Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

gabeeg wrote: »
    Did that actually happen though?

Was there masses of people leaving their taps running? I remember being scorned by politicians about it, but I hadn't even considered it until they mentioned it.

I have a bad feeling that we're going to see at least a repeat of the pipe freezing we saw in 2010.

There was one household near here whose underground pipe to the house froze so they opened the stopcock at the road and left it run - taking what they needed when they felt like it. I remember the water was running down the road and then freezing. Pure friggin stupidity imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

http://www.thegardenshop.ie/tap-frost-cover/

Cheap and will do the job for you

Walked past them 100 times in Lidl..
    Lidl always knows the CraícðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

There were massive nationwide water shortages caused by a combination of wastage and leaks 2010. Was front page news for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

sdanseo wrote: »
    There were massive nationwide water shortages caused by a combination of wastage and leaks 2010. Was front page news for weeks.

Yeah, but nothing much has changed except that our water system is 8 years older and has suffered a 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I love how this forum spikes sooo much before a snow event like this.

Great to see all of the same dedicated and diligent people posting here and the mods doing a good job with separate threads. A big thanks to MT, Kermit etc I dont log in often enough to say thanks but im sure there are allot of people like me who have learned so much from reading yer posts daily. 2010 brought me here and I have never looked back.
    I remember when I saw IWO on Facebook first I knew exactly who it was :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I'd rather wait 8 years than experience wet sloppy snow that doesn't accumulate.

Im right on the east coast I'll get very dry fluffy snow that also wont accumulate. At least not for very long.
    I'll eat my phone if temperatures manages to get below zero with an east wind blasting across the longest fetch of the Irish Sea. Maybe during heavy showers it will, but otherwise I'm expecting air and surface temps to be a little too high to stop the snow from slowly disappearing between falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Yeah, but nothing much has changed except that our water system is 8 years older and has suffered a 2010.

Back in 2010, the water system was in ****e, mains pipe burst outside our house, flooded the road then froze over, was like an ice rink, the lads that came to repair it had to do it during the thurdersnow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Not long now until the latest runs. This week is going to play havoc with my body clock. Lamppost outside my house fused earlier in the week. Thankfully was fixed today lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

jesus, you just reminded me about thunder snow :D:D
    I remember driving very late a few nights the first day or two of the snow and seeing blue flashes in the sky and thinking I was going mad :eek:

Also waiting for next runs :D s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Not long now until the latest runs. This week is going to play havoc with my body clock. Lamppost outside my house fused earlier in the week. Thankfully was fixed today lol

We are way past lamp-post watching.

There's a chance that you won't be able to see your lampost for all the snow.

• Advertisement

We are way past lamp-post watching.

There's a chance that you won't be able to see your lampost for all the snow.

To be fair that lamppost must think I'm a right freak. I've been staring at her behind the curtains in a darkened room in the middle of the night for years now so she'll probably be glad if I can't lol

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

gfs-16-168.png?18

Fantasy Island since its a week away but looks nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

dermiek wrote: »
    gfs-16-168.png?18

Fantasy Island since its a week away but looks nice.

that would have 10-15 cms over me, I don't believe that for a second, but as you say it pure fantasy from the models.

Latest GFS so far all of Ireland is buried. Link above is 18z. 00z is even more mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Map looks like it was coloured in by Junior Infants lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm struggling to understand how to interpret these charts.

What do the colours mean here? I don't think it's temperature, but it doesn't seem to be air pressure either. Does it represent instability or liklihood of precipitation?

I've looked up the meaning of geopotential height but don't really know what it means for interpreting charts.

IMG_20180224_043134.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

To be fair that lamppost must think I'm a right freak. I've been staring at her behind the curtains in a darkened room in the middle of the night for years now so she'll probably be glad if I can't lol

Get an IP camera and place it on your windowsill. I have two monitors on my PC and which I can see from my bed. I leave the cameraview on one screen at night so if I hear anything peculiar I can just glance over and see what's happening. On two occasions, I witnessed an intruder on my property, one tired to jimmy open the door with a screwdriver and the other peeking in my car window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm struggling to understand how to interpret these charts.

What do the colours mean here? I don't think it's temperature, but it doesn't seem to be air pressure either. Does it represent instability or liklihood of precipitation?

I've looked up the meaning of geopotential height but don't really know what it means for interpreting charts.

IMG_20180224_043134.jpg

They’re a measure of how cold the air is from cloud to ground
    Below 522 is usually snow
    Those are nearer 500
    Quite Blizzardatious

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Daz9716

Those are nearer 500
    Quite Blizzardatious

That's a definite model to keep an eye on, did people are met eirreans forcast on there page they said the weather warning is most likely gonna change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Daz9716 wrote: »
    That's a definite model to keep an eye on, did people are met eirreans forcast on there page they said the weather warning is most likely gonna change

At a guess orange warnings may go out from Monday
    Reds after that locally depending on latest model guidance and human opinion
    I’d be surprised if the national emergency co ordination committee isn’t on your screens soon

• Advertisement

They aren't too happy on netweather but that's for Southern England. Ireland looks great.

Anyone got an idea what the highest house in the wicklow mountains is? Wherever it is will be crazy this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Daz9716

At a guess orange warnings may go out from Monday
    Reds after that locally depending on latest model guidance and human opinion
    I’d be surprised if the national emergency co ordination committee isn’t on your screens soon

I hope so too but the models look at alot of snow like 15+cm and that's a red warning for snow in this country , if they **** up they have nobody to blame but themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

While I'm excited, I'm also worried that the 2018 event will leave me all bitter and disillusioned like the 2010 event did (where I got no snow at all). It's very frustrating to come so close to something exceptional but to miss out by small margins.
    I know the end of next week is still up in the air as regards model predictions but I'm worried there might not be enough precipitation around (apart from localised in the east) and this will end in disappointment.

I suppose we just have to wait and see what happens.

Those are nearer 500
    Quite Blizzardatious

Ah I see, thanks.
    So, the distance between pressure zones is indicative of the air temperatures between them...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I can't see the need for grown adults raving about snow. Ireland can't handle snow and it's just make people lives harder.

Grown adults getting all upset because it didn't snow.

Sure it's going to be an interesting event but the adults moaning because it didn't snow on them and blaming met eireann is just childish.

Be careful for what you wish for. Maybe you'll be snowed in and without electricity then and will be a whinge at the council or someone else for not warning you and being prepared.

Updated forecast from ME at 05:00h

Wednesday through to Friday:

Extremely cold with severe frosts and daytime temperatures struggling to get above zero by day especially in eastern counties. Widespread snow showers at times, most especially in eastern, southern and northern counties and some disruptive accumulations are likely especially these areas and there is a weather advisory in operation, which will be continuously updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2018022400/ECM0-168.GIF?24-12

Storming ECM this morning.
    Super red alert for the South by Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

next weekend is snow heaven going by the ECM
    . The whole week looks great .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭the 12 th man

Can't believe I'm awake and reading the boards (through squinted eyes cause I can't focus) at 6.30am

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement