Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So the conditions are getting milder as week goes on /
    More downgrade talk - big sigh

I'd be delighted, I hate snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The advisory is updated. Talk of streamers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've a flight to Canada via Heathrow on Thursday afternoon, following this thread to have an idea of how fúcked I might be. It's actually kinda irritating reading people get very excited about a weather event with the potential to seriously fúck things up for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

From my readings of the models, The first place to see snow looks to be the East coast which was expected so greater Dublin area/Leinster

The 2nd/3rd of March looks to be the best and most snow Cork City has seen in a while for the people wondering. There may be snow showers between that too (More experienced people feel free to correct me if I am wrong but it looks like that in the gif below! :) )

Overall it looks like a good chunk of the country/population will see a bit of the white gold at some point, however this can change as you know nothing is set in stone.

tempresult_ise9.gif.0e4749607c396b845c2e7235598325ca.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

ZX7R wrote: »
    True. the original post was about snow probably in Cork by munsterlenged I think. The reply was looking like less perception now before Thursday, or something like that. the word downgrade was used that is the only word everyone saw

The fact that people don't even read full posts and just focus on one word is terrible.... what has this world come to? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭thomasj

Updated advisory
    Update on previous Advisory.Exceptionally cold weather is forecast for next week with significant wind chill and severe frosts. Disruptive snow showers are expected from Tuesday onwards, particularly in the east and southeast. Snow showers perhaps merging into more persistent bands of snow from midweek.Issued:Saturday 24 February 2018 17:00Valid:Tuesday 27 February 2018 00:01 to Saturday 03 March 2018 18:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I've a flight to Canada via Heathrow on Thursday afternoon, following this thread to have an idea of how fúcked I might be. It's actually kinda irritating reading people get very excited about a weather event with the potential to seriously fúck things up for many people.

Would you have people hide their feelings about extreme weather on the weather forum?

If you think you are irritated now....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think its annoying that you care that we like snow. We aren't causing the snow, makes no difference to you whether we enjoy it while it causes problems for you. And surely some people enjoying the snow is better than everyone being as miserable as you are about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You'd think we were responsible for the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Enjoy the snow guys. But unless you hate your job so much that you can't face going in for another day, I fail to see how enough snow to shut the whole city down will be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

HIRLAM suggesting a bit of white stuff in Cork and the east coast of the north by midday on Monday, must be broken everyone knows all power has been diverted to the shield in Cork :rolleyes:

hirlamuk-1-47-0.png?24-17

ECM out soon, should be very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Enjoy the snow guys. But unless you hate your job so much that you can't face going in for another day, I fail to see how enough snow to shut the whole city down will be a good thing.

I'm sure there's good few college students or younger people (myself included) that will enjoy it! :)

I don't care of getting out of school. It's seeing it fall and lay there, out having fun in it, taking pictures, the beauty of it, making ugly places look amazing that I love about the white gold.

Just because you dislike it doesn't mean we all have to, it's our opinions.

because its possible this is a once in a lifetime event that many generations haven't experienced and people are looking forward to seeing what it brings / being able to play in snow with their children/relatives maybe? Oh who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

tkd93 wrote: »
    I think someone needs to recheck their maths. Is 116mm not like 12 cm??

1mm of precipitation is equal to somewhere between 10 and 40mm of snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Easy solution is not to read it then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

It's an unusual and rare event. For me, I'm looking forward to it because my kids are going to love it, and it harks back to my own childhood.

But your right, we should probably not enjoy it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

While we are waiting for Tuesday, sigh.....

I well remember in 2010 that I could not get the sliding door open in the porch to get to work. Frozen solid. The path was clear in the front garden and salted, but the footpaths and the road (cul de sac) were lethal.

Anyway I was on my own at the time, and eventually thought of using a hairdryer on an extension lead to thaw the door. It worked great. I also used two golf umbrellas as walking sticks to get to the bus stop. It was hilarious, but I felt like a wild west pioneer, nothing would stop me.

Only problem was, when I eventually got home, the sliding door was frozen solid again.

Had to do the hairdryer thing again with a humungous lead from neighbours house and their hairdryer too. Fun times.

Then it thawed next day.

I hope I haven't bored you all, there's a bit of a wait going on for this episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

I don’t think anybody gets pleasure out of other people’s misery or their plans being messed up but some people like snow and are lucky enough to be able to enjoy it let alone cope with it.
    The thing to remember is if it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen, whether people want it to or not though. It’s not as though the prayers of the snow worshippers are making it happen.. (or are they...)

• Advertisement

How is it possible to do my biology and english homework with such an active thread? *Sigh* suppose ill just delay it till sunday.. then monday.. then tuesday.. I mean.. some things are more important.. like snow.. right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You asked for a few dry days, I simply stated that we've had a few dry days and will get a few more.

Also, the burren is in North Clare ;)

I know what we've had, and what we will get, and I know what I'm looking for.

Over 200mm of rain in Jan, following on from a wet December, and followed by what has been a wet Feb up mid-week last. A good dry spell is badly needed here in S. Connacht. So snow, be it 'dry' or not, can feck off.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

While we are waiting for Tuesday, sigh.....

I well remember in 2010 that I could not get the sliding door open in the porch to get to work. Frozen solid. The path was clear in the front garden and salted, but the footpaths and the road (cul de sac) were lethal.

Anyway I was on my own at the time, and eventually thought of using a hairdryer on an extension lead to thaw the door. It worked great. I also used two golf umbrellas as walking sticks to get to the bus stop. It was hilarious, but I felt like a wild west pioneer, nothing would stop me.

Only problem was, when I eventually got home, the sliding door was frozen solid again.

Had to do the hairdryer thing again with a humungous lead from neighbours house and their hairdryer too. Fun times.

Then it thawed next day.

I hope I haven't bored you all, there's a bit of a wait going on for this episode!

Right, battery powered hair dryer now added to the prep list. Thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 newinvestor

I think people are wildly exaggerating the snow and temperatures rte is saying cold weather -1,-2 ish for Dublin I’m not expecting much other than a bit of sleet and snow .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

frozen-nore.jpg

River Nore in south Laois during 2010. The Nore is the fastest flowing river in Ireland.

Meanwhile back in 2018 and the cold is really getting in here now. Skies cleared after 4pm and the "heat" (today's max was barely above 4c) is seeping out into space. Currently 0.8c. Dewpoint -1.7c! Bring on the precip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I think people are wildly exaggerating the snow and temperatures rte is saying cold weather -1,-2 ish for Dublin I’m not expecting much other than a bit of sleet and snow .

Good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

ME have to be a bit more conservative and cannot say a week in advance that it'll be snowmageddon due to the panic it would cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Would be still easier to explain than your 'unique' username :P

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Driving from north London tomorrow (Sunday) evening for the 02:45 ferry from Pembroke to Rosslare. Am I getting ahead of the worst or will the temps be low enough for heavy ice?

• Advertisement

How is it possible to do my biology and english homework with such an active thread? *Sigh* suppose ill just delay it till sunday.. then monday.. then tuesday.. I mean.. some things are more important.. like snow.. right? :D

Choose a good period where you're left doing nothing or waiting for model runs to come like between the ECM 12z and GFS 18z is a good period for example.

If you're a person like me who can focus on multiple things at a time, I tend to listen to music so I won't be fully bored out of my head doing that pointless crap (aka homework).

Technically it is more important yes because it leads to chaos and for some, matter of life and death.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement