Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like we have entered the 'warm sector' in the east now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I'm curious what the prognosis is for the luas to run in snow? I know it stopped running in 2010.

I normally cycle but will not do so for the remainder of the week, I brought the bike in this morning even though I had planned not to, hope i can get it home.

Has anyone heard any word on whether the luas will continue to run if there is a red snow warning issued? plan to bring work home with me regardless, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

jasper100 wrote: »
    Why might there be major flooding? There has been little rain for weeks, rivers are not excessively high, slow melts slowly anyway.

Rain on snow means very fast melting, and that will mean a run off faster than it will soak into hard frozen ground. River levels will be higher as a direct result.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I know it's probably too early to say but is there a suggestion this could last all the way until next weekend, i.e. 9th/10th March?

Almost safetly can say no it won't continue until then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nothing here so far after a dry night.

Hopefully the showers will kick off later on today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

What is the following sectors after that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Fian wrote: »
    I'm curious what the prognosis is for the luas to run in snow? I know it stopped running in 2010.

I normally cycle but will not do so for the remainder of the week, I brought the bike in this morning even though I had planned not to, hope i can get it home.

Has anyone heard any word on whether the luas will continue to run if there is a red snow warning issued? plan to bring work home with me regardless, just in case.
    https://www.luas.ie/contact-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

My reading on the situation on Thursday night into Friday is persistent snow is set in from the south. It is looks like that there be near blizzard conditions over the southern half of the country as Storm Emma interacts with the bitterly cold airmass. This snow will work up northwards by Friday morning. The snow in the south will tend to change back to rain in the southern half country before it clears off during Friday afternoon. It looks like snowfall will persist for much of Friday in the northern half of the country. Any gale force winds on Thursday night into Friday morning should abate by Friday afternoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

What is the following sectors after that then?

Cold and Very Cold ,

The deepest of the cold pours in later this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Dew Points surged to the dizzy heights of -3C at 9:30 at Dublin airport. Balmy!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Did anyone watch Tonight on TV3 last night? It was all about the weather. I was never so frustrated after watching a so-called current affairs program in my life. The amount of misinformation been spouted by the panellists was frightening and Ivan Yates mixed up Weather and Climate and even said "sure there was no CO2 before 1982" Good god!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/Dublin-Ireland/tides/latest

Tide Times are GMT (UTC +0hrs). Last Spring High Tide at Dublin was on Sat 17 Feb (height:4.05m 13.3ft). Next high Spring Tide at Dublin will be on Sat 03 Mar (height:4.51m 14.8ft).

Did you read the thread? Read it and you'll understand the context of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Fian wrote: »

They're planning to attach big snowplows to the fronts of the Luas carriages, after Shane Ross watched that movie Snowpiercer. Service should be unaffected but they're expecting a lot of casualties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

few snow showers here in Rathcoole so far, nothing sticking but ground remaining dry.

Just want to say a big thanks to everyone who puts there knowledge and effort into keeping us amateurs up to date with this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Who ordered a green patch? :pac:

Anyway, current wind direction suggests if there is an Isle of Man shadow it will be in this direction.

Roll on the afternoon

443042.jpg

dacogawa wrote: »

Anyway, current wind direction suggests if there is an Isle of Man shadow it will be in this direction.

Roll on the afternoon

That's pointed at my house man................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Timistry wrote: »
    Did anyone watch Tonight on TV3 last night? It was all about the weather. I was never so frustrated after watching a so-called current affairs program in my life. The amount of misinformation been spouted by the panellists was frightening and Ivan Yates mixed up Weather and Climate and even said "sure there was no CO2 before 1982" Good god!

Yates is a clown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Timistry wrote: »

And Sinead Ryan who said Ophelia was just a few twigs fell down in her garden... No world outside of Dublin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Roll on the afternoon

443042.jpg

Big red monster heading for Wexford :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Baby75 wrote: »
    I remember that so well even though I was 6 I think. We were snowed in and the army had to drop food in to us but to get it my dad and uncles had to walk to the drop point in snow drifts. But its the cold I remember most esp my feet

I was 13 and my lasting memory is having the best snowball fight ever with all the kids in our area. We lived in Tallaght not that far away from the areas shown in the footage there. I’ll never forget waking up to the snow. The surprise that we really really couldn’t get to school whether it was open or not. It just never happened. We had a new puppy at the time. She was so small she didn’t sink into the snow. Ahhhhhh memories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Mr Bumble wrote: »

Roll on the afternoon

That's pointed at my house man................

Do you want me to move the arrow? it won't be as accurate though.

Hopefully the IOM doesn't come into play

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Red Honeysuckle

Still - 3 in North Tipperary. Cloud cover coming in though after a very clear morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

It is bitter in Cork City. Lovely day and clear skies, went for a run, couldn't find skin pants, had to abort at 4km, was turning red from the cold

Anyway it's snowing again. Woooowooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Light snizzle in Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rebelbrowser saying in technical thread that he thinks the snow will turn to rain in Cork :(

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Iv a question. This is coming from the uk but yet we have not heard off massive amounts over there just the norm. Does it mean the same for us or what

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lovely and Sunny with blue skies as the clouds move away here in North Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Currently Active Users

1684 (612 members & 1072 guests)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭optogirl

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Iv a question. This is coming from the uk but yet we have not heard off massive amounts over there just the norm. Does it mean the same for us or what

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43207709

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/27/uk-weather-snow-chaos-roads-blocked-trains-cancelled-latest/

Not just the norm by all accounts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement