Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tzmaster90

hope navan/kells gets it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've warned a few friends and family of next weeks potential and they don't really believe me. If the majority of the population outside of this forum have a similar view, then this country is in for a shock to the system next week.

I am still not sold on snow depths or snow frequency next week, but it will certainly be really cold with a windchill that would cut the warmest mountain climbing gear in two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

gozunda wrote: »
    If you zoom in you will see that there were some other inland areas which did not get snow during that period. Notably here - there was no snow but we had weeks of unrelenting ground and air frost which made it look like it had actually snowed. The soil was frozen solid down to a considerable depth. On other surfaces the frost was unnaturally hard and built up in layers on the roads to the extent that it was a solid sheet of ice - centimetres thick in parts. Bushes and trees were covered in a form of hoar frost which resulted in a lot of damage to non hardy plant varities. Ive never seen anything like before or since tbh.

130 m asl
    North Cork Limerick Tipperary border

Yeah I can confirm this too, here in central tipp there was no snow, just a very harsh frost. On the satellite photo it looks white here, but it's just frost. The 2010 event brought no snow for me at all

Just read the met.ie forecast, wow it's epic for the east coast,how I would loved to have experienced this exceptional weather.it will be covered alot better too,which is great,given the east coast/Dublin centric nature of the media.

Amazed it will still be a balmy 5 or 6 degrees here in the west on Monday and Tuesday with the ice days more for the east thereafter.

So jealous.

the east coast certainly gets spoiled with snow, it snows less often there than in western areas but when it does snow, it snows a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

kod87 wrote: »
    the east coast certainly gets spoiled with snow, it snows less often there than in western areas but when it does snow, it snows a lot more

Yes I wonder when the last time there was a disruptive snow event in Mayo,iv never witnessed one and I I guess I never will, or how it would come about synopticly given that it's usually muck from the northwest,would have to be a frontal event I guess.

Were great at the low temperatures or high temperatures in extreme weather though in Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

As MT said it could be a pick your poison type event in the West, sacrificing snow that we have seen quite a coating of in the last month for more extreme lower temperatures than the east, then again looking at FI streamers could fall basically anywhere in the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Yeah I can confirm this too, here in central tipp there was no snow, just a very harsh frost. On the satellite photo it looks white here, but it's just frost. The 2010 event brought no snow for me at all
    I drove from Dublin 15 to SE Tipp in 2010 and 8-10 inches of snow was frozen on the car roof.Everyone kept asking where was i after coming from and people kept pointing when i drove through Clonmel,i felt like the Queen at Ascot or something :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Yes I wonder when the last time there was a disruptive snow event in Mayo,iv never witnessed one and I I guess I never will, or how it would come about synopticly given that it's usually muck from the northwest,would have to be a frontal event I guess.

Were great at the low temperatures or high temperatures in extreme weather though in Mayo.

I thought there was considerable snowfall in Mayo in that wintry spell in mid December last year or am I thinking of somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

It's fair enough though isn't it? Every winter we watch the snow showers on radar in high hopes that one or two will make it to the east and give us even a fleeting flurry of white gold, only to see them die a miserable death every time. This is 7 years of accumulated snow karma about to be unleashed. :pac:

Yes I wonder when the last time there was a disruptive snow event in Mayo,iv never witnessed one and I I guess I never will, or how it would come about synopticly give that it's usually muck from the northwest,would have to be a frontal event I guess.

Christmas 2000 in Castlebar comes to mind, very heavy snow on the 27th, about 16cm fell.

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    It's fair enough though isn't it? Every winter we watch the snow showers on radar in high hopes that one or two will make it to the east and give us even a fleeting flurry of white gold, only to see them die a miserable death every time. This is 8 years of accumulated snow karma about to be unleashed. :pac:

or you could be like me, stuck in the middle of the country. I get to watch showers from both the east and the west struggle to make to me. Fun fun fun

It's fair enough though isn't it? Every winter we watch the snow showers on radar in high hopes that one or two will make it to the east and give us even a fleeting flurry of white gold, only to see them die a miserable death every time. This is 7 years of accumulated snow karma about to be unleashed. :pac:

I'd rather wait 8 years than experience wet sloppy snow that doesn't accumulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

rougies is correct.

I can feel my own personal bitterness feeding directly into the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

It's fair enough though isn't it? Every winter we watch the snow showers on radar in high hopes that one or two will make it to the east and give us even a fleeting flurry of white gold, only to see them die a miserable death every time. This is 8 years of accumulated snow karma about to be unleashed. :pac:

This.

Everything this winter so far is going to look so pathetic by the end of the week, I definitely prefer the situation we have in saying that- I'd rather waiting it out for the big easterly snowfalls than getting marginal Atlantic sourced fleeting snowfalls throughout winter. 8 years is a long time though.

But at the end of the day, snow is snow.

I thought there was considerable snowfall in Mayo in that wintry spell in mid December last year or am I thinking of somewhere else?

There was snow, but very moderate like the last 3 months, the problem with what fell in early December froze over for 4 days and the Council had not provided any gritting, had a relation crack his skull open that week slipping on the ice.

Xenji wrote: »
    There was snow, but very moderate like the last 3 months, the problem with what fell in early December froze over for 4 days and the Council had not provided any gritting, had a relation crack his skull open that week slipping on the ice.

Was very wet snow out at the coast,very slight covering overnight that was gone by mid day.

Drip drop slush slosh.

I guess I love extreme weather events,Ophelia was a complete non event flop in Mayo.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    This.

Everything this winter so far is going to look so pathetic by the end of the week, I definitely prefer the situation we have in saying that- I'd rather waiting it out for the big easterly snowfalls than getting marginal Atlantic sourced fleeting snowfalls throughout winter. 8 years is a long time though.

8 years ya spoilt brats :D.
    The maximum snowfall I have experienced here in 30 years is 8cm. I am due a 2 or 3 foot snowfall at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

What's the best diy way to cover/protect an outside tap?

Machine gun turrets, but mostly preparation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

gabeeg wrote: »
    Machine gun turrets, but mostly preparation.

Em , if you have nothing good to say then it’s best not to say anything at all , it’s not after hours in here

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/_h68gjGsNso

For anybody without an open fire, play this as the gale force blizzard comes down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

http://www.thegardenshop.ie/tap-frost-cover/

Cheap and will do the job for you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I use the foam insulation used for pipes. Cut it to length. The insulation comes with a slit down one side - so just pop that over the body of the tap - up to the spout and use something like plastic covered garden wire wound around the insulation to hold in place. You can cut a separate piece to place over the nozzle of tap when not in use.

tubolit-pipe-insulation-dgt13812s-64_1000.jpg

Likewise Pete.

I meant literally zero offence to anyone. Apologies if you don't like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Leave it running slowly . Wrap it in anything you got. Old insulation perhaps

Was very wet snow out at the coast,very slight covering overnight that was gone by mid day.

Drip drop slush slosh.

I guess I love extreme weather events,Ophelia was a complete non event flop in Mayo.

It fell heavier on the Sunday morning here, remember putting a picture Sunday lunchtime of it up on here, it then froze over till the following Wednesday causing chaos in the town as the Council actually did nothing.

Not the best article, but from the Connaught Telegraph about it.

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/rou...illors-demand/

Mayo has been hit badly in the last few weeks with snow and ice, I know people driving in from Roscommon last week nearly had a 3 hour drive to get into Castlebar.

Ah Ophelia was your typical Atlantic Storm here, Dylan on the other hand was the real deal, it was forecast completely incorrectly by Met Eireann, not having a go but it was, a yellow warning and we get a max gust of 118 km/hr in Castlebar knocking out power to the hospital and half the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

irishgeo wrote: »
    Leave it running slowly . Wrap it in anything you got. Old insulation perhaps

^^^That will only empty your tank or help empty the local reservoir. Thats what happened around here when people tried that in 2010 ...

gabeeg wrote: »
    Likewise Pete.

I meant literally zero offence to anyone. Apologies if you don't like me.

Nothing to do with liking you gabeeg , although I do get the daily pleasure of cleaning up the thread with the felllow mod team as folks report posts

gozunda wrote: »
    ^^^That will only empty your tank or help empty the local reservoir. Thats what happened around here when people tried that in 2010 ...

Did that actually happen though?

Was there masses of people leaving their taps running? I remember being scorned by politicians about it, but I hadn't even considered it until they mentioned it.

I have a bad feeling that we're going to see at least a repeat of the pipe freezing we saw in 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

This.

Tell that to guys across Northern Ireland. Netweather Ireland a guys shed roof collapsed under the weight of snow, he had well over a foot. They had loads this winter lasting for days and days at times. You'd never expect anything really with a Westerly crazy to think about. Most of the time for proper snow that lasts for long you need a real Northerly or a real easterly. To get snow from a Westerly is a bonus really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement