Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Does anyone know if birds will eat porridge oats?
    I put a full bag of it out on top of a wall. Looking out now I can see 3 Robins, a pair of blackbirds and a pigeon all munching down on it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

marvin80 wrote: »
    Stupid question but I don't have any feeders so if I throw some out in the garden covered in snow - is that any use to them?
    clear a bit of the snow and they will be happy as larry with the food

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Very sunny and doesn't feel as cold in Kildare now...hope it doesn't start to melt.
    Dcully wrote: »
    Ditto , wasn't expecting this much snow.Didn't know you were living this neck of the woods.
    Yeah, moved down this neck of the woods last year. Nice and quiet, and can't go to work on snow days :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Criteria for a red alert is defined...once the criteria are met, a red alert is issued.

So the issue really is the criteria being set too low?

North East Monasterboice and a few cms of snow, fine for travelling in but that could easily change later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Attempted to commute into work this morning but after slipping and sliding on poor roads for about a mile I decided it wasn't worth it and turned back.

Luckily my employer has been very understanding and when contacted allowed me to work from home today so I can't say fairer than that really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

roads already lethal in East Galway. Not looking forward to next 72 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

All the kids on my road having a great time on the green, their happy little faces running out in their wellies, it's so nice. My daughter is only a baby, hope she gets to see something similar in a few years :)

The birds seem starving. Been throwing out some seeds and oats all morning for the bigger birds as more snow arrives and topping up the feeder/bird house for the smaller lads. They were all up waiting for us this morning at dawn, perched on the back fence. There's one fat robin who has claimed squatters rights on the bird house :)

I love snow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Meanwhile, in Galway, Gerard Fleming has come out of retirement to deliver this weather report on Galway Bay FM
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/molly-morning-ice-ice-mainly/

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

km79 wrote: »
    roads already lethal in East Galway. Not looking forward to next 72 hours

I can’t wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Snow depth 1/2"
    Temp. 0.3°

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Well, just as forecast, a beautiful, clear morning with bright sunshine and not a cloud in the sky.

Enjoy the snow those who got (will get) it. Looks like we won’t see a single flake. Don’t even think Emma will make it this far NW.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Whiteout in Artane. Strong wind pelting the graupel and snow against the window. Blowing snow too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Paully D wrote: »
    Attempted to commute into work this morning but after slipping and sliding on poor roads for about a mile I decided it wasn't worth it and turned back.

Luckily my employer has been very understanding and when contacted allowed me to work from home today so I can't say fairer than that really.

Same as...made it from Haddington Road to Merrion Sq and decided I couldn't go any further. Thought the roads would have been in better condition but they were lethal. Got nothing but traction control lighting up my dashboard. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Some nice icicles starting to form, have not seen some since 2010

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Any chance of it snowing here in Kerry today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Obligatory time laspe video from outside our home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,239 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

spookwoman wrote: »
    local birds are starving. The Blue Tits etc that are not ground feeders are on the ground picking up bits and attacking the fat balls cause the thug starlings prefer the feeder off the ground.

Must be pretty cold! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Saganist wrote: »
    Coming down hard again in North Dublin. Stay safe anyone out in that...

On and off since dawn in Glasnevin.

I have a big back garden, 100ft x 30ft, so with about 3 inches, I reckon that makes 750 cubic feet of snow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

irish1967 wrote: »
    Well, just as forecast, a beautiful, clear morning with bright sunshine and not a cloud in the sky.

Enjoy the snow those who got (will get) it. Looks like we won’t see a single flake. Don’t even think Emma will make it this far NW.

☀️

I'm right on the NW coast and there have been flurries all morning, nothing heavy enough to stick yet though.

I wouldn't give up just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I'm right on the NW coast and there have been flurries all morning, nothing heavy enough to stick yet though.

I’d give up ur going to get nothing. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What sort of timeframe are we looking at for the next wave to come in at in the south-east please guys?

The sun is splitting the trees now and I'm sure I'm not the only one who probably looks a bit silly after being unable to come in this morning. :eek:

Getting home is probably going to be the main issue for people who are already in, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Snooooooooooooowwwwwwww. Nice sight to wake up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We got a good covering here in Lucan last night.
    Some cars have been leaving the estate but the tracks are now freezing over where the tyres melted some of the snow so it's going to be lethal soon.
    Lucan village is unnavigable for most cars because they can't get up the various hills to get out of the village.
    Schools and creches closed. My wife's work is closed and I was told to tell all my team to work from home.
    I have two kids bouncing up and down wanting to get dressed and play in the snow
    They've never seen anything like this before.

Current weather (according to my weather station):

-2.4c
    Feels like -2c
    Dew point -3c
    Humidity 99%

A fine snow currently falling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Sunny here now in Thurles now but still freezing. The roads are very bad. Was surprised at how bad the M8 was this morning - more or less down to one lane even with all of the traffic. Even at that, traffic was at a crawl thanks to a handful of rear-wheel car that weren't chancing more than 60Kmph

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

Orchids wrote: »
    I’m losing the will to live, D16 too and I’m beginning to lose hope, if I wake up tomorrow morning & it’s like this, I swear I will cry:mad:

I take it all back! :D:D
    I'm on cloud nine with this gorgeous fluffy snow, In work now and have to curb my excitement as everyone is so miserable and giving out about it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Bet your in North Donegal. Watching the flurries up there. Here in Donegal Town the showers have list all power and vanished over Fermanagh. Not one has made it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Does anyone know if birds will eat porridge oats?

What else can we leave them. I can see little ones looking for food. Worried for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Paully D wrote: »

The sun is splitting the trees now and I'm sure I'm not the only one who probably looks a bit silly after being unable to come in this morning. :eek:

Getting home is probably going to be the main issue for people who are already in, right?

Yep that's the bigger issue because it's due to snow on and off all day and accumulate (I think).
    Anyone in work might get stuck there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

irish1967 wrote: »
    Bet your in North Donegal. Watching the flurries up there. Here in Donegal Town the showers have list all power and vanished over Fermanagh. Not one has made it yet.

I am, probably won't come to much here either mind but it makes a change from the usual weather at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I would not be surprised to hear, of real blizzard like conditions in places, as blowing snow with quite a strong east wind picks up as the snow showers streamers pass through activitie starting to pick up again in the Irish sea

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement