Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

bazlers wrote: »
    Is there a reason we are still at level 1. Are we not in a reliable time frame?

Following ME official warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Ok cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

What will the North look like next week?My wife is due to go to Belfast for two days for work (Tuesday-Wednesday) and it’s looking dodgy locally (Meath) but I haven’t seen anything about further north.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: As JCX BXC said, there appear to be a lot of experts on here this morning?

If somebody has an alternative forecast....to what the actual experts/professionals are forecasting....please back up your forecast with proof (by means of charts or alternative sources).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Panrich wrote: »
    What will the North look like next week?My wife is due to go to Belfast for two days for work (Tuesday-Wednesday) and it’s looking dodgy locally (Meath) but I haven’t seen anything about further north.

Probably not worth the risk looking at the current charts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Rest of the country perspective for a moment:
    I dont think the initial days will bring snow my way. I think cork may get some, tipp may get some but I think Mon-Weds looks dry to me for lowland kerry, limerick, clare. Maybe a couple of flurries.
    Thurs- Fri looks very interesting though. Will be good to see how the charts evolve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

ch750536 wrote: »
    I dont think the initial days will bring snow my way. I think cork may get some, tipp may get some but I think Mon-Weds looks dry to me for lowland kerry, limerick, clare. Maybe a couple of flurries.
    Thurs- Fri looks very interesting though. Will be good to see how the charts evolve.

I'm not sure even tipp will see anything, easterly sourced showers simply never make it that far (i'm basing this on past experiences, maybe this time it will be different), maybe later in the week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

ECM is relentless..
    Anyone for a snowball fight on St.Patrick's day?

Some of the folk on NW predicting 70-90 cm of snow for parts of the UK east coast.

Working in aviation for 20 years now i suspect the next 2 weeks are going to be extremely difficult across western Europe but especially the UK and here where we just can't cope with heavy snow events.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ch750536 wrote: »

Yeah I am in north cork and not expecting too much Tuesday/Wednesday. I could get lucky but it's hit or miss with showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Travel predicament here also, we've booked a trip to London for the half marathon, From Saturday to Tuesday, I know the disruption is to start from the previous Monday, however we are travelling with a six month old and to the UK where things look as bad!

Cancel or hold out and see if it looks to be clearing by travel day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well it looks like it will be an interesting week if nothing else. It looks like cork will get some snow which personally I'm excited to see even though I actually hate icy conditions as I can't walk in them.

And I take it met Eireann will issue Amber/ red warnings when they feel they are necessary ? Do they consult the government in those warnings or do the government act when they see those warnings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

What are snow chances in Athlone region we didn't get huge snow fall in 2010 but the frosts were bad. Can remember a fire in late December that year hydrants were frozen and water in hoses froze in minutes when not in use. M6 to Dublin can be slick enough when we get heavy rain on it just planning ahead TIA.

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Travel predicament here also, we've booked a trip to London for the half marathon, From Saturday to Tuesday, I know the disruption is to start from the previous Monday, however we are travelling with a six month old and to the UK where things look as bad!

Cancel or hold out and see if it looks to be clearing by travel day?

The Uk met office expect the second week of March to be wintry and cold as well. Whatever about travelling as adults alone, being stranded with a six month old child would definitely not be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If anything the latest runs are getting more severe for Ireland, the core of deep low thicknesses are coming further north and the gradient is tightening.

There is the real risk of blizzards along the east coast next week with frequent heavy snow showers and gale force easterly winds

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winterstale

Bought 6 year old second hand BMW recently and am concerned about being able to get to work next week. Rear wheel drive and the forecasted snow is not a good mix I hear. Central Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

If anything the latest runs are getting more severe for Ireland, the core of deep low thicknesses are coming further north and the gradient is tightening.

There is the real risk of blizzards along the east coast next week with frequent heavy snow showers and gale force easterly winds
    Gale force winds? Sounds like snowball fights will need to swap ends at half time to make it a bit fairer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Is there a small worry though about that low pressure later in the week could come too far north and allow higher 850’s to bring a rain/snow mix into southern counties?

Can’t beleive I’m posting this after drooling over the ECM, but a genuine question nonetheless.

Bought 6 year old second hand BMW recently and am concerned about being able to get to work next week. Rear wheel drive and the forecasted snow is not a good mix I hear. Central Meath.

For some reason when I read that, I thought you bought your 6 year old son/daughter a BMW. I need coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I've heard that if you put a good weight in the boot - a couple of bags of coal, for example - it will help with the traction. I had one in 2010 and it took me 5 mins to get across one icy junction due to constant slipping. If I had one now, I'd be considering snow socks or leaving it in the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

pad199207 wrote: »
    Is there a small worry though about that low pressure later in the week could come too far north and allow higher 850’s to bring a rain/snow mix into southern counties?

Can’t beleive I’m posting this after drooling over the ECM, but a genuine question nonetheless.

It is a threat by the weekend - but more a threat for southern England, so there could be some toys being thrown out of the pram on other forums, but for us it is perfect or not whatever your perspective.

The EC has 15cm of snow by Thursday morning in central Dublin.

• Advertisement

It is a threat by the weekend - but more a threat for southern England, so there could be some toys being thrown out of the pram on other forums, but for us it is perfect or not whatever your perspective.

The EC has 15cm of snow by Thursday morning in central Dublin.

What about Kildare? ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

onmebike wrote: »
    I'd be considering snow socks or leaving it in the drive.

I ordered snow socks an hour ago....picking them up later this morning!

Yep that's a worry allude don't to by MT earlier in the technical thread. I am reading on NW that uk met office don't expect front to come further north than the midlands there and ties in with colder weather for first half of march.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭secman

onmebike wrote: »
    I've heard that if you put a good weight in the boot - a couple of bags of coal, for example - it will help with the traction. I had one in 2010 and it took me 5 mins to get across one icy junction due to constant slipping. If I had one now, I'd be considering snow socks or leaving it in the drive.
    I had one back in 2010 and I have a small incline of 100 m long to get out on to main road....a nightmare, ended up parking it for 2 weeks and getting luas to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

It’s yet to be resolved
    In January 1982 I was listening to the radio one 1155pm forecast,it was already snowing hard here in Arklow at that stage in a gale off the sea
    The report from Rosslare was rain and snow
    The same happened in cork city
    It stayed as snow here throughout and the rest as they say is history

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The charts will change as the week goes on but a real possibility of heavy snow towards the weekend. This chart from the ECM showing the potential . To be seen as a guide at present, fine details well off yet.

6u9RJ1B.png

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

One other driving tip that I picked up was around moving off on an icy surface.

Put the car into 2nd gear and just ease the clutch out - no accelerator. Even on an incline. A taxi driver helped me over the M50 with that gem. I was sure it was going to cut out as the revs would need to be a little higher, but it got me over OK.

Well if the low does behave for us and stays as all snow I don’t want to here any cork folks moaning about snow for years after this!
    ;)

The charts will change as the week goes on but a real possibility of heavy snow towards the weekend. This chart from the ECM showing the potential . To be seen as a guide at present, fine details well off yet.

6u9RJ1B.png

cork snow shield down for maintenance next week then

• Advertisement

If that came to pass the Cork Snow shield myth would be confined to history!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement