Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Jpmarn wrote: »
    My reading on the situation on Thursday night into Friday is persistent snow is set in from the south. It is looks like that there be near blizzard conditions over the southern half of the country as Storm Emma interacts with the bitterly cold airmass. This snow will work up northwards by Friday morning. The snow in the south will tend to change back to rain in the southern half country before it clears off during Friday afternoon. It looks like snowfall will persist for much of Friday in the northern half of the country. Any gale force winds on Thursday night into Friday morning should abate by Friday afternoon.

Yes it does like the South of the country is going to get hit the hardsest. It looks more likely that Dublin won't be as badly affected well I hope that is the case. It will be interesting to see how it pans out but the South looks to be the place if you like snow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Loughc wrote: »
    Lovely and Sunny with blue skies as the clouds move away here in North Dublin :)

the Isle Of Man is doing it's job, not a flake here either all night because of it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

@DellyBelly ...... what charts are you reading to come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

dacogawa wrote: »
    Who ordered a green patch? :pac:

Anyway, current wind direction suggests if there is an Isle of Man shadow it will be in this direction.

Roll on the afternoon

443042.jpg

Won't be as NE once the front passes through - track the shower movement across the UK currently and that's your rough guide for later. Winds are at their most NE component right now; probably for the best seeing as the front ended up being a coastal slider and if there was sleet or rain involved at least it stayed mostly offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

6z Harmonie shows between 12 and 24mm of liquid across Greater Dublin through from 00z to 15z

Do the math! Kildare and west Dublin the sweet spots as showers slow down.

This is for tonight into tomorrow afternoon, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Fian wrote: »
    I'm curious what the prognosis is for the luas to run in snow? I know it stopped running in 2010.

I normally cycle but will not do so for the remainder of the week, I brought the bike in this morning even though I had planned not to, hope i can get it home.

Has anyone heard any word on whether the luas will continue to run if there is a red snow warning issued? plan to bring work home with me regardless, just in case.

The Luas actually wasn't too bad in 2010 - I only remember it stopping two or three times in the week. I know I was on a night tram on the Red Line on New Years Eve when the snow was coming down heavy and it stayed on til 3:30am that night. First thing in the morning, it took a while to run the full line, but once they got the tracks cleared, it tended to be far more reliable than the buses out in Tallaght.

I'm hopeful for a repeat of that, but I guess it depends how much falls on the lines and how quickly they can clear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Moderate snow in Delgany now so IOM shadow not impacting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

There is Beautiful sunshine here in Bettystown.. Rabbits are happy hopping around the garden, Dogs barking at the local cats, Blissfully unaware of what is to come . .

200w.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

I would still have strong doubts that Cork City will see more than a few flakes. Although, I should probably stock up on some normal basics, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Any snow in Celbridge...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

The cloud looks very light so far.....hence the precipitation being light also....big change this afternoon/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

Absolutely lashing snow now in greystones,beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Rebelbrowser saying in technical thread that he thinks the snow will turn to rain in Cork :(

This will be in doubt down here until the day. This front will be unpredictable as to how far north it goes. The further the worse for Cork but if it stays south or stalls like some models think then snowfest time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is snizzle that stuff thats half way between graupel and snow? Because we have some in east Waterford on the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Dinner plates in Arklow
    Moderate continuous snow currently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

John.Icy wrote: »
    Won't be as NE once the front passes through - track the shower movement across the UK currently and that's your rough guide for later. Winds are at their most NE component right now; probably for the best seeing as the front ended up being a coastal slider and if there was sleet or rain involved at least it stayed mostly offshore.

Ah yes thanks John, windy is showing a more easterly shift around 2pm on ECM & GFS. Good thing if we miss that mucky patch at the front too. I guessed last week it would all kick off at 4pm Tuesday, it's looking very close to that time now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Rebelbrowser saying in technical thread that he thinks the snow will turn to rain in Cork :(

That has been my fear to being so close to the coast that it could be marginal for Cork City , probably a few twists in the forecasts yet in next 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This will be in doubt down here until the day. This front will be unpredictable as to how far north it goes. The further the worse for Cork but if it stays south or stalls like some models think then snowfest time.

Yeah and you know our luck when it comes to snow....:( leahyl is starting to lose faith a little....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Am still amazed at the "ah sure it'll be grand" / "it won't stick" / "I don't believe the warnings" comments that I'm getting from people.

Me, I'm out of dodge at 1pm today. Collecting kids and battening down the hatches. No intention of moving till Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I have some flights tomorrow, Dublin - Frankfurt - Hannover (with a two hour layover in Frankfurt). How do you guys feel my chances are? Is Germany a bit hairy too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Skedaddle wrote: »
    I would still have strong doubts that Cork City will see more than a few flakes. Although, I should probably stock up on some normal basics, just in case.

Perhaps not today or tomorrow but by Thursday evening we should see quite a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

From Met Eireann...

"There is a level of uncertainty through the weekend with a complex area of low pressure to the south bringing further spells of wintry precipitation."

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Yeah and you know our luck when it comes to snow....:( leahyl is starting to lose faith a little....

I have a memory of being sent home from school , maybe about 85 , heavy snow forecast coming from south , waiting patiently for it to come as big black clouds built all afternoon and it poured rain instead !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I'm right on the south coast near kinsale and today is glorious!! Ready for snowmaggeden but will prob be the usual, cold rain.. icon has been leading the trend all week tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Dinner plates in Arklow
    Moderate continuous snow currently

Same in Ashford further north. Swirling in a moderate breeze- Hypnotic to look at!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AnSliabhCorcra

Cork is glorious today! With all the hussle and bustle in the news about the 'Beast' and bloody 'Emma', I keep refreshing the news expecting to see reports of overturned passenger boats off the coast of Ireland! So far, it's a nicer and calmer day than your average day in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

http://www.wicklowcam.com/

There was a lovely view from this earlier...is it turned off? OR....?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭roosterman71

In the past half an hour, the camera on Wicklow town has gone from being able to see the town, to being just grey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Glebee

In the past half an hour, the camera on Wicklow town has gone from being able to see the town, to being just grey.

Oh fcuk its the start of the Snowpocalyspe. The beast is here.:eek::eek::eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement