Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

pad199207 wrote: »
    Any heading down the N7 Corridor?

Kill/Naas area was a complete whiteout when I left around 6.30. Heavy snow. sticking instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

2km E of Drogheda and that was a heavy hail shower for me. Place white nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Anyone else by the way eating like a horse this evening? Much more than usual

Trying to get through all that bread George? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

revelman wrote: »
    We had a pretty significant snow shower here in Kinsale in the last hour. We were on our way to Cork and had to turn back because visibility was so poor and car was skidding. Lots of snow on ground now. Amazing that nothing has fallen in City.
    There was snow in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Yes..not completely sure if its nervous anticipation or the cold ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Kingrosie

Nothing happening in Dun Laoghaire at all, not even threatening

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Roads v dangerous around clonakilty with no salt or grit to be seen and we had a small power cut too.

Same here in Kinsale. Roads are a problem right now and I guess will be worse in morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭glightning

For proper heavy snow on a TAF you are really looking for :-

0200 +SN //VV

or

0200 +SHSN //VV

The first is for steady snow and the second for showers.

The 0200 is 200 metres visibility. 200 to 500 is pretty heavy snow. 1000m or more is in my mind relatively light snow. 3000m or more is very light snow.

The //VV is a good indicator of heavy snow and stands for Vertical Visibility Obscured.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

The snow is bucketing down here in Waterford, everything is white

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Watching a lovely heavy shower on Netweather, AccuWeather agreed it was coming. Literly missed me by a few KM. Still expecting a light dusting in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Yes, I had a full nosebag of grub and a few sugar cubes for dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

just back from sledding with the kids in Rochestown, 78m asl. Very pleasant surprise this early into the spell. More please!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

I drove from Dun Laoghire to Carlow about 8pm this evening. M50 and M7 had snow on the hard shoulder all the way. The M9 around Kilcullen was white with just 2 black lines, probably down to lack of traffic in comparison to the M7. Could be fun in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Ah lads shower literly just missed me. Last minute stuff... Feck ya Net weather and AccuWeather minute cast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

er1983 wrote: »
    The snow is bucketing down here in Waterford, everything is white

We've had a lovely dusting here in Glenmore too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

so many posters here and i would guess a lot are new! So understandable that some think this is a non event!
    But give these newbies time, they will eventually come to see that you simply dont doubt the MTs and Kermits and GLs off this world!

Sorry, was going to name about 10 or so more of these brilliant posters but my toast has just popped!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Big snow fall here in cork. The grass cars all covered. Had to get the car up the drive which was an ordeal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Will Cork get a red warning for Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I usually drop my son to the 4.40am bus to Dublin from Kilkenny. The Dublin Coach drivers seem prepared to drive in any conditions and snow doesn't faze them apparently. I'm just thinking that he'll get to Dublin easily enough in the morning but he has to get out to Rathgar and then back in again in the evening to catch the 6pm bus on the quays back to Kilkenny.

I'm surprised there isn't a Dublin Coach special up the Sally Gap this week the way they drive on the N7. Horrific driving. You'd think they'd stolen them.

• Advertisement

North Cork any hope tonight from those in the know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Blizzard like conditions in the city about 2 hours ago in Cork. Was brilliant. Hopefully a sign of things to come 🤗🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Pelting down in Waterford..sorry I couldn't get a better pic but its a tad cold..not bad for our second shower this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

so many posters here and i would guess a lot are new! So understandable that some think this is a non event!
    But give these newbies time, they will eventually come to see that you simply dont doubt the MTs and Kermits and GLs off this world!
    This event is happening and then some!!

Sorry, was going to name about 10 or so more of these brilliant posters but my toast has just popped!!

jamesbere wrote: »
    jamesbere wrote: »

Very difficult to be sure but my guess is if the models say in 12 hours what they said this evening for Thursday night, Leinster and most of Munster will see a red warning.

Whether or not they should is a different thing, but based on MÉ's low red criteria it would seem pretty likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Juppie

Coming down again in Trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

It's all very localised and intermittent so far which is kind of frustrating :)

Saw plenty of streamers off the Wicklow coast earlier on that didn't materialise to anything substantial inland but in the past hour there's been a few showers of something between graupel & snow falling, enough to cover the road here in Wicklow Town. Encouraging for some overnight action.

Air temps locally are prob betweeen 1 & 2.5 with Dewpoint -5ish. Conceivably there could be some areas with nothing tomorrow along the East Coast (talking right on the coast here) but I am hoping anywhere that doesn't have some kind of coating will be an anomaly.

Two very disappointed small kids here after the graupel covered ground and then disappeared. I hope for their sake they get to see some white in the morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Boards is going haywire on me, it's Ophelia all over again :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This thread has crashed boards.ie

Be proud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Looks like those streamers/showers have beefed up a bit more and heading straight for Greater Dublin area.

Edit: Think Boards.ie need to put some €€ in the cloud machine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement