Glorious day

Looking forward going for a run down the riverbank in Plassey later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Snowing in my back garden, Wicklow Town

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

In a weird way, Galway feels very like a Northern European city today. The dry air feels European (Prague/Berlin/Vienna). Absolutely stunning morning.

Never been to any of those cities but encouraged to even more if the weather is like Galway today. It feels beautiful to be out in and I despise the cold, it's just that damn wind that cuts through you up here. The stillness is beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Looks like some snow Wed/Thurs night and most of it gone by Friday with warmer temps and rain for most of the country.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭bloopy

2013Lara wrote: »

Snowing?
    At this time of the year?
    In that part of the country?
    Localised entirely in your back garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

2013Lara wrote: »

Wow, that's highly localised!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I remember that so well even though I was 6 I think. We were snowed in and the army had to drop food in to us but to get it my dad and uncles had to walk to the drop point in snow drifts. But its the cold I remember most esp my feet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well thats completely wrong where did you get that from ?

Friday: Present indications are for further falls of heavy disruptive snow and very windy conditions into Friday from this same event. Brighter conditions, with scattered showers, should however develop over Munster and south Leinster in the afternoon, with this clearance expected to extend northwards later in the day and overnight. Highest temperatures will range only 1 to 4 degrees Celsius. Once again there will be an added wind chill factor, making it feel particularly raw, in fresh to strong and gusty easterly winds.

THIS WEEKEND: A little less cold, with wintry showers becoming more scattered. The emphasis will all the while be on the southern and eastern counties, with onshore winds in these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Nothing in Bray now. Hope it's not too bad this afternoon when I head to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Source?

Hughland..population 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

bloopy wrote: »
    Snowing?
    At this time of the year?
    In that part of the country?
    Localised entirely in your back garden?

:pac:

"Can I see it?" "Nnnno."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Adelynn Spicy Flower

I know it's probably too early to say but is there a suggestion this could last all the way until next weekend, i.e. 9th/10th March?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'm glad I'm not on Facebook,the missus is giving me an update of people on one page asking questions like.

"Where can I get heating oil delivered from?"

"Anybody know who delivers logs in my area?"

"Where can I get snow suits for a toddler?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

At risk of being lynched.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................Thank God!!

I know wrong forum :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Went to shop yesterday ti get a few bits it was like people preparing to be snowed in for weeks. Funny thing is all the people stocking up will be on Facebook later, complaining about Met Eireann weather warnings, laughing about how they got it wrong. Worse than that these people obviously cannot read as we are not under any weather warning in this area today, there is little to no snow expected

So you're up for a spell of major flooding then to coincide with the very big spring tides???? That would be great alright.........
    Snow from today through to Saturday according to our weather forum boffins with an absolute muller of it from Thurs into Friday. Its happening.
    We had our first proper snow shower and we're on the coast above Greystones. No sign rain/sleet as a precursor - fine dry snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Few "heavy snow" reports already.... can't be any more than the lightest of showers at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭esposito

I know it's probably too early to say but is there a suggestion this could last all the way until next weekend, i.e. 9th/10th March?

Too early to say tbh. A little less cold this weekend but beyond that is anyone’s guess

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Source?

'Weather for Dummies'

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Source?

I just licked my thumb and stuck it out the window ...

There is no forecast for heavy showers until tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

Got caught out in the snow there about 30 minutes ago in Naas. Started with just a few flakes, but the cloud was clearly heavily laden and I just thought: here we go. Wound up covered in snow - black cotton coat turned white.

I know I'm waking up to a winter wonderland in the morning, just a shame I'll have to try and get in to work in Dublin.

Hope there's a red warning for Friday and I'll be able to enjoy the snow, but we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    So you're up for a spell of major flooding then to coincide with the very big spring tides???? That would be great alright.........
    Snow from today through to Saturday according to our weather forum boffins with an absolute muller of it from Thurs into Friday. Its happening.
    We had our first proper snow shower and we're on the coast above Greystones. No sign rain/sleet as a precursor - fine dry snow.

Why might there be major flooding? There has been little rain for weeks, rivers are not excessively high, slow melts slowly anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement