Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Hot conditions daheff. Look at this example from August 1995, the hottest month on record in Ireland:

]

I think most of the days that month in Kilkenny were between 25C and 31C.
    I miss our Met Eireann weather station, the Oak Park station is not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Snow totes on the latest GFS run up to next Thrusday.

snowdepth_117.jpg?2018022418

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

lawred2 wrote: »
    Was in Irish college in Cork that month. Not a drop of rain. Blue skies every day.

Ah here, the summer thread hasn't even been started yet. I do like the "not a drop of rain part" though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Sometimes I forget the models aren't actually causing the weather and I get a little bit mad at them for predicting mild weather like they're a person purposely running our dreams of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

snowdepth_117.jpg?2018022418

Omg if dublin got 1cm between monday and thursday from an easterly I would actually cry.

• Advertisement

You know what you're doing posting that. Just because YOU wish you were totes dry :pac:

wakka12 wrote: »
    Omg if dublin got 1cm between monday and thursday from an easterly I would actually cry.

You'll see snow, dunny worry! Models are just a guide, not the be all and end all.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

RobertKK wrote: »

Where was it before? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 36,155 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

VQDeAcP.gif

Rougies wrote: »
    You know what you're doing posting that. Just because YOU wish you were totes dry :pac:

You'll note I did not go beyond. Rocking with fingers in ears trying to pretend it isn't there.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

wakka12 wrote: »

Does this model imply that there might be some sleet etc on the actual coast and perhaps more snow inland from the same showers?
    These numbers are not very threatening, compared to 2010.

VQDeAcP.gif

anigif_original-20072-1459860459-5.gif?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

Just ignore the bit where it the tops goes brown.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks like a good week ahead!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

back home now after an evening out with the family. Really severe frost here, penetrating frost. Roads are not too bad as everywhere has really dryed out over past 3 days.

Currently 0C with a real feel of -5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A beautiful cold,dry day in Westport,the reek in a sexy continental haze,out to murrisk,along the coast the sea a gentle mediternean powder baby blue.
    The sky a murky orange brown,glimmers of sunlight through the haze.

The air crisp and refreshing.i felt like I was at the coast in northern Italia.
    I truly would love a continental climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

RobertKK wrote: »

Kilkenny had 27 days during Summer 1995 where temperatures exceeded 25c compared to the average of 3 or 4. Inland stations had between 10-16 days of such temperatures in August alone.

Hard to believe you were in Ireland with those conditions.

Does this model imply that there might be some sleet etc on the actual coast and perhaps more snow inland from the same showers?
    These numbers are not very threatening, compared to 2010.

Even high resolution models don't handle snow depth well at all and should only be used as a rough guide. This chart is from a relatively "low resolution" model so it is even less accurate and should be discarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

The image implies that Oneric3 is trolling Dubliners and should be banned from the forums.

To be more specific, even high resolution models don't handle snow depth well at all and should only be used as a rough guide. This chart is from a relatively "low resolution" model so it is even less accurate and should be discarded.

Also a lot of models specifically low res ones don't factor in streamer activity

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

lawred2 wrote: »
    Was in Irish college in Cork that month. Not a drop of rain. Blue skies every day.

It was the driest August on record and for some the driest month on record. 2.9mm as the monthly rainfall total at both Ardee, Co. Louth and Derrygreenagh, Co. Offaly. Local thunderstorms during the first week added up totals for some however in all the heat.
    Ah here, the summer thread hasn't even been started yet. I do like the "not a drop of rain part" though :pac:

Yet I've been posting about Summer 2018 in the Winter discussion thread. :rolleyes:

I always like to think ahead haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Where was it before? :O

Kilkenny city before the stupid council had the area around it all built up.

• Advertisement

The image implies that Oneric3 is trolling Dubliners and should be banned from the forums.
    :eek:

I have already stated that the actual values in those charts are useless and that they are more useful for showing the distribution of snow showers.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Is there any danger of flights being cancelled next wkend from cork airport

:eek:

I have already stated that the actual values in those charts are useless and that they are more useful for showing the distribution of snow showers.

Yeah only yanking your chain, I deleted that bit just in case people thought I was serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Hey Guys,

Just letting you know its me Soccarboy11. I got fed up with that username I made when I was 8 with the incorrect spelling and no interest in soccer even, so my new one is MUCH more appropriate!

Your favourite corkonian,
    SleetAndSnow <3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Snow totes on the latest GFS run up next

No thanks, haha Mr unpopular. Voice of reason is not welcome around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Hey Guys,

Just letting you know its me Soccarboy11. I got fed up with that username I made when I was 8 with the incorrect spelling and no interest in soccer even, so my new one is MUCH more appropriate!

SleetAndSnow <3

^this is true, just incase you didnt think so

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Looks like the incoming low on friday fends off the cold feed. Is this now down to being a monday night to friday event before things warm up again? Still time for charts to change/get a grip on things to come this week.. and surely some nice snow accumulations in parts. Hoping things shift again so we get that snow on friday..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Hey Guys,

SleetAndSnow <3

Soccarboy11's boards join date was 2014. ie. 4 years ago. So you are telling us you are only 12 years old now? Either thats true or your creative writing has written you into a dilemma where henceforth you have to pretend to be a 12 year old. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Looks like the incoming low on friday fends off the cold feed. Is this now down to being a monday night to friday event before things warm up again? Still time for charts to change/get a grip on things to come this week.. and surely some nice snow accumulations in parts. Hoping things shift again so we get that snow on friday..

If you look in the Mod/Tech forum, the low won't advance too far north due to the density of the cold and the position of the Jet Stream

• Advertisement

Is that how they serve crème brûlée in Tuam? Maybe if you did it right there would be a few blowtorches knocking around to dry up the ground.

Here is a nice picture of a lemon:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYOJWURhksrDqzAnee6R6KRphtQtZLANnXNtWcCDQg2tThuU_D

And here is a picture of many lemons:

lemons.jpg

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement