Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

seems as if the southwest region may some decent snow from now on according to the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

It’s computer generated
    Ergo it’s big fail is complicated conditions
    Only human input forecasts can deal with those
    If it’s an app,I’d disable it for the next week and rely on the tech thread here and mt cranium aswell as met Eireann and you won’t go too far wrong.

This could be coincidental but this site I referenced (yr.no) has had precipitation levels for where I am right on the money - and the forecasts differed vastly from what was expected elsewhere. Just a fluke?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

soap1978 wrote: »
    Snow is very bad in Cavan,live on the border with Meath,will there be a red alert made for cavan

Take it as yes. Virginia is nearly always better aligned with warnings for Meath. Last night we were not under warning but still managed 3 inches. IEven on met eireann maps the bit if Cavan in the red is Virginia/mullagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Showers over nw wales both on land and sea. Should see some action later

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Yep. Never.
    Mind that is Greystones and South Dublin, but I have never heard anyone say that.
    Maybe it's an age thing, I'm 49 born and bred Dub. I certainly heard that pronunciation more frequently when I was a kid. Perhaps it is dying out as colloquial things naturally do. Or maybe it is one of those odd northside/southside things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

revelman wrote: »
    It is perfectly sensible for Met Eireann to provide these warnings and minimize the risk of life and limb.

It is indeed perfectly sensible to provide a warning.

But when warnings are delivered as edicts, the public should take a long hard look.

The public should be trusted to make and take their own decisions as regards their personal safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

piplip87 wrote: »
    Take it as yes. Virginia is nearly always better aligned with warnings for Meath. Last night we were not under warning but still managed 3 inches. IEven on met eireann maps the bit if Cavan in the red is Virginia/mullagh
    in bailieboro and its very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Am in NUIG, only light snow at the minute, no strong wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Whiteout in Galway now its lovely :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Took a pano in grangegorman DIT from pigeon towers out in the bay to out over Tallaght. Beautiful sky

https://twitter.com/david75donovan/status/968855806430056448

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

White out Craughwell east galway. Best coating yet maybe 3-4cm or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Am in NUIG, only light snow at the minute, no strong wind.

Ballybrit windy with big flakes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Beautiful sunny day here in Tralee. Not too cold either. Liking the beast so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

BarryD2 wrote: »
    It is indeed perfectly sensible to provide a warning.

But when warnings are delivered as edicts, the public should take a long hard look.

The public should be trusted to make and take their own decisions as regards their personal safety.

Nobody made any edicts.
    It was a warning, which you seem to be taking as an edict.
    You are being oversensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I was talking to my mother earlier.
    She was a child during the big freeze of 1947 and remembers all the fun she had playing in the snow etc. They built an igloo.

I will be sure to get my 7 year old kid some great memories of this snow fall, he might have a beard by the time we see an event like this again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

0 visibility here near athenry.

It’s been heavy snow for the last 30 minutes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

sdanseo wrote: »
    If work sent you home, pop open a beer and enjoy the 5 day weekend, and be thankful they offered any advice.

I told work this morning I couldn't be in and got a grumble, then found out from our own website the place was closed all day. No communication whatsoever.

Cheers. I think after Ophelia they learnt a lesson. Still have to work from home but it did give me the opportunity to stop for beer on the way home! Still up in the air regarding tomorrow. It would be fine if we had snow in the morning, but if not if it's like today it's hard to justify not going in. Only issue is it's a 75 mile round trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Just because your area didn't see much doesn't mean everywhere saw very little...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Are we still looking at 20cm or more in Leinster today/tonight? It's bloody nice out there now, and there's more sun than i've seen in weeks.

Don't want it all to go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Just sent the young fell a out to clear the paths & check on the old people .... Hes in his element being " responsible ".. Me on other hand has cabin fever already !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

An blizzard* has arrived in Galway.

*Doesn't fit the description of a meteorological blizzard - but you know what I mean.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

And that's exactly my point it's a blanket warning for Dublin when the city centre is at best a yellow. That's why they need to improve their warning system and get rid of blanket county warnings, introduce a bubble type warning.

There is a weather warnings thread , you can post away to your hearts content in there about the warnings system , Lets keep this one on track please

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Coldest day since I got my weather station in 2011.
    Had a high of -1.5C
    A low of -4.5C, a record for the station.
    Current temperature of -2.6C
    Wind chill of -6.8C
    Nice blanket of snow, currently snowing, north east of Kilkenny city on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Then it will blow your mind that there are townlands beside each other in Meath called Muff and Knobber.

I have actually been on the Knobber-Muff road

I bet you've never been to Effin or Nicker :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Looks like showers beginning to merge over the Irish Sea heading towards Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

PauloMN wrote: »
    Nobber actually.

:) I stand corrected.

Also it sounds like a sleazy follow up to “Love actually”

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Its big coat weather here folks!! In Cavan and it’s been going since 12:30 more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

gozunda wrote: »
    I bet you've never been to Effin or Nicker :D

Can’t say I have. But I am still young. There’s hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

A little bit of thawing in Ringsend but not much, and anywhere in the shade is like an ice rink. Plenty of clouds around so not that much exposure to the sun. Snow still lying thick in places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

thaw really kicking in here, will be lethal when that freezes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement