Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I remember my old man always,talking of the great snow of 47.
    It was at the end of February too.
    https://m.independent.ie/life/remembering-the-great-irish-blizzard-of-february-1947-34482677.html

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

CeilingFly wrote: »
    In the technical thread MT is suggesting that it will be gone by the weekend, and whilst he's suggesting heavy snow for midweek, there's still no certainty due to the various models changing with each run.

As I said, best to wait till closer to the event before assuming any big snowfall.

I just think it won't happen as we're just too far on the edge of a very big system covering most of Europe.

I won't put on a smug smile yet ☺

Be careful with that smug smile, three or more days of biting easterlies will have already frozen it into place by the time of any possible breakdown. :D

The main event is already locked in, which is streamers in the East / South East from potentially Monday night until maybe Friday; there's no wishing that part away now.

And the time of the potential breakdown, the cold air will have already made it half way across the Atlantic Ocean. The low pressure in question would be actually cutting the cold air mass in half so to speak, so nothing to do with us being on the edge of the system, as we'll actually be in the middle of it.

Just saying like. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

wakka12 wrote: »
    Oh I see. But how did animals in cold weather countries survive winters?

Guess they're inside. What killed so many in NI was the blizzard hit at the end of March, a couple of days before the LP was expected to move further east, day before it locked on more that it was going to hit, guess it caught so many farmers out, so many sheep buried alive and the snow lay for weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cpg093

Is there any likelihood of much snow in the west during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

-0.7C here now. DP -3.4C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

cpg093 wrote: »
    Is there any likelihood of much snow in the west during the week?

Wouldn’t think much. We might get a dusting. But that was near the weekend which has changed slightly i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Im loving the BBC potential blizzards for the south and it goes up to cork! If that happened we would all shut up from down here :pac::pac: Would like if that low got pushed down south again though and the cold remained :cool:

I thought it would push up further north than it showed unless it did later on. Will be interesting to see how far the front makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

So am I reading it right, MT Cranium is predicting a 25% chance of max 2ft of snow in the Dublin / central Leinster area over the cold spell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Be careful with that smug smile, three or more days of biting easterlies will have already frozen it into place by the time of any possible breakdown. :D

The main event is already locked in, which is streamers in the East / South East from potentially Monday night until maybe Friday; there's no wishing that part away now.

And the time of the potential breakdown, the cold air will have already made it half way across the Atlantic Ocean. The low pressure in question would be actually cutting the cold air mass in half so to speak, so nothing to do with us being on the edge of the system, as we'll actually be in the middle of it.

Just saying like. :D

This got me goin again.
    Bring it on ðŸ’႒ðŸ’႒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Im loving the BBC potential blizzards for the south and it goes up to cork! If that happened we would all shut up from down here :pac::pac: Would like if that low got pushed down south again though and the cold remained :cool:

Me too. I would rather the low stayed to the south of Ireland and we remained in an east or north east flow for the weekend. As many people said, there’s a good chance the low will fizzle out as it meets the very cold air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just back from walking the dog and Jesus is it cold in cork. The wind is freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I know it's not even arrived yet but it's below freezing here in Portmarnock..

But it's a lovely dry cold

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    I've been prepping but all the *good* stuff (wine and chocolate) will be gone by Sunday! (Sigh)

Same Chez Foggy :-(.

Availed of Lidl's special offers on wine earlier this week ..... Well, with Snowmaggedon on the way, I felt perfectly justified. Seems the feckers sold me leaky bottles. Most of it must have evaporated, cos all I have left is empty bottles... Hic

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Latest ECM run a good bit milder than its ensemble mean apparently (although upper temperature still rises overall).

I feel like crying they just keep coming :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    -0.7C here now. DP -3.4C.

2 degrees here in Sligo and no wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Dropped from 2.0c to 0.5c in the last hour. Starting to look like it could be colder than predicted here tonight

130 m asl
    North Cork Limerick Tipperary border

Edit: +1 hour Temperature now -0.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Driving into my local Ballygobackwards earlier.... my passenger remarked that, sitting in a well-heated car, looking out, it could have been a mad hot Summers day. There was what could have been mistaken for a heat haze around.... This was heading into Trim from a southerly direction

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

First time on Boards today so was nervously expecting a downgrade or sorts but looks ok still i think , my worry is that the good stuff is always 5 days off so plenty of time for things to go wrong still , bit worried too that anything coming off Biscay would only mean rain for Cork city , we will see I guess , bought the last snow shovel in Argos MP today , good few shifted in last 24 hours !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The Telegraph - Published on Mar 25, 2013

The heavy March snowfall has been a "disaster" for rural communities, says sheep farmer Gareth Wyn Jones as he desperately tries to dig his flock out of five-foot high drifts.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Met Éireann have update their advisory
    STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Ireland
    Update on previous Advisory.

Exceptionally cold weather is forecast for next week with significant wind chill and severe frosts. Disruptive snow showers are expected from Tuesday onwards, particularly in the east and southeast. Snow showers perhaps merging into more persistent bands of snow from midweek.

Issued:Saturday 24 February 2018 17:00
    Valid:Tuesday 27 February 2018 00:01 to Saturday 03 March 2018 18:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I'm not particularly bothered that there may be a breakdown towards next weekend, by all accounts it looks like being a historic spell of cold weather. Having not seen any lying snow lasting longer than a few hours (and even then, fairly piddling amounts) since late 2010, I'm looking forward to finally seeing a decent amount of good, powdery snow even if it won't last a week. Give me that over an anticlimactic northwesterly any day.

Met Éireann have update their advisory

What’s ur current take on it all Kermit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's -2c here (Dublin 5). Surprising because I'm 3km from the coast with an onshore breeze. I feel mental saying this but I feel like I might get 50cm give or take 10cm from this from this cold spell. If this got going a day earlier then I would have missed a day of my mock exams probably! I'm off on Wednesday and Thursday so it wouldn't affect me if the school shut on those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder where will be first to report the snowfall!

Get your bets out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Artane2002 wrote: »
    It's -2c here (Dublin 5). Surprising because I'm 3km from the coast with an onshore breeze. I feel mental saying this but I feel like I might get 50cm give or take 10cm from this from this cold spell. If this got going a day earlier then I would have missed a day of my mock exams probably! I'm off on Wednesday and Thursday so it wouldn't affect me if the school shut on those days.

Is that according to a weather station in your garden/nearby or is it what your phone says? If it's your phone, that's the current temperature at Dublin Airport, your closest official reporting station. Artane is likely to be a fair bit milder than the airport as it mainly concrete and is likely to be around freezing, if not a little above.

If the temperature reading is indeed from your own station, I take it all back!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

davidsr20 wrote: »
    What’s ur current take on it all Kermit :)

My take is in the forecast in the OP. It has not changed today. Full steam ahead :)

If it changes i'll update it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

highdef wrote: »
    Is that according to a weather station in your garden/nearby or is it what your phone says? If it's your phone, that's the current temperature at Dublin Airport, your closest official reporting station. Artane is likely to be a fair bit milder than the airport as it mainly concrete and is likely to be around freezing, if not a little above.
    .... a little above, 0.3c in my backyard not that far from Artane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Seemingly sheep are particularly at risk. On wiki it states that 1/4 of the UK sheep stock was killed in the 46/47 winter(:eek:). 4 million died in Wales alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

JackieChan wrote: »
    Seemingly sheep are particularly at risk. On wiki it states that 1/4 of the UK sheep stock was killed in the 46/47 winter(:eek:). 4 million died in Wales alone

Ba bye

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

I wonder where will be first to report the snowfall!

Get your bets out now.

I'd say East Cork

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement