Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Met Eireann giving blizzard like conditions for the south and east on Thursday especially over high ground.
    Thursday: Bitterly cold on Thursday with scattered snow showers at first. A more persistent spell of snow is expected to develop across the south of the country during the afternoon, extending northwards later in the day. Strong to gale force easterly winds will lead to blizzard-like conditions at times across parts of the south and east, especially over high ground with drifting snow. Highest temperatures on Thursday ranging from -1 to +2 degrees. Outbreaks of sleet and snow across the country overnight with further accumulations.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

For Friday they say it looks uncertain but it looks set to remain cold with further outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

A very impressive met eireann forecast if you live in the South or East, very snowy outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

kod87 wrote: »
    A very impressive met eireann forecast if you live in the South or East, very snowy outlook.

It is but all subject to change with that low on Thursday/Friday for the South. The East are guaranteed disruption at this from tomorrow on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Maximum temperatures on Wednesday and Thursday are likely to be at least 1c colder I think than ME have forecast there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Could end up being some slushy mess down here. And if all that snow partially melts and refreezes, could make for nasty conditions over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Just looked at Met Eireann update again for Thursday and they removed the blizzard like conditions bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EC 0z opening charts looking a little less progressive and nice E flow for much of the time, rather than ESE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Fridays low looks a little further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2018022500/ECM0-120.GIF?25-12

The perfect angle of attack
    Blizzards for all of us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

If ECMWF 0Z out to T+ 120 verifies - this week will be historic in terms of snowfall. Quite simply.

I would express an extreme degreee of caution given the variability in modelling this complex scenario - but the ECMWF 0Z output is the stuff of dreams for winter weather enthusiasts. The positioning, air feed source etc. is all simply perfect.

Snowaddict

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Certainly won't be looking beyond Friday as so much uncertainty with the positioning and track of that low crucial to events thereafter....

I think it is finely balanced.. EPS will likely show a wide scatter.

Certainly won't be looking beyond Friday as so much uncertainty with the positioning and track of that low crucial to events thereafter....

I think it is finely balanced.. EPS will likely show a wide scatter.
    The big positive is the Meto seem bullish about the cold remaining!! Surely we can get more than 3/4 days out of such favourable background signals

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Major snow event for later Thursday in to Friday on the ECM

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/100-w-532-n/significant-weather/20180302-0300z.html

The big positive is the Meto seem bullish about the cold remaining!! Surely we can get more than 3/4 days out of such favourable background signals

I read on NW that the the fax chart has the low much further south which is what keeps the cold air in place.

I read on NW that the the fax chart has the low much further south which is what keeps the cold air in place.
    Be interesting to see what happens for Cork.
    I would have expected the ppn charts to be getting better for Tues/Wed but they haven't to be honest.

Be interesting to see what happens for Cork.
    I would have expected the ppn charts to be getting better for Tues/Wed but they haven't to be honest.

Yeah not too much at all but then who knows what might turn up once the flow arrives. If Thursday/Friday worked out we'd get over Tuesday/wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Munster, January and Kermit do you guys work shift or are you pulling all nighters in the build up to this? Just curious as I'm working shift and the threads are a little more quiet at this hour which is nice.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Munster, January and Kermit do you guys work shift or are you pulling all nighters in the build up to this? Just curious as I'm working shift and the threads are a little more quiet at this hour which is nice.
    My mind is on overdrive with the current weather and I just wake when the gfs starts rolling lol....
    Yes it's better early in morning before the droves arrive

My mind is on overdrive with the current weather and I just wake when the gfs starts rolling lol....

Same here. I am always up early anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Me too. Even after the rugby and a few pints 3.30 boom awake. Normally can't wake me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

Would i be right in thinking that there will be little or no local sports events (as in soccer/gaa)next weekend? i'm just south of New Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Even if the event on Thursday/ Friday doesn’t materise there is potential for a foot or more of snow in places in Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Due to fly out of Dublin Friday at lunch time, probably no chance of that now.

Been having a closer look at the short term and I reckon a red warning will be issued for Wednesday
    Dublin looks to get plastered from this similar to 2010....I would include the South coast too which would mean the 2 largest cities going red.
    Let's not forget that's a very large swathe of population.
    For Cork fans the wind is always more enclined to be south of East which will help greatly getting the showers to lap the coast..

Get out and enjoy it and forget any possible breakdown!!

smodgley wrote: »
    Would i be right in thinking that there will be little or no local sports events (as in soccer/gaa)next weekend? i'm just south of New Ross

Unlikely as even if no snow which there should be, pitches will be frozen as well.
    Luckily Ireland Scotland is not next weekend in Dublin.

s15r330 wrote: »
    Well Dublin airport is a busy intl hub so I would imagine they'll do everything to keep it functional

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Do you still think theres a chance of met upgrading the warning? I'm struggling to gague whats happening over on tech thread. It sounds like a shorter event now.
    I'm heading to the supermarket this morning and basically just want to know how much stuff to buy! (south dublin 260m)

Edited to add... sorry I read the newer posts that appeared while I was typing this one

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

s15r330 wrote: »

Not necessarily, but certainly likely to be delays due to de-icing aircraft and clearing snow from runways.

Been having a closer look at the short term and I reckon a red warning will be issued for Wednesday
    Dublin looks to get plastered from this similar to 2010....I would include the South coast too which would mean the 2 largest cities going red.
    Let's not forget that's a very large swathe of population.
    For Cork fans the wind is always more enclined to be south of East which will help greatly getting the showers to lap the coast..

Get out and enjoy it and forget any possible breakdown!!

Yeah looks good for those in Cork on the coast facing east. I might have to drive to get my snow fix or pray to someone for Thursday to work out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Luckily Ireland Scotland is not next weekend in Dublin.

AFAIK, the Aviva has under pitch heating?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement