Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Hail/sleet mix in Ringsend. Has blown through for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

JCX BXC wrote: »
    That rain and possibly sleet the Eagle forecasted wasn't very accurate ;)

Hopefully the rest wasn’t either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

A question for the more learned contributors here: if a RED alert is going to be issued, when would that likely be??

Be surprised if it was wasn't issued this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

alentejo wrote: »
    I recon that the first event i.e. snow showers late Tuesday to Wednesday will be a non event in Dublin. Just does not seem to be the moisture there. I could of course be wrong but it does seem a little ramped up!!.

When did you get your Meteorological Degree?

You don't think there is enough 'moisture' in the Irish Sea? LOL!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Graupel and snow on and off for the last hour in Dublin 15.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The HIRLAM model for showers been pretty bang on this morning, down to county and intensity more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    That rain and possibly sleet the Eagle forecasted wasn't very accurate ;)

Yep, plenty of heavy flurries in Dublin 3 today. Not sticking though because too much sunny breaks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

No news on raising status to Red until tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/nicole_gernon/status/968465653291274241

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Hail shower now in Blanch.....wheres the good stuff!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

Brief but fairly heavy snow shower in Sandyford just now. Didn't stick but a sign of things to come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Here... whats the craic? I thought all these streamers were forecast to be making an impact inland/westwards by now??
    The vast majority are simply sliding down the Irish sea !

I've seen posters say the wind is due to change etc to a more easterly direction and high pressure will ease to allow larger showers form but how long are we talking here ?

PS Very sorry to see Arklow has survived

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭the 12 th man

Starting to snow here, blizzard like in Blessington

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

D2 has had snow, sleet, snow and hail in that order in very tiny amounts so far today

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Danno wrote: »
    Quite windy in south Laois. 1.2c with a dewpoint of -4.5c. Partly cloudy. Pressure beginning to fall fast 1027hPa now compared to a steady 1032hPa-1033hPa yesterday and last night.

I'm in Portlaoise and I love all your updates! Keep them coming please and thank you.

No sign of snow in Portlaoise right now. I thought it wasn't really supposed to kick off til tomorrow anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

Huge shower all of a sudden in blessington.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/sfNoB9wFhYjzA3Jm1

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

D2 has had snow, sleet, snow and hail in that order in very tiny amounts so far today

And now the sun is back out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

National Emergency Co-ordination Group Briefing on Extreme Weather

They're streaming the briefing live for anyone interested in tuning in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Starting to snow here, blizzard like in Blessington

I never know whether to believe these type of posts or not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am working outdoors near Galway. The wind is very cold but there is real warmth from the sun.

There is no way that snow will persist on the ground once the sun appears

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

barney 20v wrote: »
    Here... whats the craic? I thought all these streamers were forecast to be making an impact inland/westwards by now??
    The vast majority are simply sliding down the Irish sea !

I've seen posters say the wind is due to change etc to a more easterly direction and high pressure will ease to allow larger showers form but how long are we talking here ?

PS Very sorry to see Arklow has survived

The real stuff is not due until later this evening. Could even be after dark....which would be nice so we don't have a chaotic rush hour commute.

In other news, there has very recently been a heavy blowing snow shower in north Kildare....I don't use the word "heavy" very often. Visibility was down to about 600m for a short while. Started as small flakes and Graupel and then went to full on large flakes with a little bit of a temporary covering however temperatures are too high for proper settling, for the moment at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Tabnabs wrote: »
    No news on raising status to Red until tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/nicole_gernon/status/968465653291274241

not to be overly pedantic but "we should know by tomorrow" is not the same as "we will not say before tomorrow".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Discodog wrote: »
    I am working outdoors near Galway. The wind is very cold but there is real warmth from the sun.

There is no way that snow will persist on the ground once the sun appears

The West is not due any snow anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Blizzard here in Tallaght

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Tons of tiny sideways snow dumping down in citywest campus right now. Gusty snow

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

eh? Lovely sunshine in D14

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

alentejo wrote: »
    I recon that the first event i.e. snow showers late Tuesday to Wednesday will be a non event in Dublin. Just does not seem to be the moisture there. I could of course be wrong but it does seem a little ramped up!!.

Is that based on a hunch or do you have some stats to back up your theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

pilly wrote: »
    The West is not due any snow anyway?

If we do get it in the west it won't be until Thurs as I understand it. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Blizzard here in Tallaght

Also in Tallaght. No blizzard.

I don’t think ‘blizzard’ means what you appear to think it means...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Graupel in st Stephens green, scattered cloud, ground wet, doenst even feel particularly cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

National Emergency Co-ordination Group Briefing on Extreme Weather

They're streaming the briefing live for anyone interested in tuning in.

The facial expressions of your one doing the sign language are great. Real expression of utter disbelief as the experts were saying everything is undercontrol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement