Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

MrMischief wrote: »
    Any expert opinion on conditions early tomorrow morning after what's predicted tonight? Have a 7am flight from DUB airport and trying to assess if tomorrow will be worse than today (tonnes of flights cancelled today).
    Thanks

ME have been saying that Thursday will be the worst day all week - blizzard like conditions.
    Isn't that afternoon though? I'm guessing if there isn't much snowfall tonight then the airport should be ok for a few hours early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Speak Now wrote: »
    I'm with Wakka lol.

Then it will blow your mind that there are townlands beside each other in Meath called Muff and Knobber.

I have actually been on the Knobber-Muff road

• Registered Users Posts: 33,988 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Then it will blow your mind that there are townlands beside each other in Meath called Muff and Knobber.

Nobber actually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bio Mech wrote: »

Not often you wake up to a few inches in Muff.

Ahem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Very strange day here. Left for work at 6.30am (From west of Macroom). Little Island got quite bad so I was advised to go home. Sun blazing here, -1, no sign whatsoever of snow falling (200m ASL). Wonder what to do tomorrow morning now. Feel a bit silly for coming home today.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I have lived in Dublin and Wicklow all my life and have never heard that.

Same as. Although I suspect it may be the same Dubs who pronounce "three" as "tree" and "my" as "me" !!!! :D

Imagine it...."I've only tree brickets left in me bucket."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

spurious wrote: »
    Not often you wake up to a few inches in Muff.

Ahem.

Happens to me all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭determinations

Is the Irish Sea starting to wake back up, or am I being too optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I have lived in Dublin and Wicklow all my life and have never heard that.
    Really? Hatloads of Dubs say "Brickits".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

MrMischief wrote: »
    Any expert opinion on conditions early tomorrow morning after what's predicted tonight? Have a 7am flight from DUB airport and trying to assess if tomorrow will be worse than today (tonnes of flights cancelled today).
    Thanks

If you look at the first post in this thread and the last post in the Daily forecasst thread you will get expert opinions from here.

Beyond that met.ie says there will be more snow showers, like there have been today.
    Your best bet is to keep an eye on the weather forecast and the airport website.
    Local weather conditions are only one side of if a flight flies or not

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Been very lucky in north Louth here all day! Consistent showers bringing accumulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

At this point what you are asking is really crystal ball gazing. If DUB airport becomes fully operational flights will go out but may not get back once the snow showers return later. Overnight, there may well be heavy snowfalls requiring runway closure same as this morning. That's winter operations for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Really? Hatloads of Dubs say "Brickits".

Yep. Never.
    Mind that is Greystones and South Dublin, but I have never heard anyone say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

-2 here and yet the dusting we got has melted. Don't fully understand it myself.

I'm guessing the -2 is the air temp. The snow can still absorb some heat from the sun's radiation even though a lot is reflected with it being white.

Black surfaces will be a little warmer in direct sunlight for example.

That's my take on it anyway, might be completely wrong:)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Calibos wrote: »
    Re: Send Bread image.

My OCD is kicking in. Why did they not capitalise the r when they capitalised every other letter??? Arrgghhh!!! :D

Looking at that r made me twitch. I must add that to a list of reasons a chat with my GP is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

So can i ask what have been the snow depths totals so far? Has anyone recorded 25cms of snow at lower levels?

In Malahide by the sea, 15cm on grass, 4-6cm on flat surfaces, drifting up against walls to around 12cm.

That was this morning, a few showers since of mostly graupel but some limited thawing going on now. Not much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What's the projected thaw time once this is all over, that's when things will get slippery on the paths at least. That's the part that really scares me falling everywhere did my elbow in in 2009 still has issues to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Some showers forming north of Wales. Be in Dublin in about an hour I’d say. Nice to see some activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Epic! Blizzard in galway now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

whats dublin city center like anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

An hour of heavy snow Oranmore Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

An hour of heavy snow Oranmore Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Very strange day here. Left for work at 6.30am (From west of Macroom). Little Island got quite bad so I was advised to go home. Sun blazing here, -1, no sign whatsoever of snow falling (200m ASL). Wonder what to do tomorrow morning now. Feel a bit silly for coming home today.

If work sent you home, pop open a beer and enjoy the 5 day weekend, and be thankful they offered any advice.

I told work this morning I couldn't be in and got a grumble, then found out from our own website the place was closed all day. No communication whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

jobless wrote: »
    whats dublin city center like anyone?

icy on the paths, roads are messy slush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

No but take it Virginia, Mullagh, Kingscourt is under it. We got plastered last night and the MET eireann map has a bit of Cavan marked red

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

lolo62 wrote: »
    Anyone know where to buy a toboggan?

Heatons / Sports Direct.
    I got one for the grandkids yesterday. (had to try it out first myself :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Epic! Blizzard in galway now

When where is the nations's favourite reporter, Teresa Mannion, when we need her?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Snowing heavy in Galway now with strong wind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Quite a strong thaw in North Dublin the last few hours. Presume that this is to be short lived.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement