Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

JCX BXC wrote: »
    To be honest, if people would read the thread rather than a single word and immediately post "no snow?" or "downgrade?" we'd have less of this nonsense. I rarely write this so strongly but it is getting tiring.

Also, when you see users being in complete denial that there's cold weather coming, such as our lovely botanical gardens poster earlier, check their post count before taking their word on hand. It seems that all reasonable posts are ignored and anyone wrongfully saying there's no cold coming is believed.

It's always very easy to log onto Met.ie and give a quick check if in any doubt.

I understand many users here are entirely innocent and simply a victim of trolling, to whom I apologise and offer the advice that it's simply a fact of life, and to figure out who the reputable posters are.

Did you mention no snow? I just read no snow 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Any way of watching it online? I missed it live.

Should be on RTE Player in next hour or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The trolling on this thread is A1

We’ve had numerous examples of this type of post all evening.
    The mod note in the OP and the Forum Announcement make it perfectly clear that calling other users trolls on thread is not on.

Cut it out and focus on the weather instead.

Final warning!

MOD NOTE

This is a busy thread and as a result the Mod Team will be taking a zero Tolerance approach to trolling, flaming and personal abuse.

Don’t say you weren’t warned!!

And please don’t feed - report & let the Mod team deal with Troublesome Posters/Trolls

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

gozunda wrote: »
    Dropped from 2.0c to 0.5c in the last hour. Starting to look like it could be colder than predicted here tonight

130 m asl
    North Cork Limerick Tipperary border

Edit:#1 +1 hour Temperature now -0.5c

Edit #2 + 2 hour Temperature now -1.0c

That's quite a rapid temperature drop even for here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

All eyes on the GFS run, -15 uppers touching the east coast from Dublin to Wexford on Wednesday night, dare I say, an Upgrade?

Also, GFS has snow along the east coast south of Dublin from 9am tuesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Odelay

Did I hear a dog barking in the background during the weather report?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Edit #2 + 2 hour Temperature now -1.0c

That's quite a rapid temperature drop for here

The clouds must have cleared in your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

GFS looking colder than the ECM for Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Is it downgraded? Seems to be some chat amongst the boffins on the other thread

Are we reading the same "other" thread?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057844498&page=6

The only posts with any sort of substantial update since the afternoon have been snowstorm mentioning an apocalyptic looking blizzard for the south and my own post about rain - in the context of the rain being totally wrong because the model seems to be confused. (I'll add the usual caveat, while I'm starting to post my interpretations of the models I'm generally sticking to what I know which compared to the big hitters is feck all..so take any guidance I give with a lump of salt even though I'm trying not to talk out my arse :pac: )

There is no downgrade until at least Friday night, maybe later, on any model. And even those are possibly reflective of the computer models struggling to cope with this extreme event. Even if not, the long term trend is still for cold and there will still be massive cold depth to our east so a reload is perfectly possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Odelay wrote: »
    Did I hear a dog barking in the background during the weather report?

A husky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Joanna on the forecast said serious snow on the way next week
    Still a lot of people in denial
    The thread on the farming forum is typical of this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The clouds must have cleared in your location.

I have to admit I havn't gone outside to check - Im quite comfortable in front of the fire and lazily checking the digital outdoor thermometer for updates remotely..

It's going to be a cold night I think ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Imagine if it rained all week. We'd all look like total eejits

(disclaimer for the literal interpreters: this is as near as makes no difference to being impossible at this stage)

I have to admit I havn't gone outside to check - Im quite comfortable in front of the fire and lazily checking the digital outdoor thermometer for updates remotely..

It's going to be a cold night I think ....

Well it's either this or an evil spirit in the house but I am sure it's the first!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Danno wrote: »
    Drogheda area.

Meanwhile its a damn cold clear night in South Laois at -1.1c and almost calm.
    Indeed! I'll be more specific and say Clogherhead. But if it's reports on Boards we should go by, Drogheda should be first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't think some in southern England will be happy with the GFS from 120hrs to 138hrs.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Friday looking more marginal again on the 18z GFS again. Was always only the supplementary piece to come, this week is guaranteed to be bitter.

That low position will be changing on a daily basis. Hard to know when it will be resolved this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

That low position will be changing on a daily basis. Hard to know when it will be resolved this week.

I blame the models not knowing whats going on with the jet stream since this is a rare event to even happen this close to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fully agree, and such a change looks to be an outlier. The 18z is the Pub run so I wouldn't pay full attention, we'll see what the morning brings. 6 days out is still FI.

Although, I must say that there is still some exceptional snowfall before this low moves up, a good few inches up to a foot forecast for even the most coastal fringes of the south. Even if this comes off, we'll still see crippling snowfall from the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

While I do think Dublin will get some snow, cork city will get some frost and sleet as usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Which is the best site for the most likely/up to the minute forecast? I find Met Eireann's site woeful to use

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

The trend has been almost universally negative today as regards that low. The GFS has been amazingly (almost suspiciously) consistent with this all day. Obviously it could be different tomorrow but since it has the support of the ECM it certainly raises eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

fritzelly wrote: »
    Which is the best site for the most likely/up to the minute forecast? I find Met Eireann's site woeful to use

I use BBC weather app and FlowX on Android for models

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

The trend has been almost universally negative today as regards that low. The GFS has been amazingly (almost suspiciously) consistent with this all day. Obviously it could be different tomorrow but since it has the support of the ECM it certainly raises eyebrows.

the only thing that has me questioning the models is because i think around last saturday there was basically a cross model agreement that this entire thing was going to go north, and then the next day they were all back to having it south again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Might be wrong but I reckon an orange alert will go out on Sunday 9pm weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Not a case we are in denial just a case we don't get excited too much till the snow hits. We prepare for it and deal with it when we have to.

You might find that the last few months and fodder crisis has been a bigger problem to us than what's coming. The cold dry weather will actually help out many farmers in the long run to get tanks empty and such. A few days snow we can take to achieve this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I blame the models not knowing whats going on with the jet stream since this is a rare event to even happen this close to the time.

Funny I asked a question about this earlier on the tech tread, if you look at some of the forecasted jet charts, that low is trying to push through a branch of the jet that I think would be blowing against it, I could be wrong, but that doesn't make sense to me, and push through the middle of the cold pool

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Danno wrote: »
    Drogheda area.

Meanwhile its a damn cold clear night in South Laois at -1.1c and almost calm.

Hopefully.... I’ll be watching my lamppost closely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

This thread seems quite negative today considering we're looking at 72 hours of heavy snow showers in the east from Tues morning to Friday morning, with probably some good penetration into inland counties at times too and a couple of ice days for many.

I understand there are many posters in the west relying on the low to deliver for them, and I hope it does. It would be great to get a proper widespread frontal blizzard for everyone, and it's still completely on the cards as it's almost a week away and the models will be wobbling a lot at that timeframe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement