Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Fridays low is the last thing on my mind, There's nearly a full week of a bitter easterly and heavy snow coming up and that much is certain now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rougies wrote: »
    This thread seems quite negative today considering we're looking at 72 hours of heavy snow showers in the east from Tues morning to Friday morning, with probably some good penetration into inland counties at times too and a couple of ice days for many.

I understand there are many posters in the west relying on the low to deliver for them, and I hope it does. It would be great to get a proper widespread frontal blizzard for everyone, and it's still completely on the cards as it's almost a week away and the models will be wobbling a lot at that timeframe.

Thursday evening and Friday looks positively blizzardous, scary infact. This has evolved in such a way I think it infact can't be downgraded, unless the low pressure disappears entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Was just out in my garage doing laundry. The air is dry as a bone. Threw a few bits on the line as I reckon the air will suck the moisture out in no time. 0c, was so calm, didn't feel cold at all. Reminds me of the air in NYC when it is cold, really crisp and dry air that gives you chapped lips in a matter of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Thursday evening and Friday looks positively blizzardous, scary infact. This has evolved in such a way I think it infact can't be downgraded, unless the low pressure disappears entirely.

I don’t think it will disappear, but hopefully trend south wards tomorrow, to far north it’s game over next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

First snow should hit around 9am on Tuesday according to my app. I should note that it also predicts no more than 10cm over the duration.

Is this best (or worst case scenario) depending on your point of view?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was just out in my garage doing laundry. The air is dry as a bone. Threw a few bits on the line as I reckon the air will suck the moisture out in no time. 0c, was so calm, didn't feel cold at all. Reminds me of the air in NYC when it is cold, really crisp and dry air that gives you chapped lips in a matter of hours.

Do you know what happens to moisture when its freezing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Faustino wrote: »
    First snow should hit around 9am on Tuesday according to my app. I should note that it also predicts no more than 10cm over the duration.

I find the best and most practical way to measure snow depth is to do the following:

1. Look out the window

2. Confirm that it is indeed snowing

3. Put on a nice warm coat, grab a ruler, stick to the "measuring snow guidelines" and measure it yourself

It's just more fun that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Everyones very ungrateful since 2010!
    Personally Id be completely content with 10cm that lasted from tuesday to friday. This is ireland guys !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

fritzelly wrote: »
    Do you know what happens to moisture when its freezing? :confused:

I do indeed, should have said I am away early tomorrow so was putting the stuff out to dry in daytime. Just realised how silly I made myself sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

I don’t think it will disappear, but hopefully trend south wards tomorrow, to far north it’s game over next weekend.

Even if the low does push northwards over us and introduces milder air couldnt this air mass just be temporary and then back to cold again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

wakka12 wrote: »
    Everyones very ungrateful since 2010!
    Personally Id be completely content with 10cm that lasted from tuesday to friday. This is ireland guys !

I just want to feel that crunch when you step in snow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

sryanbruen wrote: »

imagine that happened again. Now that would be intense!

10 cm is enough to start a snowball fight with a random stranger on the way home from the pub - even if they are not expecting it (yeah tell that to my friend who did it in 2010 - I was mortified and she was not happy, but his aim for the head was spot on)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I have a question.

If this was hitting us in Summer time, would we be looking at a particularly warm spell, or just the usual mild weather? wondering if we'd get warm air off the continent ?

Wondering in the event that the windflow is changing to be east/west instead of west/east (or just a disruption to it in summer)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    I just want to feel that crunch when you step in snow! :D

That is the reason I have climbed to the top of Lugnaquilla several times this year as this video shows, needs sound ;)

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/967533437006606337

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Please, please, please stop looking at weather apps as a source for a reliable forecast, they're all sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭jirafa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Deank wrote: »
    Please, please, please stop looking at weather apps as a source for a reliable forecast, they're all sh!te.

Weather apps ruin the mystery element of the weather.

Sometimes its good to just know what the weather will be like in the next few days as opposed to 10 days ahead (especially when we have a very cold outbreak like this impending one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

esposito wrote: »
    Weather apps ruin the mystery element of the weather.

Sometimes its good to just know what the weather will be like in the next few days as opposed to 10 days ahead (especially when we have a very cold outbreak like this impending one.

Useful for a nowcast or at best a 48 hour stretch, otherwise utterly useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

daheff wrote: »
    I have a question.

If this was hitting us in Summer time, would we be looking at a particularly warm spell, or just the usual mild weather? wondering if we'd get warm air off the continent ?

Wondering in the event that the windflow is changing to be east/west instead of west/east (or just a disruption to it in summer)

Hot conditions daheff. Look at this example from August 1995, the hottest month on record in Ireland:

archives-1995-8-2-12-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Villain wrote: »
    That is the reason I have climbed to the top of Lugnaquilla several times this year as this video shows, needs sound ;)

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/967533437006606337

Please don't do that again this week. We want you to keep contributing not get buried at 925m! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well it's either this or an evil spirit in the house but I am sure it's the first!

No no it's outside :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Weather apps are handy for checking the radar, even the feeble attempts of snow around my way during this winter were well picked up and close enough in terms of the predicted duration. I use the free version of 'Weather & Radar' - look forward to frantically refreshing the radar over the coming week...

Weather apps are handy for checking the radar, even the feeble attempts of snow around my way during this winter were well picked up and close enough in terms of the predicted duration. I use the free version of 'Weather & Radar' - look forward to frantically refreshing the radar over the coming week...

News headlines from Wednesday - Ireland crashes the internet checking for possible snow showers, tho boards.ie will likely go down first as soon as it starts

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

There’s no doubt that the GFS has in its teeth now a rapid warming up between Friday and Saturday, and instead of trending back South is in fact more progressive with each run for past 3 at least, if this continues, this would put the blinkers on any sort of Day after Tomorrow scenario for Irish snow that was being toyed with for Friday Saturday. ECM still showing something colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

I can’t see that monster cold block being broken down so quickly and easily though ......... I think there will be a lot more chopping and changing of the models to come over the coming days before Friday is nailed on. Cold blocks are slow to shift ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Back in the days loved every minute of it still a young lad (16) hoping for more of the same this week

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

A good portion of the GEFS members are keeping the cold entrenched over Ireland longer (about a quarter of them keep it until Sunday, while I'd say over half of them have it coming up slower than the GFS). It's the OP runs for some reason seem to be fairly bullish about bringing in milder air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Hot conditions daheff. Look at this example from August 1995, the hottest month on record in Ireland:

archives-1995-8-2-12-0.png

Was in Irish college in Cork that month. Not a drop of rain. Blue skies every day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement