Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

If the red warning only came into effect in the evening today, because there is more snow predicted during the day do you not think that would ruin the point of it because people would assume it’s okay this morning to go to work, school etc and then not be prepared for no option to get home? So people could be stranded miles from home - what then?

Yes I have acknowledged that if there is a lot more due today then it is justified. But if it's just for what a there now then it's shocking.

Ref alerts should be for when there's an imminent threat to life. A few inches of snow on the ground doesn't qualify for me. You can see on here that it's all about can we get away with not going in, be it school or work, and ME have a responsibility not to issue these things without cause. For example, I see no reason for a ref d alert in south Wicklow right now, bit you can bet your life that people will use the alert as an excuse to stay home for the day.

The proof will be in the pudding though- a huge dumping today will justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 UpTheHillFrom

Dublin9 - white out with about 7 to 8 cm. there isn’t a sound.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

BoatMad wrote: »
    Sure temps a few degrees below zero , and mostly light accumulations of snow , that’s justifies a red warning , certainly not justified in south Wicklow
    Enjoy work today. I’m having a snow day thanks to the red warning. Snow rest of the week actually :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HelloMrSnowman

Big streamer coming in from the West coast of Wales, looks like its heading towards Greystones direction

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Nevermind...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Wish work and creche would notify us. School was on the ball thankfully and they are closed due to red warning (dublin). If work is open I'll be expected in but don't know if creche is open and would rather not risk it tbh but I have nobody to mind kids if I'm expected into work. So stressful! Would love a closure text so we can all go out the back and build a snowman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod note

The criteria for a red warning due to snow have been met in the areas for which it was issued
    Significant falls of snow likely to cause accumulations of 8 cm or greater below 250 m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation likely to worsen.
    http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/warnings-explained.asp

So circular arguments about whether individuals think a warning should have been issued are moot and really add nothing of value to this thread discussing the current snow event.

Can we move on please!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Swellan

Cavan Town has avoided any significant hit so far. There is a light dusting of snow, less than 1cm. Temperature -3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Firstly, Wicklow is not currently in the red warning.

Secondly, the yellow/red/amber is warning system based on prediction of future weather. It would be utterly pointless to issue a warning that action is required when in the midst of an event that made any such action impossible.

Wicklow in red warning

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shaddupayaface

What does it say

When the core of cold air gets out over the Irish Sea during daytime convection period, all hell is going to break loose, expect blizzard conditions in many parts of Leinster and near the south coast sometimes spreading from those regions further west. Eastern and central Ulster will also have heavy snow at times.

There are some remarkably cold temperatures at the surface now in England and Wales, for example -7 C at B'ham, -8 C at Bala, Wales, and a stunning -9 C at Southend-on-Sea. Have seen it as low as -11 C in Oxfordshire during the night.

With a stronger gradient developing, conditions will be ripe for maximum sea effect production rates perhaps even surpassing the best we saw in late 2010 which is saying something. It goes without saying that these streamers will be discharging lightning at a prodigious rate.

If these conditions were over the Great Lakes I would be thinking 50 to 80 cm potential, not sure if salt water reacts less vigorously and the Irish Sea is a bit less than ideally sized or shaped so let's say 30 to 60 cm potential in these streamers later today. That won't happen all over Leinster but some places will get amounts that may further complicate what's left of road travel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Going to be a busy day when them shower coming from UK hit the Irish Sea ?

443304.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Secondly, the yellow/red/amber is warning system based on prediction of future weather. It would be utterly pointless to issue a warning that action is required when in the midst of an event that made any such action impossible.

Wicklow is in met Eireann red warning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Snowing and blowing again in D9, watching it unfold as I also watch all my neighbours desnow their cars and drive off to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Eh, yes it is? It was also in the orange warning issues earlier in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Portobello this morn

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

BoatMad wrote: »
    Sure temps a few degrees below zero , and mostly light accumulations of snow , that’s justifies a red warning , certainly not justified in south Wicklow

It is not currently snowing outside my window, I therefore conclude that there are no adverse weather conditions anywhere within the boundary of this nation. Jaysus lad, seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Going to be a busy day when them shower coming from UK hit the Irish Sea ?

Is it not in the nature of things that they wont track across the sea? I thought we'd be relying on coastal streamer activity of our own until the 'Emma' fronts arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Dublin9 - white out with about 7 to 8 cm. there isn’t a sound.

I'm in Kilkenny and it seems to have snowed here half the night and, like that, it's soooo quiet!

Reati wrote: »
    Eh, yes it is? It was also in the orange warning issues earlier in the week.

I'm muddling with Wexford...that's what I get for being up watching the skies at silly o'clock. Apologies all - as you were. :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Is it not in the nature of things that they wont track across the sea? I thought we'd be relying on coastal streamer activity of our own until the 'Emma' fronts arrive?

Well if they hold up its going to be a convergence of both with the Irish Sea giving the already formed showers a lot more life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

some more in portobello

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

When will we see update on the alerts I really do not see how yellow warning can still be in place in Waterford this morning ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My kids have just come into me in bed and told me there is "this much snow" everywhere:D
    In D7. Better get out of bed:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

James74 wrote: »
    It is not currently snowing outside my window, I therefore conclude that there are no adverse weather conditions anywhere within the boundary of this nation. Jaysus lad, seriously?

The issue isn’t snow , there is snow where I am , it’s the use of red warnings , ( and idiots emptying supermarkets ) anyway it’s issued

And for the last time , Wicklow IS in the red warning

jo06555 wrote: »
    When will we see update on the alerts I really do not see how yellow warning can still be in place in Waterford this morning ..

Big flakes coming down hard in Kilkenny too...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Crazy conditions here in East Cork. Bucketing down with snow and strong winds behind it. Really don't want to risk driving it but we are still only a yellow alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Very, very little where I am. Rathdrum, Wicklow. Fingers crossed that will change soon.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

jo06555 wrote: »

Yeah, I'm baffled, I thought we'd all at least be on orange by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

20cm Newcastle Dublin

And that's just the starter course

Serious problems when the mains arrives

Red warning fully justified

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement