Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Not a bad chart at all for 12pm Tuesday (ECM)

ECM0-72.GIF?24-0

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I think people are wildly exaggerating the snow and temperatures rte is saying cold weather -1,-2 ish for Dublin I’m not expecting much other than a bit of sleet and snow .

I think people are wildly exaggerating the pessimism and throwing their toys out of a pram.

I have already expressed multiple times how extraordinary this event is with how the stratosphere has been behaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Choose a good period where you're left doing nothing or waiting for model runs to come like between the ECM 12z and GFS 18z is a good period for example.

If you're a person like me who can focus on multiple things at a time, I tend to listen to music so I won't be fully bored out of my head doing that pointless crap (aka homework).

Technically it is more important yes because it leads to chaos and for some, matter of life and death.

very true. Working on getting it done before ecm 12z right now. Music is always the best help.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 newinvestor

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    ME have to be a bit more conservative and cannot say a week in advance that it'll be snowmageddon due to the panic it would cause.

Or the fact that they are been realistic , I trust ME they are professionals they know that we are unlikely to get anything that this thread is predicting .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I've a flight to Canada via Heathrow on Thursday afternoon, following this thread to have an idea of how fúcked I might be. It's actually kinda irritating reading people get very excited about a weather event with the potential to seriously fúck things up for many people.

Your only issue should be making it to the airport, it needs to be pretty constant and heavy for complete cancellations!?
    Expect delays but runways will be kept clear as best possible....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Or the fact that they are been realistic , I trust ME they are professionals they know that we are unlikely to get anything that this thread is predicting .

I doubt you'll be saying that in about 48 hours when they issue a red warning

I think people are wildly exaggerating the pessimism and throwing their toys out of a pram.

I have already expressed multiple times how extraordinary this event is with how the stratosphere has been behaving.

Well ring ME and get a job there if you know more than them !

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

How is it possible to do my biology and english homework with such an active thread? *Sigh* suppose ill just delay it till sunday.. then monday.. then tuesday.. I mean.. some things are more important.. like snow.. right? :D

You tell me. Have a 3,500 word college essay due for Monday, I've only got 500 words written so far because of all this weather watching. :eek: Damn these amazing models!

No they have to keep it low because they could cause country wide havoc if they said 'Everyone is going to be buried in their homes' and then it turns out is doesn't happen. Earliest we could hear something like that is Sunday. The models we see now are what they are also reading, so they know something is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

NoodleMc wrote: »
    Just back from the shops. Overheard a conversation where one lad was telling another that he had heard from someone he knows who works in M.E. (when I heard M.E. I reversed direction and pretended to be extremely interested in the fresh fish, when of course I was actually heading to the tinned goods aisle), that..and I quote "He's telling me it's going to be like the 80's".

Nearly skipped out of the shops! :D

(Mind you I'm assuming that by 'Like the 80's' he was referring to snow amounts and not the hairstyles! :eek:)

Please let it be the music, been hoping for an upgrade of that for nearly 30 years

• Advertisement

I doubt you'll be saying that in about 48 hours when they issue a red warning

That last storm Ophelia I went for a run around Dublin in midst of it it was pathetic we don’t get extreme weather here we are protected by the warm sea on east coast there will be enough snow for a few snowballs and a couple of cold days , we will laugh at these predictions then.

Yeah, they don't sound like they are expecting anything... :rolleyes:

From Met.ie

Tuesday: Some sunny spells on Tuesday, but cloudier in eastern and southern counties especially with occasional sleet and snow showers and possibly some more prolonged falls of snow in some parts later in the day. Daytime temperatures similar to Monday, 2 to 4 degrees Celsius in the midlands and east about 5 or 6 degrees Celsius in more western and southwestern parts. Very frosty on Tuesday night.

Wednesday through to Friday: Extremely cold with penetrating severe frosts and temperatures struggling to get above zero by day especially in eastern counties. Widespread snow showers at times, most especially in eastern, southern and northern counties and some disruptive accumulations are likely in these areas. There is a weather advisory in operation, which will be continuously updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If you're a person like me who can focus on multiple things at a time, I tend to listen to music so I won't be fully bored out of my head doing that pointless crap .

Ditto Syran. Music is the highest form of art. Without it, the world is dead.

New Moon

That last storm Ophelia I went for a run around Dublin in midst of it it was pathetic we don’t get extreme weather here we are protected by the warm sea on east coast there will be enough snow for a few snowballs and a couple of cold days , we will laugh at these predictions then.

tell that to the 300,000 people who lost power for days or the 1billion worth of damage done around the country... or to the families of the people who lost a loved one... or the schools whose roofs blew off in cork.. just because it didn't happen in your back yard doesn't mean it didn't happen

tell that to the 300,000 people who lost power for days or the 1billion worth of damage done around the country... or to the families of the people who lost a loved one.

Not to mention, 3 people who died. Would have been so much more without warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,740 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well some people died in the storm. Some level of conspiracy theory you have to say it was pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I think people are wildly exaggerating the snow and temperatures rte is saying cold weather -1,-2 ish for Dublin I’m not expecting much other than a bit of sleet and snow .
    any chance of the lotto numbers?

... It's exactly that warm sea that's going to be the reason the east coast get pummeled by streamers

Damn, that's a cold chart! 96 hours out, I think that's in the bank now.

ECM0-96.GIF?24-0

... It's exactly that warm sea that's going to be the reason the east coast get pummeled by streamers

Ah but sure if he can go for a run theres no problem!

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Ditto Syran. Music is the highest form of art. Without it, the world is dead.

And funnily enough, music is one of my two obsessions (the other being meteorology/weather :)). It impacts everybody on a regular basis just like weather does and this is a big reason why I love both.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah but sure if he can go for a run theres no problem!

I wouldn't mind going for a run in the snow if I'm honest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

3 people died in storm ophelia, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

You have to imagine what boards weather would be like if Met Eireann rules applied here.

A thread for next Wednesday weather would not have started yet.
    The thread for Monday would have started this morning with all models in agreement.
    Each post would have to be vetted to ensure that very single word was correct.
    No post could be deleted or edited.
    You would err on the side of caution with each post.
    There would be one opinion. No discussion.

Boards discussions and Met Eireann forecasts are two COMPLETELY different things. You can not compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I've downloaded a few movies on netflix. I have three good powerbanks. I have water, grog, bread, real butter, good cheese and some crackers and luvverly yogurts from Aldi.

Do you think I will survive this? LOL. Talking about ESB fail here BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Awesome Ecm
    Perfect angle of attack with Fridays low

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Had a polish lad tell me there that "he hears it every year and we never get it" and that it'll be raining tomorrow and all next week he can feel it in the air.

What can one do but laugh :)

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Had a polish lad tell me there that "he hears it every year and we never get it" and that it'll be raining tomorrow and all next week he can feel it in the air.

A polish guy on another forum said that the GFS 18z the other night was absolute sh!t and hasn't a clue why people are calling this incoming spell a deep freeze. :p

JCX BXC wrote: »

Drum solo mofo

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Weather forecast starting on RTE 1 now.

ME advising that we could have orange warning or higher later in the week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement