Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

....hmmm if it's not going to be 1982, will it be at least 2010?
    AF1QipMrLu0OEXVVjFereO0Bw1unzNRaYVW6aDoaGz83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

The term the Beast from the East looks great on a weather forum like this but when you hear it on the news headlines. Oh Lord

And when Claire Byrne was at it.....well pure cringefest.

I watched it for comedy value TBH.

She said in the previews that they would be bringing all the latest updates but really the met eireann girl just repeated the earlier forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

We appear to have kick-off in the Irish Sea. Looks like showers of a convective nature are beginning to appear now, east of Meath/Dublin and also just west of NW Wales.

And so it begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Forecaster on bbc said a polar low came in over the north east of england last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Deedsie wrote: »
    You come off it. There could be black ice in any shadowy area. People are 100% correct to drive cautiously in these conditions. Cop on

Too true, this weather can be the safest time for driving because people drive so carefully, if only everybody knew this there would be far less accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A brief shower of light snow here in Waterford City about 20mins ago. Sun is out now though.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Deedsie wrote: »
    You come off it. There could be black ice in any shadowy area. People are 100% correct to drive cautiously in these conditions. Cop on

And they should have their dipped lights on. Not parking lights, not the usual front only DLRs, dipped headlights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No mention of any red level warnings in the UK despite significant snowfall either already happening or being forecast. Does the same criteria for the various warning levels that is used here also apply there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭prosaic

I would like to learn metohorrorology, the science of transfixing people with weather reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sleet shower just started (and ended) in Rush, Co. Dublin.

Nice views of Lambay Island, and Howth off to the right;

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

For those in Wicklow and maybe even North Wexford, looks like there could be some heavy snow heading your way in the next hour or so, separate to anything that may be falling now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Pure blowing powder here in Arklow
    Lovely to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DaleB

Startin in Waterford ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Lucky Kents.

Kent believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Soft hail/graupel in Balbriggan.
    I was expecting this to happen in the warm sector rather than the rain that was mentioned in Met Eireanns' forecasts last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

No mention of any red level warnings in the UK despite significant snowfall either already happening or being forecast. Does the same criteria for the various warning levels that is used here also apply there?

I see in MT's forecast today my little corner of the world North Tipperary gets a mention and could see temperatures of between -5 to -11 over night tonight. I wonder will we equal or break the 2010 record of -12. The Sky is very clear here in North Tipperary at the moment with the odd cloud and quiet calm but very cold. Perfect conditions for temps to plummet tonight. Thankfully we don't have many if any homeless people sleeping on our streets here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Blue skies still here in Bisopstown in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Light graupel showers. Quite windy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, although the alert levels have the same meaning, the criteria differ from country to country depending on the typical local conditions.

A red alert for Snow in Ireland for example, is based on expecting more than 8cm of snowfall in a given period.

In the UK, a red alert is based on the expected impact (people will be stranded, people may die, etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Light snow again in Dublin 17... so excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Steady moderate snow in Delgany for the last 15/20 minutes...this seems like a more organised shower

natashaob6 wrote: »
    I see in MT's forecast today my little corner of the world North Tipperary gets a mention and could see temperatures of between -5 to -11 over night tonight. I wonder will we equal or break the 2010 record of -12. The Sky is very clear here in North Tipperary at the moment with the odd cloud and quiet calm but very cold. Perfect conditions for temps to plummet tonight. Thankfully we don't have many if any homeless people sleeping on our streets here.

Met Eireann giving -5 as the lowest for Munster tonight. I wouldn't pay much heed of what anybody else says TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Come on snow, I’m sick of waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Seems to be blowing in from the northeast. I thought it was coming the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

jasper100 wrote: »
    Met Eireann giving -5 as the lowest for Munster tonight. I wouldn't pay much heed of what anybody else says TBH.

Careful now!

You're obviously new around here, MT is exceptional, and spot on in his forecasts...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

highdef wrote: »
    For those in Wicklow and maybe even North Wexford, looks like there could be some heavy snow heading your way in the next hour or so, separate to anything that may be falling now :eek:

Getting home from the big smoke lately sounds like fun :D, I live roughly 200 asl near the Wex/Wicklow border.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Snow and a little rain in Dublin 5..

Edit maybe not rain, but hail

Kamili wrote: »
    Careful now!

You're obviously new around here, MT is exceptional, and spot on in his forecasts...

;)

-11 tonight then. OK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sky News weather mentioned the main threat of snow for tomorrow will be NE England, eastern Scotland and Eastern Ireland with heavy snow showers making it right across Ireland.

They also mentioned that the air will become much more unstable from this evening onwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement