Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

pilly wrote: »
    Discodog wrote: »
    I am working outdoors near Galway. The wind is very cold but there is real warmth from the sun.

There is no way that snow will persist on the ground once the sun appears

The West is not due any snow anyway?

Dont you say that!!!!!

It is a gorgeous day in Galway. Heavenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

endacl wrote: »
    Also in Tallaght. No blizzard.

I don’t think ‘blizzard’ means what you appear to think it means...

Maybe you're not outside in it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Shlippery wrote: »
    Tons of tiny sideways snow dumping down in citywest campus right now. Gusty snow

and thats the end of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

Can we tone down the personal attacks and snide comments directed towards other users please?
    The thread is busy enough without generating a huge volume of reported posts for no reason.
    Focus on the weather :)

Posts discussing Severe Winter Weather preparations/Closures/Driving Tips/Travel advice etc have been moved to the dedicated thread HERE

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

endacl wrote: »
    Also in Tallaght. No blizzard.

I don’t think ‘blizzard’ means what you appear to think it means...

I knew it wasn't true. Will people just feck off with that crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Bought some heavy duty bags this morning in Mr price. Going to try use the big plastic storage tubs from Ikea. I think they might just work!

Applgreen petrol stations selling sleds 2 for a fiver. Hail/Graupel in D18 for a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Irish Sea facing Dublin is not being very generous as yet. Let's see if it peps up this evening. We are now within the expected temporal boundaries of 'the beast from the east' - ('the cold arrives monday night' - was the mantra) so the clock has started ticking on our expected accumulations for snow.

I still believe that expectations of more than 10cm lying snow in urban Dublin this week will not be satisfied. Much as I would love to be corrected I cannot see it from 2 days of streamer activity at the end of winter, topped up by a more organised belt of snow which looks more anaemic (for Dublin) on each model run I see.

I have yet to seen a coat of lying snow on the ground at my location in Fairview since St Stephen's Day, 2010.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Having a quick gawk while eating my ham sandwich and having a mug of tea. Money to be made. I’ll reappraise once I see I’m in danger of getting snowed in.

Mod Note :

If you want to interact with the thread with useful and worthwhile posts by all means do so , if you want to continue to low level troll you will be banned , this is the busiest thread on boards the last few days so were are taking a zero tolerance approach to messing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Forecast from Joanna Donnelly

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1jMJgqWeggWKL

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Irish Sea facing Dublin is not being very generous as yet. Let's see if it peps up this evening. We are now within the expected temporal boundaries of 'the beast from the east' - ('the cold arrives monday night' - was the mantra) so the clock has started ticking on our expected accumulations for snow.

I still believe that expectations of more than 10cm lying snow in urban Dublin this week will not be satisfied. Much as I would love to be corrected I cannot see it from 2 days of streamer activity at the end of winter, topped up by a more organised belt of snow which looks more anaemic (for Dublin) on each model run I see.

I have yet to seen a coat of lying snow on the ground at my location in Fairview since St Stephen's Day, 2010.

Its not due to start really producing till after dark this evening

• Advertisement

Also, it is only in the last 24 hours that people have had their expectations managed for graupel/hail/sleet to be falling at this point rather than snow. So that to me is a MAJOR downgrade. And yes, I am aware it is snowing it south wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

dacogawa wrote: »
    How I see some of boards over the next few days... :rolleyes:

Tuesday Morning:
    1. Will it snow in my back garden?
    2. It wont stick if it does come
    3. Some small FLAKES!
    4. Lovely sunny crisp day, dog happily running around garden

Wednesday Morning:
    1. There's some SNOW in my back garden
    2. Seems to be sticking a bit, won't last
    3. Snoooooooooow!!!
    4. Looks a bit colder through my window, dog not as happy in garden

Thursday Morning:
    1. There is quite a bit of snow in my garden :eek:
    2. I might have got this wrong, seems like it's sticking a lot
    3. Sideways snow!
    4. Defiantly colder, dog wants to come in

Friday Morning:
    1. I can't find my garden
    2. I was the one who said it was going to stick!
    3. Eh, probably a bit much now :o
    4. Can't find my dog

Saturday:
    Why weren't we warned about this??

Its not due to start really producing till after dark this evening

A few days ago it would have been a consensus that with current uppers Dublin would now be under fire from streamers, though I know the short term forecasts are now saying tonight. I am going on what my expectation, and I am sure many other's were rather than this morning's forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Grapal here in Virginia. Not holding my breath for snow later though but this must up our chances.

More often than not when Meath is in a warning we get it more so than when Cavan is warned so hopefully a little flurry would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I'm just viewing this thread for info and have literally no expertise, but my expectations were always that it was Tuesday night before anything would kick off. Haven't been expecting any snow before then.

A few days ago it would have been a consensus that with current uppers Dublin would now be under fire from streamers, though I know the short term forecasts are now saying tonight. I am going on what my expectation, and I am sure many other's were rather than this morning's forecast.

This what was quoted in the OP many days ago

Tuesday

Increasingly frequent and heavy snow showers effecting eastern counties (these may fall as rain, hail or sleet in the morning/early afternoon). The snow accumulating by evening. Mainly dry elsewhere. A little milder than Monday in parts.

Snow showers frequent and becoming more widespread overnight as winds turn more ENE. Further accumulations. Disruption likely Wednesday morning.

Raw. Top temperatures 0 to 6c (coldest in the east)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Cleared here in Arklow at the moment,a nice antipasti :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

D2 has had snow, sleet, snow and hail in that order in very tiny amounts so far today

Very tiny...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭the 12 th man

Hail stones now here in Blessington

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Models firmed up on the idea of an initial mild sector days ago. Yesterday most posters including myself spoke of only isolated accumulations inland, with graupel likely on the coast due to this mild sector. Look at the charts, conditions are poor/mediocre now compared to whats on the cards for tomorrow. As I have stated, imby (exposed Dublin coast) my only worry is the strength of the wind that could make showers more short lived, but its meant to lighten down a bit later on when uppers become very favourable for snow. So favourable it would snow and stick 300 metres below sea level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Had a quick snow shower in cork city (light flurry) but it's a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heaviest shower of the day in Naas now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Wind has picked up in kildare and gone very dark ...spitting light snow at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Maybe you're not outside in it.

Nice and sunny now. Hope there’s not another blizzard!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Graupel falling in Donegal here now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Saturday:
    Why weren't we warned about this??

Ha, I wasn't going as far as Saturday if Met.ie won't try to predict past Thursday night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

large hail here in naas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Forecast from Joanna Donnelly

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1jMJgqWeggWKL

By the way she was talking I think red warnings will be confined to the east/south east.

Also interesting update from UK met office who believe that the south of the uk could have fresh snowfall up until Saturday and not rain as thought previously. That must be good for here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Not a flake of snow here in Bisopstown.................yet anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Bright sunshine and a slight breeze in Kilkenny City.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement