Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

JackieChan wrote: »
    Seemingly sheep are particularly at risk. On wiki it states that 1/4 of the UK sheep stock was killed in the 46/47 winter(:eek:). 4 million died in Wales alone

Yeah sheep bury themselves into drifts for shelter and then sufficate

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    I don't know what is worse, the tale of you knowing two meteorologists or the fact that you took time to type this pish out? Either your pals are pulling your pisser or your illiterate and can't read what's reported nationwide

Why snow amounts expected to fall west of the shannon were discussed when someone is concerned about snow on glass buildings in Glasnevin is also beyond me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

highdef wrote: »
    Is that according to a weather station in your garden/nearby or is it what your phone says? If it's your phone, that's the current temperature at Dublin Airport, your closest official reporting station. Artane is likely to be a fair bit milder than the airport as it mainly concrete and is likely to be around freezing, if not a little above.

If the temperature reading is indeed from your own station, I take it all back!

It is -2c according to my phone. So that means it is what Dublin Airport reports. Thanks, didn't know that literally 10 minutes down the road would be up to 3c lower than here.

PS my mother was laughing when I told her what is coming next week! Can't wait to see her look of disbelief if there is a status red warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

JackieChan wrote: »
    Seemingly sheep are particularly at risk. On wiki it states that 1/4 of the UK sheep stock was killed in the 46/47 winter(:eek:). 4 million died in Wales alone

Seemly they think a major reason for this is that farmers removed Reeds from their land giving the sheep nothing to lie down by and shelter, snow would build up around the reeds and sheep creating a little snow burrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

.... a little above, 0.3c in my backyard not that far from Artane.

I guessed well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

With all this talk of downgrade 's after just 1 run I think I'll head to the pub for a few and check the evening runs when I come home. We have upgrades and downgrades since the start of this week . We still are over 6 full days from Friday and a lot can change in that time folks. The Cork snow will fail and I can down the hills in west Cork on a fertilizer bag filled with straw reliving 1991 as a kid .

Sorry meant for the other thread

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Currently 0 degrees in coastal wicklow according to my weather station. Forecast was to be 2 to 4 degrees. Have a feeling this cold outbreak is going to be very severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I wonder where will be first to report the snowfall!

Get your bets out now.

Drogheda area.

Meanwhile its a damn cold clear night in South Laois at -1.1c and almost calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

My weather station is showing -1.6 already, it showed -5 last week.
    highdef wrote: »
    Is that according to a weather station in your garden/nearby or is it what your phone says? If it's your phone, that's the current temperature at Dublin Airport, your closest official reporting station. Artane is likely to be a fair bit milder than the airport as it mainly concrete and is likely to be around freezing, if not a little above.

If the temperature reading is indeed from your own station, I take it all back!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The main thing may not be here yet but it's a lot colder now in cork then I expected. I assumed tomorrow night but it's a lot colder sooner than I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I wonder where will be first to report the snowfall!

Get your bets out now.

Outside Swanners window

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

https://www.bbc.com/weather/features/43184987

This guy seems to predict a Snowmageddon type event

Shows the showers getting as far as Donegal, thanks for giving me some hope :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Chilly Willy

Nice mild night here in Wicklow, hard to believe there’s snow on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Define mild? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Mild? It's -2.2 in Ashord, Wicklow.

-0.2 just west of Athlone now and falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

Well his username would suggest he is used to cold temps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nice mild night here in Wicklow

Mild :pac:, bleeding bitter mate.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

Its funny question actually, my father always uses mild for calm weather and not for temperatures like most people do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

So mild that my car is frozen up already. Which part of Siberia are you used to? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Rain on the wind now.

I detest these downgraders mightily. But whatever.

I think some of the snow lovers on here are at risk of doing this too :pac:

Yes, me included! I told anyone that would listen how bad it was supposed to be! Will I ever learn?
    Pangea wrote: »
    I think some of the snow lovers on here are at risk of doing this too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This probably should be in the "I bet you didn't know that" thread in After Hours.

Sheep go with the wind in a storm or gale.
    Cattle will go against the wind in a storm or gale.

So in a field when it's windy. The cattle will stick their heads down and walk into the wind till they get to a ditch and then turn around and just have their backs to the wind with the ditch giving them added shelter from the wind.
    The sheep will do the opposite and walk with the wind till they get to the ditch in the field. Except now the sheep are on the windward side of that ditch in the field and if there's snow, blizzard, drifting conditions the snow will gather up against these ditches and the sheep will be buried. They won't move just stay there as the snow blows and mounts up against the ditch. Burying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

-1 here in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Consonata

Is there an updated expectation upon the original post I was seeing reports of 20cm of snow over the week for the Dublin area. Surely that is a bit optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jjIMAue.png

Getting nippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

This probably should be in the "I bet you didn't know that" thread in After Hours.

Sheep go with the wind in a storm or gale.
    Cattle will go against the wind in a storm or gale.

So in a field when it's windy. The cattle will stick their heads down and walk into the wind till they get to a ditch and then turn around and just have their backs to the wind with the ditch giving them added shelter from the wind.
    The sheep will do the opposite and walk with the wind till they get to the ditch in the field. Except now the sheep are on the windward side of that ditch in the field and if there's snow, blizzard, drifting conditions the snow will gather up against these ditches and the sheep will be buried. They won't move just stay there as the snow blows and mounts up against the ditch. Burying them.

If you say baa-ram-ewe to them they'll move alright so I hear.

Has thread crashed or are we just all worn out form watching over the past 5 days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Mr.S wrote: »
    So no snow :(?

Not tonight there wasn’t any snow forecast........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement