Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

harr wrote: »
    So heavy rain for the south on Friday ? That’s the forecast on the 1o clock news

There is a lot of uncertainty about Friday. We won't know till tomorrow or maybe Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

jasper100 wrote: »
    Met Eireann giving -5 as the lowest for Munster tonight. I wouldn't pay much heed of what anybody else says TBH.

I'm not saying we will get - 11 but considering the skies over my area look like they will be fairly clear overnight it is possible we may see lower temps than -5. I've been following MT's forecasts on a daily basis for along time now and he is usually not far off the mark with his forecasts. He's not always right of course but then again weather events like the one we are about to experience over the next couple of days is hard to nail down until nearer the time. Met Eireann try to forecast up to ten days which Is fine as beyond that time frame models can chop and change making it extremely difficult for forecasters to predict what will happen beyond that time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

A few light flurries here - I'm surprised didn't think we'd see anything until Thursday and really cold out too.
    South Sligo
    90M Asl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭bassy

Very light graupel falling here in north kilkenny

They courtesy of meteogroup had the precipitation only over east munster and much of leinster
    Quite the uncertainty

For what day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Time to unfollow this thread and just keep following the technical one now we have the people going "ah shur tis not as bad, be working friday like" when the weather forecasts haven't even got that nailed down yet hence the wait on additional warnings for Thursday plus Friday....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Blackrock Galway it's 6℃ 28/02/18IMAG3075_zpsdsw8yy5g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Starting to snow now in Carlow, winds have also picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

You can make out the spiral of rain cloud on the rainfall radar, not a cold front but an actual low going from east to west, very unusuall, not sure whether to call it a polar low or not...

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/radar2/WEB_radar4_201802271330.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

For what day?

Both days
    Thursday into friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Change occuring here now in west mayo,had been calm and pleasant all morning,grey clouds gathering to my north east,wind has picked up too,feels bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Bbc NI weather had snow from mizen head to malin head on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

This is a disgrace if it doesn't snow in Cork. It's called the Beast from the East ffs! Surely it's false advertising????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

typhoony wrote: »
    You can make out the spiral of rain cloud on the rainfall radar, not a cold front but an actual low going from east to west, very unusuall, not sure whether to call it a polar low or not...

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/radar2/WEB_radar4_201802271330.png

Yeah, I noticed that too, how odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Old Mr Brennan must be spinning in his grave.

Gonzo wrote: »
    BBC still showing all snow for Friday and another band of snow on Sunday.

Friday still doesn't looked nailed, still so much chopping and changing between forecasts.

That ties in with UK met office update which brings snowline back to south uk. Obviously this storm Emma is not making as much northern progress as initially modelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,142 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Big flakes falling in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lawnmo

Watched people scrambling through Lidl at lunchtime in vain for sliced pans and milk. If a major catastrophe was imminent, I could understand, but not a two day snow event.
    When Ophelia came round, there were queues to get into the local centra. Hysteria. Real end of days stuff. I just wanted to pick up some match attacks for the nephew!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

http://www.wicklowcam.com/

Whatever is approaching Wicklow looks exciting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

daveyeh wrote: »
    DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERES ANY F**KING BREAD LEFT ANYWHERE?

Few half pans left in SuperValu HSQ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Clontarf - chilly (-2 degrees colder) when the sun hides behind the clouds.

443071.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    Question:

Someone in work just told me that apparently you're not insured to drive your car while there is a red weather warning in place.

Any truth to that does anyone know?

I remember that this very same question came up during the Ophelia red warning. The simple answer is no there is no truth to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Are we still looking at 6" of snow across Leinster later today as forecast on official boards forecast on Sunday?

Heavy snow is likely to develop late in the day across Leinster. 5 to 15 cms possible there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I always thought the beast from the east was Larry Murphy, different kettle of fish altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Jim Gazebo wrote: »

Temps of 4c and dp 0 so it will probably be a rain/sleet mix. Looking forward to tonight when temps drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

roddy15 wrote: »
    Time to unfollow this thread and just keep following the technical one now we have the people going "ah shur tis not as bad, be working friday like" when the weather forecasts haven't even got that nailed down yet hence the wait on additional warnings for Thursday plus Friday....

Some of the nonsense being posted here is insane. Every Walter Mitty must have his 2c.

There has been no change in any of the guidance forecasters have available to them since 10am, 6am if you consider the models they actually tend to depend on.

Re read the first post in this thread by Kermit. It will be evening (that is after dark when temps plummet) before there will be any appreciable accumulations. Rattles being thrown out of prams at this stage is beyond ridiclous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Moderate graupel shower in north kildare has eased to light snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

What I find amusing is that most of the stuff people were panic buying will be out of date by the time it hits! Lovely sunny day here in Cork, what could possibly go wrong. I reassured my wife we could just walk to the pub if we got snowed in until she reminded me the manager lives miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lawnmo

Jim Gazebo wrote: »

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Just heard the Dublin public services are closing shop on Thursday and Friday. Seems they're expecting the more serious forecasts to come true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement