Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yeah looks good for those in Cork on the coast facing east. I might have to drive to get my snow fix or pray to someone for Thursday to work out.
    It has happened before where places like crosshaven and carrigaline see snow and the city misses out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

DOCARCH wrote: »
    AFAIK, the Aviva has under pitch heating?

Am sure it does. I meant people travelling to it within Ireland and the scots. Anyway 2 weeks away so not an issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Well Dublin airport is a busy intl hub so I would imagine they'll do everything to keep it functional
    Not necessarily, but certainly likely to be delays due to de-icing aircraft and clearing snow from runways.

Thanks. Wouldn't mind a delay once we get going!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

UK met still yellow warnings (yellowsnow :) )
    Surely they will upgrade today

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Been having a closer look at the short term and I reckon a red warning will be issued for Wednesday
    Dublin looks to get plastered from this similar to 2010....I would include the South coast too which would mean the 2 largest cities going red.
    Let's not forget that's a very large swathe of population.
    For Cork fans the wind is always more enclined to be south of East which will help greatly getting the showers to lap the coast..

Get out and enjoy it and forget any possible breakdown!!
    Did we get a red warning in 2010?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Anyway 2 weeks away so not an issue!

Indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Brianmeath wrote: »

No warning system back then.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Brianmeath wrote: »

Warning system, as we know it now, was not around then.

Warning system, as we know it now, was not around then.

If it was it would have been super red lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ohh Matthew on forecast duty with Met Eireann ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

AFAIK, the Aviva has under pitch heating?

All melted for Dublin v Kerry 7pm Sat? :rolleyes:
    No mention from met eirann not unsurprisingly, wintry forecast though, significant accumulations not just confined to the east from Wed on

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Possibly the best Met Eireann forecast I have read or will read in my lifetime.
    Snow for many. Enjoy the week everybody❄️☃️⛄️

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Been having a closer look at the short term and I reckon a red warning will be issued for Wednesday Dublin looks to get plastered from this similar to 2010....I would include the South coast too which would mean the 2 largest cities going red. Let's not forget that's a very large swathe of population. For Cork fans the wind is always more enclined to be south of East which will help greatly getting the showers to lap the coast..

I'm Macroom, should I forgot about buying the kids a sledge? I was hoping we wouldn't be too far west...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

aisling86 wrote: »
    I'm Macroom

Hi Macroom. Nice to meet you.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Often here in Waterford city the comeragh mountains tend to be the limit for snow coming up the south coast. I’ve often seen photos of snow in Dungarvan where none fell in Waterford City. Am I right in saying the setup is different this time due to the easterly wind and streamer potential? We seem to have the temperature and wind direction to bring Waterford city into the fold on Wednesday - Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

All melted for Dublin v Kerry 7pm Sat? :rolleyes:
    No mention from met eirann not unsurprisingly, wintry forecast though, significant accumulations not just confined to the east from Wed on

What didn't they mention?

I'm Macroom, should I forgot about buying the kids a sledge? I was hoping we wouldn't be too far west...
    It's a wait and see. I would assume at least some showers will get there. Of course if Thursday comes off you will see plenty snow anyway. So yes buy the sledge

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

What didn't they mention?

Never mentioned beyond Friday but national forecast online mentions the uncertainty so don't blame them as potentially very disruptive if the colder scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That is some forecast by Met Eireann and well delivered by Matty.

For those who have been telling family etc of the upcoming cold spell and snow only to be laughed at should send them this forecast from Met Eireann:
    Outlook

Headline: Becoming exceptionally cold with severe frosts and significant snowfall in parts.

Monday night: Dry on Monday night apart from the odd snow flurry near the east coast. A sharp frost will form with temperatures falling between -1 and -5 degrees in light or moderate easterly breezes.

Tuesday: Frost gradually clearing on Tuesday morning to leave it dry at first with some sunny spells. However, cloud will increase from the east in the afternoon with patchy sleet and snow moving in to affect parts of east Ulster, Leinster and east Munster - staying largely dry elsewhere. Maximum temperatures on Tuesday of 2 to 5 degrees in a biting east to northeast wind.

Tuesday night: Snow showers will become fairly frequent across eastern counties during Tuesday evening and overnight with slight to moderate accumulations expected by dawn. A good deal of dry weather elsewhere but a few snow showers cannot be ruled out. A severe frost forming with temperatures falling to between -3 and -7 degrees.

Wednesday: Extremely cold on Wednesday with sunny spells and snow showers, the snow showers will be heaviest and most frequent across the eastern half of the country with further accumulations expected. Temperatures remaining below freezing in most parts of the country with frost and ice persisting through the day. Maximum temperatures will range from -1 to +1 degrees in strong and gusty easterly winds.

Wednesday night: Further snow showers overnight, mainly across Ulster, Leinster and east Munster but with a few flurries possible elsewhere. Severe frost forming nationwide with temperatures falling to between -3 and -7 degrees in strong easterly winds.

Thursday: Bitterly cold on Thursday with scattered snow showers at first. A more persistent spell of snow is expected to develop across the south of the country during the afternoon, extending northwards later in the day. Strong to gale force easterly winds will accompany the snow leading to drifting, especially over high ground. Highest temperatures on Thursday ranging from -1 to +2 degrees. Outbreaks of sleet and snow across the country overnight with further accumulations.

Friday: There remains some uncertainty on weather conditions for Friday but it looks set to remain cold and unsettled with further outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow.

I'm Macroom, should I forgot about buying the kids a sledge?

I'd be surprised if you find one to buy!

I was in Carrickmines (in Dublin) yesterday and there was a sledge buying frenzy! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

I actually have one put away in the local toy shop, was shocked to see they had two on Thursday, they are rolly toys snow maxi, they are holding it for me until Monday I was waiting to see if I'd get my monies worth. People locally here are oblivious to what weather is due, finally our families in cork are starting to prepare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

There's a hill field at the back of our house, the local kids use empty fertiliser bags as sleds on it, its been used a few times this year already.
    My youngest, 24, still does it if he is around in snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The farming forcast will be one to watch today, I would not be surprised to see some weather warnings issued during it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

It seems every time I check the Met Eireann website, the weather warning / advisory summary around this event has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I'm in north west Wicklow 204m asl. I think I'm in for some nice snowfalls. I've read every post in this thread and the last.

Thank you to all the knowledgeable posters, I've thoroughly enjoyed your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

In MT Craniums post for Thursday
    “If the low does not get close enough to participate, it will be more of a continuation of the east coast and occasionally south coast snowfalls (perhaps 10 to 30 cm)” is it possible that it will effect Leinster be it the CM accumulate will be at the 10 CM end?

I'm in north west Wicklow 204m asl. I think I'm in for some nice snowfalls. I've read every post in this thread and the last.

Thank you to all the knowledgeable posters, I've thoroughly enjoyed your posts.

I'd be very surprised if you didn't see snow.

I am speculating that snowfall, for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday will be similar in distribution, nature and intensity (at times) to 2010....after that, for Friday (and beyond), we have to wait and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭redsky7

I live about a mile from the coast in bray, is any precipitation that falls til Thursday or so likely to be of snow even so close to the sea? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I need to drive from south Dublin to Drogheda and back again on Tuesday... I’m a bit worried of getting caught in a flurry now!

• Advertisement

redsky7 wrote: »
    I live about a mile from the coast in bray, is any precipitation that falls til Thursday or so likely to be of snow even so close to the sea? Cheers.

Yip....snow and graupel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement