Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Blizzard type conditions in D6w at the moment

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

443310.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Kildare this morning

20180228_063526.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EastCork2018

Very, very little where I am. Rathdrum, Wicklow. Fingers crossed that will change soon.

Swap ya a yellow for a red so, we've a tone of it down here haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

How perfect is this, platform at Mullingar train station

20180228_064716.jpg
    20180228_064722.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I meant he's Canadian. How did he find boards.ie?

Apologies, I read your post wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

People talking about the main belt - when does that arrive? Is it still looking as bad as it did? What are the expectations?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan

Just woke up to a scene I haven't witnessed since 2010. No one seemed to believe me yesterday it was going to happen. Now need to figure out if work is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

What are the predictions for this morning especially for South east Waterford as it's all ready bad I'm wondering about my journey to work and back ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I'm making the effort to go in today, cancel all appointments for the rest of the week and do a bit of prep for early next week, as I suspect tomorrow and Friday could be red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Waterford gone to Orange warning now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

And the rain word has been mentioned by ME for Thursday/Friday and I think we can all guess who will most likely get the rain....aaarrghh!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

MT's Forecast is up
    Wednesday, 28 February, 2018

Forecasts for Ireland

As you probably know, the official word is "red warning" levels for parts of Leinster. I think those conditions may spread a little further in all directions later today and definitely the potential exists for almost nation-wide disruptions by Thursday night and Friday. Heavy snow, blowing snow, and severe cold from wind chill values near -10 C are all part of the developing situation. Conditions today will vary considerably both from one hour to the next, and from one location to another, as snow streamers can develop with gaps between them, sometimes caused by upstream land masses like Wales or the Isle of Man limiting the "fetch" over open water. However, the best bet is to assume that travel in warned areas could be very disrupted even if your locality seems okay. Further afield, it shouldn't be too difficult to get around today in some parts of the west and southwest, but check all sources such as weather forum reports, to get a clear picture of how things are evolving if you need to travel, because in some places, we could foresee road travel coming to a halt and people being stranded in the heavier snowfall areas.

FORECASTS:

TODAY will be exceptionally cold and by afternoon very windy at times (easterly 50-90 km/hr with some variations in direction between southeast and northeast). Heavy snow will redevelop after a brief morning pause, and blizzard conditions are quite possible in parts of Leinster and near the south coast into Cork. (Cork city may be on the edge of that much of the day) ... A further 20 to 40 cm of snow could fall in some places around Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Carlow, Wicklow and Meath, and 15 to 30 cm in Louth and Ulster, parts of Westmeath and Wexford. Falls further west of about 10 to 20 cm are possible, but amounts should taper down to small values (1 to 4 cm) near Atlantic coasts. Blowing snow especially by afternoon may cause zero visibility in blizzard-like conditions. Temperatures will be held down to the range of -2 to +1 C and inland may fall further during heavier snowfalls. Thunder-snow could be frequent in Leinster and occasional elsewhere.

TONIGHT will bring no real relief from this cold, snowy weather in the east and south, and snow may spread more often to the west, but any place that manages to clear could see temperatures as low as -8 C. Otherwise lows will be about -5 C and further snowfalls of 10 to 30 cm are possible in east to southeast winds of 40 to 80 km/hr. This may make the southeast counties and also counties from Meath to eastern Ulster the focus of heaviest snowfalls. Wind chill values of -10 to -15 C may be experienced.

THURSDAY and FRIDAY will see this situation merge with an approaching Atlantic storm system's outer bands of moisture. Storm "Emma" seems likely to brush the south coast although guidance continues to be scattered on details. The net result will be that the streamer activity will die out for a time around late Thursday to be replaced by bands of heavy snow moving north and this could add yet another 20 to 40 cm of snow in parts of the south, 10 to 30 cm central (inland from Kildare) and 5 to 20 cm north. Winds will increase at times to southeasterly 60 to 100 km/hr. This snow may be somewhat wet and heavy limiting blowing and drifting in some parts, but exposed rural and higher ground could see renewed blizzards. Temperatures will likely be in the range of -3 to +1 C most of the time, but could fall lower at night in the north if any clear patches develop there. Rain may brush parts of the south coast mid-day Friday as temperatures there briefly rise to 4-6 C in strong southeast winds. Coastal flooding is likely at high tides on the south coast.

FURTHER OUTLOOK ... If we try to assess how things are going to look by late Friday, it could vary from very heavy snow cover to scattered moderate amounts, and that may have an impact on how things develop as a second low tries to push the colder air further north. My hunch is that this one won't have any more success than Emma and might just lead to yet another snowfall of 10-15 cm over part of the weekend, but anything beyond Friday is rather speculative given the spread in model guidance this morning. The cold spell could continue for a week or two although not quite as intense as these few days, or it could just taper off to a more average sort of March chilly spell of 4 to 7 C with mixed wintry showers and a slow thaw of any leftover snow. We will have to await better consensus before committing to just one of these possible outcomes.

My local weather on Tuesday was overcast with a light snowfall that has amounted to 5 or 6 cms by evening, and temperatures have been steady between 0 and 1 C. It's quite mild in eastern North America at least as far north as the lower Great Lakes.

Cork gone to orange, will North Cork have any snow today? And is it techincally orange even if it only says South Cork in the detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Orange now - all of South East, particularly Wexford, Waterford and South Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gastons

Woke up to lots of snow, well settled and still falling blowing easterly. Based east Longford.

Need the warnings to be upgraded and fast as in rural and definitely won't get out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I measure locally 12cm fell last night in Clondalkin, so fell between HIRAM and ARPEGE

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭glightning

Well it looks like the snow finally got going rightly overnight! Enjoy lads!

Would love some of that up here in eastern Ulster, but just going to have to wait and see. I’m not overly confident we’ll see much up here! Such a short sea track to Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nothing of note in Clonmel at this stage, light coverings on the road which looks to make driving dangerous.

Would i be correct in thinking that a status red is unlikely for Tipperary?

Also where exactly would south Cork Cover? Would it extend to the city?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The accumulation I’ve woken to after precious little sleep:

E5_A9_F1_FA-_C211-43_C0-_A077-6_B84_E9_EDB784.jpg
    4789590_F-_C214-4_D63-994_F-_DEB7395441_AD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭glightning

Looking at the IR sat, eastern England looks like it’s getting a real pasting now!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Snow depth at 15cm just outside navan in co meath

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cork gone to orange, will North Cork have any snow today? And is it techincally orange even if it only says South Cork in the detail?

Might get lucky with a few passing showers later but the warning for Cork is closer to the coast with showers moving along there. Tomorrow should see snow in North Cork for definite but will have to wait and see.

There is a thread on weather warnings below for those that wish to discuss them :cool:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057822948&page=4

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭obriener2054

Over a foot of snow here by Kippure estate and I never bought bread....

The wife made fun off me buying 6 liters of milk on Monday, she was a sceptic ... I’ll be sure to tell her I told her so 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

1-2mm (yes mm) in Tipperary. Have very disappointed children. It's like Christmas morning and Santa brought a book about an X-Box rather than an actual X-Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Can't believe I actually woke up to snow in D16, can happily send the pics to my boss who will laugh as the 4 inches of snow that's shut down customer events turns to a red level warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Unbelievable more than 2010, and a red warning suncroft kildare

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement