Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Woke up for school in cork city and oh my god its beautiful! -3 degrees and snow covering everything. Have rk go to school though so can't take it in correctly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

We have a streamer train for cork city at the mo. lovely covering already and more 20 mins away. 4 cm so far at guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No snow this morning in West Clare, however a bit of the Shannon river has pepped up the showers heading here, bring it!

-3.1c here and a very hard frost.
    Looking at the radar it's on the way in the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

silverharp wrote: »
    its not exactly snowmageddon , looks like <1cm in Ballsbridge area in dublin , looks nice htough

Absolute BS. I walked Sandymount to Ballsbridge. The minimum I seen was 5cm. Maybe don’t use your balcony as your area of measurement

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

One thing for people travelling to bear in mind is that the Red Warning issued by Met Eireann is not for snow that has fallen....it's for snow that is expected to fall today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

We have a streamer train for cork city at the mo. lovely covering already and more 20 mins away. 4 cm so far at guess

Enjoy it. All we can hope for here is a passing shower crumb today i'd say. If I don't get something substantial tomorroow by which i mean at least 2-5 cm I am moving to Norway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Amazing to see the snow in the East Coast as for us in the North West the Beast from the East has been very disappointing so far , I was at least looking forward to some ice days with white fields but we are not even getting frost with this dry air. Its -3, I may add that the exceptional low temperatures showing on the models last week aren't coming to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

For anyone stuck in isle of man shadow due to direction of wind...I found this wind direction map very useful for figuring out when winds would turn more easlerly and get us out of that shadow. I'm north of Kilcock.
    https://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

That combined with Netweathers radar for streamers.
    https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Looks like winds turn properly easterly again around 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

DOCARCH wrote: »
    One thing for people travelling to bear in mind is that the Red Warning issued by Met Eireann is not for snow that has fallen....it's for snow that is expected to fall today.

*15cm in the next 24 hrs is s(no) joke!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

7:40. Virginia Cavan currently taking a pasting at the moment. Didnt get too much overnight. Local secondary school closed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Showers pepping up again now over the Irish Sea, so expect more snow showers in Dublin in the next hour or so (...and showers to keep going).

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

rodge123 wrote: »
    For anyone stuck in isle of man shadow due to direction of wind...I found this wind direction map very useful for figuring out when winds would turn more easlerly and get us out of that shadow. I'm north of Kilcock.
    https://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

That combined with Netweathers radar for streamers.
    https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Looks like winds turn properly easterly again around 10am.

Thank God. The start of last night I was missing out on showers by only about 10-20km and I was so annoyed I, could literally see the massive rain clouds. Woke up this morning and we have some snow, havnt measured it but its fairly scattered due to the wind. Maybe a cm or 2. This is south Cavan btw about 5km from the Longford border. Buses arnt running to schools do they are shut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Deedsie wrote: »
    Red warning is for a future event. Something that may happen after now. Do you get that part?

The red alert is active since 5am this morning so no, it's not just for things that may happen after now. It's an active event for nearly 3 hours. Do you get that part?

Its simply not justified and is a case of over the top forecasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 abrushka

can someone please share a link to a decent website with accurate radar precipitation forecasts? just had a decent flurry in SE Meath

Reati wrote: »
    The red alert is active since 5am this morning so no, it's not just for things that may happen after now.

The red alert is for what is to happen (not what has already happened).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Brother and sister school shut and mother and fathers work cancelled , all sleeping while I get ready for work :( I just wanna play in the snow !!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Nothing in Wicklow Town. Have always said it's the last place on Earth to get snow and here we are again. Can't believe we dodged it again even Bray got snow? Schools closed anyway so need be thankful for that at least.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

abrushka wrote: »
    can someone please share a link to a decent website with accurate radar precipitation forecasts? just had a decent flurry in SE Meath

I quite like this one as opposed to ME, you can see activity further afield and how it affects us later

Likely light snow showers until 10/11am and they start pepping up again

• Advertisement

Beg to differ....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Covered here in Monasterevin. Road is very quiet, and no way i'm making my way to Dublin today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

We had thunder lightning and snow last night in east cork. Heavy snow now

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Green Hills D12

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

The red alert is active since 5am this morning so no, it's not just for things that may happen after now. It's an active event for nearly 3 hours. Do you get that part?

How much where you are? Dublin 12 here and fair whack. Public transport very restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Out of nowhere another blizzard here in Maynooth, already lovely deep snow, kerb height.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭obriener2054

Jesus people get very ratty over a weather warning lol

Enjoy the snow and chillax

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

MOD Note

You have had your say ( Which is wrong by the way ) so leave it at that and let the thread move on , by all means use the weather warning thread to air your grievance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Woke up this morn, looked out and... and it's not that bad really .(Rathnew/Rathdrum) However as I have the little ones with me I don't feel like risking anything just to show I can drive in it. Nope, I want to be safe and keep them safe too. and we haven't even talked about the nutters who think they can drive.

so yea staying home where its safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Unjustified? If red means that it is worse than what we have in South Cork where there is an orange warning then it must be pretty bad up there. From Kinsale along to Bandan we have had very significant snow with trucks stuck and cars being pushed. Check out Kinsale Message Board on FB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement