Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Did someone say downgrade?? That's music to my ears! And onwards into a dry bright spring we go..!

I hate to burst your bubble, there has been no downgrade- The coming week is going to be very severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I expect people to start getting disappointed over model runs like the GFS trying to attempt to breakdown the cold. This has happened times before. Look at this example from March 2013.

This was what the 12z on 11 March 2013 was showing for 9 days after on the 20 March.

gfs-2013031112-0-204.png?12

Here's how it actually turned out in comparison. No southwesterly flow to be seen anywhere.

archives-2013-3-20-0-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Did someone say downgrade?? That's music to my ears! And onwards into a dry bright spring we go..!

There is no down grade , Cork will struggle to get showers in this situation. Towards the end of the week Cork could be buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭circadian

NIMAN wrote: »

That was crazy to see at the time. One of the fastest moving rivers in Europe freezing over.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Ahh balls. Is there a downgrade or wha?  Was looking forward to a decent bit of sneachta next weekend. Will it be gone by next Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭thomasj

torres9kop wrote:
    Ahh balls. Is there a downgrade or wha? Was looking forward to a decent bit of sneachta next weekend. Will it be gone by next Saturday?

You can relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Dip in the rollercoaster again I see, surly enough it'll be spinning circles again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

NIMAN wrote: »

River maine Co Kerry at Castlemaine 24th Dec 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

This has been the longest week ever. The waiting for the Beast is doing my head in.
    I am going around in a constant state of excitement!

Me too, my kids are looking at me like I’ve completely lost the plot

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

torres9kop wrote: »
    Ahh balls. Is there a downgrade or wha?  Was looking forward to a decent bit of sneachta next weekend. Will it be gone by next Saturday?

Ahh well these things happen /
    Put the sleigh back in shed -
    Roll on Spring and bit of heat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

People talking about a downgrade are talking as if it's going to be +15C next week... My god you're in for a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NoodleMc

Just back from the shops. Overheard a conversation where one lad was telling another that he had heard from someone he knows who works in M.E. (when I heard M.E. I reversed direction and pretended to be extremely interested in the fresh fish, when of course I was actually heading to the tinned goods aisle), that..and I quote "He's telling me it's going to be like the 80's".

Nearly skipped out of the shops! :D

(Mind you I'm assuming that by 'Like the 80's' he was referring to snow amounts and not the hairstyles! :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Netweathers forecast estimating 116.2mm of precip between Tuesday and Friday (all snow) in Dublin , which would equal nearly 350cm (3.5m) of snow or 11.5 feet :P

However, I've always found their own automated forecasts to be wildly inaccurate, I just found the notion that Dublin could have 11.5 feet of snow hilarious!

Link:
    https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/7-day/31739~Dublin

Seriously, chill! Everytime something remotely negative is posted you think it's all over! You'll have driven yourself to the grave before the snow arrives if you keep this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭snowgal

Posts like this just should not be allowed :mad: no downgrade.at.all.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Netweathers forecast estimating 116.2mm of precip between Tuesday and Friday (all snow) in Dublin , which would equal nearly 350cm (3.5m) of snow or 11.5 feet :P

However, I've always found their own automated forecasts to be wildly inaccurate, I just found the notion that Dublin could have 11.5 feet of snow hilarious!

Link:
    https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/7-day/31739~Dublin

The M50 by Friday? :D

Road-divided-the-huge-snow-rocks-748x522.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

I think someone needs to recheck their maths. Is 116mm not like 12 cm??

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

snowgal wrote: »

Posts like this just should not be allowed :mad: no downgrade.at.all.
    someone mentioned milder conditions at the weekend.

tkd93 wrote: »
    I think someone needs to recheck their maths. Is 116mm not like 12 cm??

116mm of rain is equivalent to nearly 350cm of dry snow (rough calculation).

Netweather's forecasts assume all precip is rain when detailing amounts.

Well for one, milder doesn't mean mild. It just means less cold. Like -10 is MILDER than -15. It's a very vague term.

Two, if you paid one attention to the posts and actually read them properly, you wouldn't be all over the place.

Three, nothing has changed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

When I see a Graph that looks helpful I usually thank it. If it says something about snow I’m happy and inside I’m like :

Heres_a_bunny_with_waffle.png

torres9kop wrote:

I think that post is referring to the chances of snow in cork .

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Its still Saturday, the "breakdown" event being discussed is still a week away. There is still strong disagreement among the models as to what will happen. Not saying it won't happen but there's every reason to believe that things will change over the next few days. That still means a week of fun and games for most anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yes but this event was always looking to the end of the week. The discussion has been from Monday until the weekend. Nobody was ever saying what was happening beyond that. So as it stands it is still a sever weather event for the week coming....

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

snowgal wrote: »
    Yes but this event was always looking to the end of the week. The discussion has been from Monday until the weekend. Nobody was ever saying what was happening beyond that. So as it stands it is still a sever weather event for the week coming....

So the conditions are getting milder as week goes on /
    More downgrade talk - big sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

So the conditions are getting milder as week goes on /
    More downgrade talk - big sigh

The week gets colder as it goes on, uncertain beyond friday/saturday. Everyone relax, there's no downgrade.

Lots of unwarranted toy throwing going on here.

The M.E. yellow advisory has been taken down. They must be updating it at the moment .

Midday Wednesday on the Met Éireann 5 day forecast graphics, maxima of only -2 or -3c.

grgMphq.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Only believe in a downgrade when the sites heavy hitters say so. Unless Kermit, Blizzard, MT Cranium, Sryanbruen etc mention it it's not happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    The week gets colder as it goes on, uncertain beyond friday/saturday. Everyone relax, there's no downgrade.

Lots of unwarranted toy throwing going on here.

True. the original post was about snow probably in Cork by munsterlenged I think. The reply was looking like less perception now before Thursday, or something like that. the word downgrade was used that is the only word everyone saw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement