Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Deaf student

Skedaddle wrote: »
    Must be very localised. It's still coming down in Blackpool about 2km from the city centre.

Think you right cos i passed blackpool an hour ago as im in Bishopstown area.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Been getting snow pretty much all day in dublin 5! Great amount of snow, about 14cms in the garden. Snowing again there about 15 mins ago

No I’ve lots too lol, it was just about the shower on the radar didn’t hit me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

irishfeen wrote: »
    In 26 years i'm alive I have never seen anything as extraordinary as these weather charts - maybe once in a lifetime... :eek::)

141s4s5.png

2utpymc.png

rrjdc7.png

Im bad at weather, whats so bad about these charts? And why is tomorrow so bad like why do we need to stay indoors? It sounds scary, what are we to expect tomorrow evening roughly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

greenpilot wrote: »
    Hi,

With all the Dublin-centric forecasting out there, could anyone enlighten us In Mayo what the forecast is for our region? It's almost impossible to work it out with the biased forecasting.
    Thank you In advance,

P
    Reports that Mayo will break off the mainland and form its own island owing to the weight of the snow elsewhere and the chips on locals shoulders- achill annex’s itself from the new independent island and seeks asylum in Galway

Meanwhile light snow gently falls in Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Elnin09

FWIW, I know a guy who works quite high up in the airport. Met Eireann latest report to the Daa suggest blizzards to hit north Dublin from 7pm this evening. Hope this is in correct forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭greenpilot

pilly wrote: »
    Seriously? Have you read or listened to a forecast?

Of course I have, But met eireann has forecasted scattered showers for tomorrow which I find incredulous, especially with what I am seeing out the window...(blizzard). I come here for accuracy !
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Pic of the last snow flurry coming off the Irish see into Dublin. Snow on the strand is surprisingly deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There could be further snow in the Dublin area within the next 15 minutes to half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

There could be further snow in the Dublin area within the next 15 minutes to half an hour.

Think its due for the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

And do we possibly overuse the term once in a lifetime..2010 was also once in a lifetime and that wasn't even ten years ago :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

greenpilot wrote: »
    Hi,

With all the Dublin-centric forecasting out there, could anyone enlighten us In Mayo what the forecast is for our region? It's almost impossible to work it out with the biased forecasting.
    Thank you In advance,

P

Don't be cheeky, there's lots of great posters putting in a lot of work bringing people like yourself forecasts. Check out the original post of this thread which is updated with forecasts, or MTC's forecast thread for details, they certainly include all regions in their updates. And pop into the Technical thread for a read of some of the charts, most of which include all of Ireland (don't post chat there though, please).

If someone decides to post a radar screenshot showing only Dublin, that's because they are interested in that, not because they're making Dublin only forecasts. The precipitation radars are freely available to anyone who wants to click to open them:

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Think its due for the night?

I reckon light/moderate for the next few hours, then after 10pm another explosive set of showers quite similar to last nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Am in the Anglesey shadow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Think it's time to get home in Cork. The flakes are getting a lot bigger and more intense and the temp is definitely noticiblly dropping.

There's a significant wind here at the moment too..I suspect there will be drifting in areas where the snow does accumulate this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

wakka12 wrote: »
    Im bad at weather, whats so bad about these charts? And why is tomorrow so bad like why do we need to stay indoors? It sounds scary, what are we to expect tomorrow evening roughly
    Blizzards for a time frame of about 24hrs in Ireland with the potential of a foot of snow in parts of Munster and Leinster - its an extraordinary weather event!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Another nice flurry here in West Clare, not settling on gritted roads (thank God one may say), but the fields are a distinct white and there's drifts of 5cm against walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Horizontal snow in Naas, in blizzard conditions.

I just gritted the paths so I will see how it holds up.

The snow shovel finally got some use after 8 years in shortage.

I have been feeding the birds. Fat balls, seeds, porridge and I left water out but that has now frozen over.

I have a tree full of berries and a blackbird chasing off all the other birds from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Places like Drogheda could get dumped on tonight, looking at the satellite images it seems that the swing to the north has stopped for now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Two feet of snow outside Dundalk

qWbqsPE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Fairly bucketing down in North East Galway, Id just cleared and salted the paths +doorsteps aswell the baxtards!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Looks like decent streamers forming around Holyhead heading for North Dublin first

WEB_radar4_201802281645.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

wakka12 wrote: »
    And do we possibly overuse the term once in a lifetime..2010 was also once in a lifetime and that wasn't even ten years ago :pac:

Well if you weren't born then or your dead now....

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is that the Red and Orange areas locked in now or can we expect to see changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭crx===

Elnin09 wrote: »
    FWIW, I know a guy who works quite high up in the airport. Met Eireann latest report to the Daa suggest blizzards to hit north Dublin from 7pm this evening. Hope this is in correct forum.

Yeah those guys in the control tower can see a very long way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Supercell wrote: »
    Places like Drogheda could get dumped on tonight, looking at the satellite images it seems that the swing to the north has stopped for now.

Yippeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Remember, temperatures going to plunge quickly after dark. Everything will freeze so if you need any essentials better make a dash now.

Temperatures tonight could fall to below -10c in isolated rural spots with snow cover. -4 or -5c for Dublin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Weird how bummed i was seeing the snow slowly melt today, when i'd hoped for it to get even worse.

It's coming down again though, so i'm in a better mood now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Try_harder wrote: »
    I was alive in 82 but no clear memory of it- this is class.

Light Snow gently falling again in Tullamore

I have. The mad thing is in 82 it only snowed for about 24 hrs but it was so heavy and it lasted for about a week it was so cold. Started on the afternoon/evening of Friday 8th January if my memory serves me right. By Saturday morning there was 4 and 5 foot drifts and roads were compacted with snow and reduced to single lane traffic for a couple of days. One of the coldest days ever recorded in these parts was notched in that week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭scooby77

Getting off lightly so far near Sligo town. Only few flakes earlier in South Donegal. Looking at charts on met and technical forum (particularly hirlam) it looks to these untrained eyes that Friday noon onwards could be our ( north sligo/south donegal) trickiest spell snow/travel wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Wind has picked up here on the Laois/kildare border with driving snow the real fine powdery stuff...cut the puss off you it would.
    Big enough thaw here during the day ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement