Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if you find one to buy!

I was in Carrickmines (in Dublin) yesterday and there was a sledge buying frenzy! :pac:

Dutchbikeshop in goatstown had a fair few yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Woke up and immediately checked the GFS run. Looks more snow than last night on Friday.

To be honest, I'll give it a few more runs and then I'll be making preparations for Thursday Night/Friday morning, it looks like a very significant snowfall, it would probably be better if it thawed immediately afterwards as the country simply wouldn't function worth a foot of snow lying on top of it.

That's the realistic side of me, perhaps it comes out in the morning. The other side of me is doing jumping jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’m in Letterkenny and hopeful the whole thing will miss us. We’ve already had 3 significant (I’m my opinion) snowfalls in the last 3 months where we had between 6-10cms on snow lying for 3 days or more. I live on high ground (170m ASL) and so we get snow when places 5km away have zero. I’m sick to death of putting on and taking off my snow wheels/tyres and sick to death of snow so I hope we get none this time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I’m in Letterkenny and hopeful the whole thing will miss us.

The east and south are more than happy to take one for the team. :pac:

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The east and south are more than happy to take one for the team. :pac:

I'll take some of your burden in West Clare thanks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'll take some of your burden in West Clare thanks ;)
    No keep your snowshield! Only joking haha, hope you get the snow that you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

From the met eireann forecast it looks like any snow for the south (ie. Cork ;-)) won’t happen until Thursday...I don’t think I can wait that long!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

According to the latest guidance, you should get snow in Cork on Wednesday, maybe even Tuesday night.

leahyl wrote: »
    From the met eireann forecast it looks like any snow for the south (ie. Cork ;-)) won’t happen until Thursday...I don’t think I can wait that long!

Take note of anywhere east munster is mentioned and you've a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Take note of anywhere east munster is mentioned and you've a good chance.

Yeah, I’ve always thought of East Munster as Waterford and East Cork though....hopefully I’m wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

redsky7 wrote: »
    I live about a mile from the coast in bray, is any precipitation that falls til Thursday or so likely to be of snow even so close to the sea? Cheers.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

From all accounts it sounds like Donegal will be extremely cold but not too much in the way of snow is that right? Specifically N.Donegal.. like the only area that doesn’t get much snow when the rest of Donegal is blanket of white area ..

I’ll have to move. To Alaska. Quite possibly the most severe event in 30 years and nada. I don’t think I can. I mean I can’t :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Be thankful that materialises! Until then we might get the odd scattered snow shower or flurry from Tuesday on. East cork should do better

Yeah, I’ve always thought of East Munster as Waterford and East Cork though....hopefully I’m wrong

It would be, however there's no reason why they won't make it to the city and even further! I'm banking on showers from the East making it the whole way across to me in West Clare ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,513 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Musefan wrote: »
    I need to drive from south Dublin to Drogheda and back again on Tuesday... I’m a bit worried of getting caught in a flurry now!

I'm due up in Belfast. I reckon I'll postpone until the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ok I've read back and thanks to those for the constructive and informative updates on the situation but I don't get the ganging up on those who aren't as enamoured with the idea of dramatic snow events in the next few days - as I've said previously, I for one hope this event isn't as bad as most here are hoping for.

I get that a lot of people are excited about the prospect, but there are many for whom this will cause nothing but frustration and hardship if it is as severe as predicted - the elderly, homeless, emergency services, hospitals, and even just those who will still be expected to go to work (in my case a commute from Laois to Dublin - thank you rental crisis!) :(

Then there's the inevitable traffic chaos and accidents (I'll give an example. A few weeks ago I was coming home on the M7 and hit a near whiteout around Kildare Town.. The gritters hadn't been out yet and the motorway literally disappeared! Very scary stuff in the dark with fast traffic around you - and I don't intimidate easily on the roads!), cancelled/delayed public transport services or flights, and general hassle of getting around in that weather (and I remember 2010 well.. You can be prepared yourself all you want, but for every person like you there will be 10 who aren't).

Again I get that many people like snow and how it makes the place look and feel, but it's not "trolling" to not be looking forward to all this and to hope that the country won't come to a standstill next week.

Unless this thread is just for the fans, maybe a bit of understanding of the above might help the flow a bit better?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

It would be, however there's no reason why they won't make it to the city and even further! I'm banking on showers from the East making it the whole way across to me in West Clare ffs!

Well in that case I’m banking on the beast flowing over from the north to us in N. Donegal :D sweeet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

OMG is it really only Sunday ..............all this waiting is killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Ecm keeping it good next weekend hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ok I've read back and thanks to those for the constructive and informative updates on the situation but I don't get the ganging up on those who aren't as enamoured with the idea of dramatic snow events in the next few days - as I've said previously, I for one hope this event isn't as bad as most here are hoping for.

I get that a lot of people are excited about the prospect, but there are many for whom this will cause nothing but frustration and hardship if it is as severe as predicted - the elderly, homeless, emergency services, hospitals, and even just those who will still be expected to go to work (in my case a commute from Laois to Dublin - thank you rental crisis!) :(

Then there's the inevitable traffic chaos and accidents (I'll give an example. A few weeks ago I was coming home on the M7 and hit a near whiteout around Kildare Town.. The gritters hadn't been out yet and the motorway literally disappeared! Very scary stuff in the dark with fast traffic around you - and I don't intimidate easily on the roads!), cancelled/delayed public transport services or flights, and general hassle of getting around in that weather (and I remember 2010 well.. You can be prepared yourself all you want, but for every person like you there will be 10 who aren't).

Again I get that many people like snow and how it makes the place look and feel, but it's not "trolling" to not be looking forward to all this and to hope that the country won't come to a standstill next week.

Unless this thread is just for the fans, maybe a bit of understanding of the above might help the flow a bit better?

No matter what you or I or anyone wishes for the weather will do what the weather wants? We are all but spectators

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

joes girls wrote: »
    OMG is it really only Sunday ..............all this waiting is killing me!
    Maybe it's just me but it seems like there's less activity on this thread since Friday. Perhaps everyone is out stockpiling, or have died of anticipation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

kenmc wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but it seems like there's less activity on this thread since Friday. Perhaps everyone is out stockpiling, or have died of anticipation

Boards is always quieter on the weekend and in this case I think some fatigue has set in.

The tue/wed/thurs have been more or less unchanged in the charts for several days now so today or Monday is really the earliest for Orange/red warnings. Late thur/Friday is still in FI so even though the models are on a rollercoaster there it’s too early for things to have settled

Actually was the 2010 this consistently modelled? This feels like one of the longest consistent run up to an event I’ve ever followed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I understand where you are coming form. But at the end of the day this is a thread about snow mainly filled with snow lovers . Most of the people getting a hard time are the ones who just pop and say "it won't snow" and not backing it up with anything other that " it never snows in ireland" " you lot always get excited over nothing"
    As far as hardship and the rest. No one here can stop what's coming. If Anything threads like this help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I understand where you are coming form. But at the end of the day this is a thread about snow mainly filled with snow lovers . Most of the people getting a hard time are the ones who just pop and say "it won't snow" and not backing it up with anything other that " it never snows in ireland" " you lot always get excited over nothing"
    As far as hardship and the rest. No one here can stop what's coming. If Anything threads like this help.

I second this as I was just about to post the same thing.

Ive been warning customers and handing out our phone number to elderly customers so they can prepare, even if its only to make sure they have plenty of coins to hand for their pay as you go electric or gas meter and in case they need a delivery of 'messages' :D during the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yep, lads posting “You nerds get it wrong all the time, I’ll listen to experts, I’ll be out in my T-Shirt” potentially cause more issues. I myself have a flight out on Thursday and I’m annoyed because even getting to the Airport is going to be a pain, but what can i do? If these threads give me a sense of how bad it can be, then they are useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Is there a chance that someone could do a chart of % possibilities of snow depths from east coast across to west coast. I know some localities will be neck high while others will be crying in their coco.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

My wife has given me a 'final warning' to stop going on about the snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Flying Shannon to Heathrow and back on Tuesday. From following details on the various threads here, I'm not expecting any issue at Shannon, but how is Heathrow likely to be affected, and how well set up are they to deal with snow / frost?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oh I get that there's ultimately nothing we can do about it either way except keep informed, try to prepare, and deal with whatever comes as best we can.

It's just that as I read over the posts it really seemed that any "negativity" was met with multiple accusations of trolling etc. As I said, if this thread is only for the fans then fair enough, but I'm sure there are many reading it who may not post at all and it's just not enjoyable to see that sort of trend - especially giving the potential seriousness of the event.

It kind of goes back to the larger feedback issues that have been discussed lately in AH. I find this particular forum a great resource at times like this and there's very knowledgeable posters giving up their time to keep us informed.. But all I'm saying is a bit of understanding and acceptance that many of us may not be as thrilled with all this would be appreciated too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

hoody wrote: »
    Flying Shannon to Heathrow and back on Tuesday. From following details on the various threads here, I'm not expecting any issue at Shannon, but how is Heathrow likely to be affected, and how well set up are they to deal with snow / frost?

The sun can be bating down the west but if Heathrow is fubar the flight could be cancelled so I wouldn't assume the outward leg will be plain (sky) sailing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement