Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sdanseo wrote: »
    Irish sea 10pm vs midnight:

889116fac4bde283adc82b8720e5843a.png

8e33adab43fb7021b66466da7e4f662e.png

3cb8f0d9ea3e1f140ddf4a07ab8b451e.png

The Irish Sea is lighting up like a christmas tree now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Whereabouts are you?

Newbridge kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I'm really dumb when it comes to meteo stuff - what does this mean/indicate

The moisture crossing the North Sea, Britain and then on to us, is being fed through convection in the Irish sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Thankfully, the winds look to be swinging towards a more easterly direction in the 2 hours. I'm in the Isle of Man shadow and the sky is almost clear.

What's the longest unbroken fetch for Dublin? I'm guessing from offshore of Lancaster/Blackpool with a wind just a bit north of directly east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Time for me to give up and head to bed for the night.

More hail pelting down in Dublin cc will be a nice sound to fall asleep to.

But thoughts tonight for the homeless who didn't avail of the accommodation that was put in place. On my walk earlier I seen 5 sleeping rough but volunteers where making sure they had warm drinks and clothing.

I really hope that tomorrow does not bring a fatality. It's all good wishing for our white wonderland but let's also realise it's dangers.

Goodnight all and thank you

Indeed, but the Govt seems to have put in place plenty of shelter for everyone who needs it. Unfortunately if some choose not to avail, there is not much we can do about that really.

And the outreach workers may not be able to find them also. It is a dilemma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The radar shows precipitation.

Here is one. Turn on animation and show precipitation type and you can see how more active it has gotten over the last while over the Irish Sea.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Basically more showers on the radar now then two hours ago, more chance of good snowfall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Looks like Alaska.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

WEB_radar4_201802280100.png

Radar beefing up now.. Early in the night yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Close to two inches here in Naas now. There’s going to be real problems tomorrow if this intensity keeps up!

Definitely orange Level Warning stuff here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

What's the longest unbroken fetch for Dublin? I'm guessing from offshore of Lancaster/Blackpool with a wind just a bit north of directly east

Just messing around with Google Maps and the Blockpool region looks to be the longest fetch.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Well I saw a dusting of show..... I'm working from home tomorrow :D

Nice One!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Persistent graupel /hail/ snow showers now in D13 and we never get $hi* ...can’t really argue with the forecasts and weather warnings. A decent ground covering so far and -2 so I’d certainly be agreeing with the Status Orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

pad199207 wrote: »
    Close to two inches here in Naas now. There’s going to be real problems tomorrow if this intensity keeps up!

And tomorrow’s is an ice day, right. No melt. Continuing showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭fizzlepurplefuz

Feels like there’s a snow shield around the Santry/Ballymun area at the moment, hasn’t snowed for a good few hours now! The pasting we had at 6pm this evening and then a top up just after 10pm and that’s it really :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Still less than that brief covering during the night from a north westerly a few weeks ago here in D14, although every surface has some this time and I have full confidence in a lot more by morning.

The main thing is that they need to grit the roads and grit them often.

Temps are below freezing and staying that way for the forseeable future, at LEAST until Thursday afternoon. If this gets driven on for any length of time, it will freeze, compact, be snowed on again rapidly and boom, 2010 again.

...and 2010 cost me a new clutch, and that was without a commute from Swords to Naas and a rear wheel drive car :(

There's 5 of the 6cm Pad and it's 1.17am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Some posters a lot less active since it has picked up. Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Starting to get a half decent snowfall now in Kilpedder, Wicklow. Not a white out, but probably the most we've had here in one go all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Just had a look at the web cam at temple bar,-light dusting of snow on the cobbles with the lights illuminating the scene. Very picturesque, cold outside contrasted by an inviting" it's warm indoors look". Lovely wintry scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

Villain wrote: »
    Harmonie has snow as far north as Newry over the Border by midnight Thursday night.
    Is there some sort of Northern levy as it passes the border? Do we need a guy in a hot air balloon turning the weather back. Ulster says no all over again. As children goes its always nice to have people who symbolize nothing. May this dusting of snow rest on your head heavily

Saganist wrote: »

The only cure for trolls tomorrow, both online and off, is a snowball to the face.

(don't actually, might be frowned upon)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Streamers developing due east of wexford now on the last few frames of the netweather radar, No sleep for a bit yet

3-hour precip forecast for 3am. Shows 2 to 3cm of snow minimum, possibly up to 6cm (per hour I think, it's 3 hrs in advance rather than the forecast duration, open to correction ? ) in the deep green.

3hr-rain.gif?0120

Saganist wrote: »

Patience is a virtue. I don't know whether it's a result of society today but people want instant gratification. Snow should be here now, why is it an hour late:)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Ok last post for a bit but I’m not sure what to call it ....it’s like blizzard Graupel now in D13 near the coast. Not fine enough to be called snow but not hard enough to be called hail. Wind has really picked up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 P1nkr0ses

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement