Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Bit of snow in cork city and it's sticking to cars a bit, stopped again though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I think Ive been following this thread and the technical one for nearly a week now and I have to say the predictions and forecasts so far have been extremely accurate..

Well done to all those who have kept us all informed and up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Kamili wrote: »
    Still nothing in D16. Family and friends here are rounding on me for suggesting this might be a bad snow event. Some are seriously P/Od

Give it a few hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭thomil

Shadylou wrote: »
    Bit of snow in cork city and it's sticking to cars a bit, stopped again though

Just started in Ballincollig, thanks for passing it on ;)

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,043 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As for those from cork know the northside of the city is a joy to get out of in a morning where there is snow. Old finbarr could have built the city so where for jaysus sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork airport reporting a temperature of -1c and moderate snow showers with a vis of 1200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Belting down in Douglas, cork for the last 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 40,043 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

leahyl wrote: »
    Stopped in cork for the moment

So there's more on the way then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Near Cork City and the snow is stacked about 5 inches up the windows already,it's really blizzard like atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So there's more on the way then ?

Who knows, I’m being optimistic :-D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ballincollig cork, nó snow, very windy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Give it a few hours...

I tried that one, my credibility is lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

still snowing heavy here in douglas - cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Not a huge amount yet in Sandyford - still the odd flurry. However, what fell at 6pm has stayed as the temp has dropped to between 0 and 1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭brevity

Nothing in Northish Cork

*Kicks snow shovel in frustration*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Was this forcast at all ? Dublin was the big place getting snow.

Yes, Eastern and Southern counties mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭the 12 th man

MTs update,

Snow is likely to become heavier and more widespread after midnight, with present scattered outbreaks continuing to drift west, while more extensive sea-effect streamers will form as colder air aloft reaches the Irish Sea and the wind gradient picks up overnight. Would not be surprised to find 5 to 15 cm snowfalls in Leinster by the morning commute.

Little change to earlier forecast from new guidance, will just mention that Wednesday likely to see continuing widespread snow showers, heavy at times, and further accumulations 10 to 20 cm, tapering to trace amounts to 3 cm on west coast. The main reason for the update was to give any new perspectives on the Thursday-Friday snow potential and whether that would change over to rain at least in the south. The latest guidance seems slightly more supportive of the idea that heavy snow would continue well into Friday and any change would be limited to south coast, most of lower elevation Kerry and perhaps a few places a little further north (inland) but the snow would end without much if any liquid precipitation or thawing, although temperatures may creep up slightly on the weekend allowing a slow erosion of the snow depths likely to be attained by mid to late Friday.

So at this point I am still thinking blizzard-like heavy snow is possible and 20 to 50 cms may accumulate over that period, but as we should have better guidance available by the morning and we still have Wednesday's significant event to come, there is a wide range of possible outcomes for snow, best bet is around 25 cms on the average (10 to 15 further northwest) in many places and 40 cms not uncommon in central and southeast Leinster.

Next update will be the morning forecast at the usual time (0700h to 0730h).

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

We have lift off in D 16

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Ballincollig cork, nó snow, very windy though.

it got very windy here in douglas before the snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

What's wrong with the tech tread keep getting error 404

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Kamili wrote: »
    Still nothing in D16. Family and friends here are rounding on me for suggesting this might be a bad snow event. Some are seriously P/Od

They will throw you into the lake to see whether you're a witch or not. God bless your soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

The beast has ****ed the cork shield away. I love this beast whole place white in minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Really coming down here in Newbridge . On the bus in and top window covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Got a good lashing in east cork, stuck to cars easily. Seems to have stopped....time for football now, be frozen in seconds!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Snow. The only time 4 inches can keep a woman in bed all day long.

That's what she said :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Flight at midday tomorrow to a meeting in Germany I am unprepared for?

What say ye, work all night or pints and prayers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

As mentioned earlier, there is definitely a snow train/streamer developing in the north Irish Sea. It's currently looking like delivering to parts of North Dublin, south Meath and north Kildare....assuming it continues developing and stays in its current trajectory.

Being caught in a snow train is too good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Nothing northside cork city yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement