Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

sryanbruen wrote: »
    He's referring to this on 11 March 2013:

EDIT: I accidentally posted for the second time in the snow preparations thread! What is up with me today!?

Phew, I thought it was me having a senior moment here!

Not sure it's you, the machine here has been doing strange things in the last half hour, probably gremlins in the server works, or maybe even too many people on line in the weather forum :D

It's just taken me several hours to catch up with the posts over the last 16 hours, that's always a bad sign of something big happening to the weather.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

highdef wrote: »
    Squarecircles, this link was posted hours ago

Really? IV seen it just now,must be why I posted it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Temp in Dublin gone from -2 to +3 over the last couple of hours, what gives?

onshore winds keeping east coast milder.

Down to -4C already in parts of the west and the 'cold' spell isn't here till Monday. Take into account much colder air and possible snow fields, it's possible -10C could happen at some point next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

He's referring to this on 11 March 2013:

oX947.png

EDIT: I accidentally posted for the second time in the snow preparations thread! What is up with me today!?

Somehow you've quoted a post from the technical tread! Time we all took a breather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Somehow you've quoted a post from the technical tread! Time we all took a breather.

Yeah? 'Cause it's off topic to the technical thread as it's not discussing the current model runs.

When somebody posts a comment that is off topic in another thread and I want to reply to it, I either PM or post in the appropriate thread - if possible that is.

Don't want to waste the mods' time and have them to tidy up discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Yeah? 'Cause it's off topic to the technical thread as it's not discussing the current model runs.

When somebody posts a comment that is off topic in another thread and I want to reply to it, I either PM or post in the appropriate thread.

Didn't mean that in a bad way towards you.
    Ah yesh, i think mods are trying to keep up and do some tidying too.
    Until tomorrow.out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

When somebody posts a comment that is off topic in another thread and I want to reply to it, I either PM or post in the appropriate thread.

It's between model runs, I'd think it's all relevant syran, we're all feeling the monotony between the event and the run up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gonzo wrote: »
    onshore winds keeping east coast milder.

Down to -4C already in parts of the west and the 'cold' spell isn't here till Monday. Take into account much colder air and possible snow fields, it's possible -10C could happen at some point next week.

Temperature got to 1.9c (under cloud cover may I add) and is slowly rising, up to 2.2c now. I note Shannon has risen from 0c to 2c also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

highdef wrote: »
    Squarecircles, this link was posted hours ago

1200 posts in not much more than 24 hrs, the odd duplicate link is not only likely but also helpful for those just skimming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭policy75

feeling cold just thinking about feeling cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

-4 here east galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

5 degrees in cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

2.5c in South Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

2.5c in South Offaly

Feels like -5 though!! The wind would slice you in two!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The temperature's risen to 2.3C here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

ps3lover wrote: »
    Will this affect flights next week?

Looks very likely it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

One hundred pages!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Haven't been able to get on since last night. Anyone care to summarise? Are we still looking bad/any downgrades?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

2013Lara wrote: »
    Haven't been able to get on since last night. Anyone care to summarise? Are we still looking bad/any downgrades?

Still all systems go up to Thursday night.

Tentative signs on a few models that things may break down after that, but many posters here feeling that the models are just struggling to get to grips with a low pressure coming from the south with milder air. Even if it does occur, chances are the cold will go out with a bang dumping more snow in the process.

Looking beyond Thursday is a pointless exercise at the moment though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

2013Lara wrote: »

Still looking at a cold and snowy week, some uncertainty about how things will proceed from Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Thanks for that! Appreciated. Sooo many posts since yesterday, hard to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The temperature has risen from -0.7c to 3.0c in a couple of hours, I haven't been outdoors but I can hear the wind which explains this rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Is it def going to snow next week or is it just a possibility?

Well all of the models say Yes but with the weather you never know. Having said that it would be a massive shock if it doesn't, especially in the East and Southeast. Midlands also a high possibility if not certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Is it def going to snow next week or is it just a possibility?

Yes it will snow. The outstanding questions are how much snow will fall in the favoured locations- east and south east... and will snowfall become more widespread later in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Well it's good to see after all these years the old roller coaster is alive and well ....despite the fact we actually have some beautiful looking charts promising a week to remember the thread is full of anguish. Will it won't it.... well folks...this time it looks like it will!

eskimocat wrote: »
    Well it's good to see after all these years the old roller coaster is alive and well ....despite the fact we actually have some beautiful looking charts promising a week to remember the thread is full of anguish. Will it won't it.... well folks...this time it looks like it will!

It's the Irish way :). Until we see it we won't believe it :) This time I think we will have a lot of believers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

eskimocat wrote: »

Well, not everyone lives on the east coast you know, it doesn't look like much away from there tbh. There are posiblilities of widespread snow towards next weekend, but those are far from certain. It certainly looks less exciting now than what it did 2 or 3 days ago, that's for sure

kod87 wrote: »
    Well, not everyone lives on the east coast you know, it doesn't look like much away from there tbh. There are posiblilities of widespread snow towards next weekend, but those are far from certain. It certainly looks less exciting now than what it did 2 or 3 days ago, that's for sure

Whereabouts are you located Kod87?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

netbeatz wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you located Kod87?

Tipperary

• Advertisement

kod87 wrote: »
    Tipperary

Ah ok.

I see what you mean, but I wouldn't rule anything out. Snowfall is near impossible to predict until it is right on top of you. You can look at models and charts till you you go nuts and never get it right. These snow showers could really appear anywhere so keep the faith ðŸ‘

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement