Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Merciful lord the immaturity and petty bickering seen in this thread is ridiculous. Off to After Hours or something with ye!

Back to the weather - the beautiful runs continue. Won't be too much longer till the first radar checks to see the first of the snow developing, though I'm sure the 3 day wait till precip should begin will feel like an eternity. Serious interest in the Thursday/Friday developing scenario. Could be an epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah but sure if he can go for a run theres no problem!

Says it all that the poster was jogging in the city centre i.e a tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Orange / yellow warning but could be higher.
    It's an extreme event.

The weather goddess of rte has spoken:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not often you hear "significant amounts of snow" on the RTE forecast with full certainty!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

'Arpege'. Snow depth forecast chart up to next Thursday.

snowdepth_102.jpg?2018022412

I think rather than being all that accurate about depths, I think this would be more inline about distribution.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Joanna more or less confirmed that everyone should expect some red warnings next week and explained that they won't be made until 24/48hrs before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

She said they will upgrade 48 hours beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

1cm wow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

1cm in a lot of dublin city on that..
    What happened to the pasting I thought people were saying we'd get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EC quite progressive with the northward movement of that low with less cold uppers moving up Friday. Tonnes of snow though upto then. Will be interesting to see where it lies in its EPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

Between rugby and weather charts I’m loving this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

I know we live in our own little Island ..but this weather will be effecting mainland Europe before us ..lots of Alarms showing on Metoalarm for tomorrow so its on its way will be hard to ignore

https://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/1/0/EU-Europe.html

442746.jpg

wakka12 wrote: »

Don't be believing in these kinds of charts. Models are extremely poor when it comes to streamers(if they weren't poor already).

wakka12 wrote: »

Wouldn't take too much heed about forecast depths at this stage. I think there will be a lot more in favour local spots in the east.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

NW will implode with latest EC run. Thaw setting in Saturday on this run with heavy snow turning back to rain from the south

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think rather than being all that accurate about depths, I think this would be more inline about distribution.

What does it mean right on the coast?

I live in Bettystown just near Drogheda and a few times I have seen graphs like that which show lots of snow ( up to 6cm) nearby but just on the coast it misses! Am i reading it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

NW will implode with latest EC run. Thaw setting in Saturday on this run with heavy snow turning back to rain from the south

If only that sodding azores low would move eastwards, and then prolong the cold by bringing in northeasterlies. Models today seem to be intent on bringing the show to an end next weekend.

I can just see pessimists throwing their toys out of a pram after seeing these comments now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's another solution. I'd prefer either GFS or UKMO. Plenty of action before then though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Don't think this ecm run is the best for us in the south. But its one run, model variation again we have seen this in the past and everything changed again in the next run so no 'OMG DOWNGRADE' posts please :p

Drumpot wrote: »
    What does it mean right on the coast?

I live in Bettystown just near Drogheda and a few times I have seen graphs like that which show lots of snow ( up to 6cm) nearby but just on the coast it misses! Am i reading it right?

Don't be worrying! That is just down to grid resolution. Snow is more likely to a build up away from the coast but that does not mean to say it won't accumulate in coastal regions.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

What do you mean weathercheck? And I’m assuming you mean the northwest as in nw of the country. I’m in Donegal so I’m curious thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very poor Ecm latter stages.
    Goes against a lot of the background signals.
    Another I've noticed is a couple of days ago we were showing a straight easterly feed on wed
    That's changed now to a southeasterly still bitter but not quite magic from a synoptic pov

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

This could be one to remember, woudnt mind if it thawed come Saturday ... just once we get the wintry magic during the week that is!

DominoDub wrote: »
    I know we live in our own little Island ..but this weather will be effecting mainland Europe before us ..lots of Alarms showing on Metoalarm for tomorrow so its on its way will be hard to ignore

https://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/1/0/EU-Europe.html

442746.jpg

Do we really need an official warning for -3.0c temps?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NoodleMc

Could someone please explain how to read the colours on charts such as the arpege above? Does the number go with the colour on it's right or left (e.g is the lightest blue on the arpege 5 or 10?)
    Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Rodar08 wrote: »
    What do you mean weathercheck? And I’m assuming you mean the northwest as in nw of the country. I’m in Donegal so I’m curious thanks ;)

He means the netweather forum

A thaw would be very bad because places would be seeing severe floods, going by the ECM 12z.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    He means the netweather forum

:D:D thank you Daniel. I was very hopeful he meant the NW were suddenly heading for snowmageddon .. not to be lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement