Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

There is a definite thaw setting in here whenever it clouds over for any length.

The afternoon heat in the Isle of Man may have helped fire up the first heavy showers around 5pm in North County Dublin. We've had nothing of consequence since just after sunset.

No thaw at all here and there shouldn't be any really even in coastal areas tomorrow, -0.9c here now with heavy snow, DP -5c.

Edit : it's actually stopped suddenly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Kinda glad I left the pub at 10. Wouldn't fancy walking home in that. It's heavy and the wind is rough as fcuk. Looking forward to bringing the kids out in morning though. They've never seen real snow.
    Wonder will schools be open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

There is a definite thaw setting in here whenever it clouds over for any length.

The afternoon heat in the Isle of Man may have helped fire up the first heavy showers around 5pm in North County Dublin. We've had nothing of consequence since just after sunset.

Is the air temperature much above freezing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

kn2k10 wrote: »
    Here's the best picture of the sky i could get through the snow, why did it randomly turn orange?

As said it's the orange street lights reflecting off the snow on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Not to take away from events unfolding here but hows the uk +europe fare-ing? faring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

2010 level intensity Grauple in Bray atm (ie. When I got 5 inches in 2 hours on Nov 26/27 2010) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The snow on my balcony is deep enough to make the crunching sound! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Lovely snowfall in dublin 5, proper bigger flakes now. So close to the coast but everything white.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Pure snow. Can see some schools not opening tomorrow if it keeps up at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

As said it's the orange street lights reflecting off the snow on the ground.

I live in the middle of nowhere with no street lights

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I'm thinking of driving from Killarney to Galway tomorrow morning and home tomorrow evening, so far the snow seems concentrated along eastern counties, I don't want to get it caught if I did go tomorrow especially as I have RWD BMW. What are the chances of this effecting from Galway to Killarney tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Been snowing on and off here in Sth Kildare. Easily 5cm so far.

Kids school text at 11pm stating a decision will be made by 8.15am on whether theyll be open

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tobinjl91

Harold's Cross blanketed in a good inch of snow after that last shower. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

thomasj wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding me?

Hartstown is like a christmas card picture

There was snow earlier today yes, that's stayed on ground, but this recent shower has only come and gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Question. You are a Met Éireann forecaster - you see the radar.

Do you call a red now in Dublin to close the schools?

Choices, choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Tobinjl91 wrote: »
    Harold's Cross blanketed in a good inch of snow after that last shower. :D

I’m not far from you, that was the most relentless snow we’ve had since 2010. Ten minutes of madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Kinda glad I left the pub at 10. Wouldn't fancy walking home in that. It's heavy and the wind is rough as fcuk. Looking forward to bringing the kids out in morning though. They've never seen real snow.
    Wonder will schools be open?
    F it.. if you're off keep them off! Thats my plan for tomorrow, my best childhood memories are snow days with family and friends..work has already text to advise not to travel. Make memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The latest-in-the-year decent snowfall I played in as a child was in April 1990 in the west of Ireland. I’m sorry, I don’t remember when in April but there was a very decent covering, enough for snowmen and sledding.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Big flash of lighting a few miles to my south, thunder just about Audible.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

Calibos wrote: »
    2010 level intensity Grauple in Bray atm (ie. When I got 5 inches in 2 hours on Nov 26/27 2010) :D

Very impressive fall in Bray right now.

Can’t see there being any schools open in North Wicklow / South Co Dublin tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Doltanian wrote: »
    I'm thinking of driving from Killarney to Galway tomorrow morning and home tomorrow evening, so far the snow seems concentrated along eastern counties, I don't want to get it caught if I did go tomorrow especially as I have RWD BMW. What are the chances of this effecting from Galway to Killarney tomorrow?

reckon roads should be ok, only around newcastle west it might be dodgy that always seems to be a pocket for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

current.jpg

Dublin Central.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just off the phone to the Da near Kill Village on the M7 - winter wonderland by all accounts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Question. You are a Met Éireann forecaster - you see the radar.

Do you call a red now in Dublin to close the schools?

Choices, choices.
    I said earlier this evening we were missing a trick about Wednesday and a red would be called

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The Irish Sea like a conveyor belt of snow for dublin at this point. Long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

EAsily 3 and a half inches on the ground in Naas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Snowing consistently for the last while here , you'd actually think there was a heavy fog down .
    I thought my vision had just gone blurry from watching the lamp posts !
    If I can find a ruler I'll go out to see how deep it is :)
    P/laoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Now that the north west is completely blanketed can anyone tell us some info about what we can expect? Thanks :) my uneducated opinion is on off snow showers from now and at times heavy until Emma passes and not much thawing in between times?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

Doltanian wrote: »

If you do decide to travel and roads are dodgy, put about 3 big bags of coal or similar weight in the boot,will help a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

tupenny wrote: »
    F it.. if you're off keep them off! Thats my plan for tomorrow, my best childhood memories are snow days with family and friends..work has already text to advise not to travel. Make memories!

Well said. Good 3 inches now in my garden in Tallaght

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement