Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I hope people got a good sleep last night because there could be some late ones ahead. All preparations done, very excited about this hopefully historic event. I think events like this help to ground people. We get reminded that Mother Nature is in charge and hopefully get to spend some quality time with family and helping around the community. Bring it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

My wife has given me a 'final warning' to stop going on about the snow!!

Ditto.

It doesn't help that while I'm warning her about the weather, I'm squinting at her from the glaring sun coming in the window.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

My wife has given me a 'final warning' to stop going on about the snow!!

I was banned from using the word "Beast" on Friday!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Nettle.
    I haven't slept well for the last 3 night. By the end of the week I'll have level 3 snow madness..

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brookers

Yr giving heavy snow in Killiney, lighter snow in Dalkey, lighter snow in Bray but basically snowing from Tuesday evening to Friday at lunch time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

My wife has been using the word “obsessed” each time she sees me reading the forum! I have pointed out that if it wasn’t for this forum we’d have lost our trampoline and bbq in Ophelia which gets some vague murmur of agreement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I was banned from using the word "Beast" on Friday!! :D

My wife reckons it won't happen and too grow up and I be going to work next week, I think she is a bit more peed off with the amount of money I spent stocking up. 😀
    I am surprised at the amount of people that think it going to be like a sloppy western snow fall

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

leahyl wrote: »
    From the met eireann forecast it looks like any snow for the south (ie. Cork ;-)) won’t happen until Thursday...I don’t think I can wait that long!

Im a bit worried it keeps on getting pushed back for Cork , still 4 days so plenty can still change in the meantime.
    Hoping for a couple of snow days for myself and kids to enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Any speculation as to when the warnings will increase? Looking like orange for the east of the country for Wednesday onwards, possibly red. Warnings usually 48hrs in advance but is this the exception when the models have been consistent for so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Any speculation as to when the warnings will increase? Looking like orange for the east of the country for Wednesday onwards, possibly red. Warnings usually 48hrs in advance but is this the exception when the models have been consistent for so long?

Warnings are released normally 24hrs ahead and occasionally 48hrs in bigger events.

I'd expect one either tonight or Monday morning.

• Advertisement

I hope people got a good sleep last night because there could be some late ones ahead. All preparations done, very excited about this hopefully historic event. I think events like this help to ground people. We get reminded that Mother Nature is in charge and hopefully get to spend some quality time with family and helping around the community. Bring it on.

I think you’ll be waiting at least another 3 days , it’s a beautiful day out there , Spring like , so live for the moment , get out and enjoy it !

Can’t believe how many people are wishing the days away just for the country to be brought to a complete stop for a 2/3 day fall of snow! Wishing away beautiful magical days like the last two , having panic attacks that this event could be even slightly less than they have imagined, as though the entire country in March (and Thursday is March) needs to be blanketed in snow and brought to a standstill . There are lambs in all the fields, birds after a winter of sparse enough food already who won’t survive. Lots and lots of hardship for many people particularly farmers (I,m not one) .

A few days of snow and everyone will be complaining and blaming councils, government for the fact that nothing is working . Remember 2010?? You couldn’t get outside your house , you couldn’t get to shops , walk on footpaths , hospitals piling up with people injured in falls , multiple car skids and meant multiple insurance claims and premium increases the next year .

I get that’s people like snow . I get that people are obsessed with weather . I’m taking this seriously too but hoping it doesn’t happen . Bring on Spring , I want to look ahead , not back , it’s been a long enough Winter.

I know I’ll be lambasted as a killjoy but really lads we need some sun.

Enjoy ��

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Personally given Met forecasts there'll be parts of the east in red warnings I think from Tuesday night, through Wednesday and Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I would say we will get the warnings tomorrow morning.

PS has the boards site been going crazy for anyone? It kept on switching to desktop site and some weird new format too. It's ok for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Interesting you mention increase, a lot of people putting weight on the colour of the Advisory when they shouldn’t. ALL advisories are yellow, kinda wish they didn’t use a colour with an Advisory as multiple people have said to me it’s only yellow etc.

Which is why I tweeted the criteria for warnings, based on their current forecast I would expect Red Warnings for Tuesday evening onwards tbh

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/967695945835208705

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

BigMoose wrote: »
    My wife has been using the word “obsessed” each time she sees me reading the forum! I have pointed out that if it wasn’t for this forum we’d have lost our trampoline and bbq in Ophelia which gets some vague murmur of agreement :)

Novice mistake there, pointing out your were right about something previously!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

brookers wrote: »
    Yr giving heavy snow in Killiney, lighter snow in Dalkey, lighter snow in Bray but basically snowing from Tuesday evening to Friday at lunch time...

There is no way YR.NO can know with that fine a resolution where the Snow streamers will hit. In an ENE, anywhere from north Dublin to Arklow is in the firing line. In a slacker wind, that whole stretch could see equal amounts reasonably evenly distributed whereas in a stronger wind the streamers elongate into thinner lines of snow trains which will mean more hit and miss, but there is no way for YR.NO to know that the hit will be Killiney and the misses will be either side at Dalkey and Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JimPa

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ok I've read back and thanks to those for the constructive and informative updates on the situation but I don't get the ganging up on those who aren't as enamoured with the idea of dramatic snow events in the next few days - as I've said previously, I for one hope this event isn't as bad as most here are hoping for.

I get that a lot of people are excited about the prospect, but there are many for whom this will cause nothing but frustration and hardship if it is as severe as predicted - the elderly, homeless, emergency services, hospitals, and even just those who will still be expected to go to work (in my case a commute from Laois to Dublin - thank you rental crisis!) :(

Then there's the inevitable traffic chaos and accidents (I'll give an example. A few weeks ago I was coming home on the M7 and hit a near whiteout around Kildare Town.. The gritters hadn't been out yet and the motorway literally disappeared! Very scary stuff in the dark with fast traffic around you - and I don't intimidate easily on the roads!), cancelled/delayed public transport services or flights, and general hassle of getting around in that weather (and I remember 2010 well.. You can be prepared yourself all you want, but for every person like you there will be 10 who aren't).

Again I get that many people like snow and how it makes the place look and feel, but it's not "trolling" to not be looking forward to all this and to hope that the country won't come to a standstill next week.

Unless this thread is just for the fans, maybe a bit of understanding of the above might help the flow a bit better?

This. From the point of someone who wishes that none of this happens it's strange watching so many people wishing for an event which will cause so much hardship for vulnerable people (and even the not so vulnerable). 'It's out of our hands' seems to be the argument to that. Yes it's out of your hands but you still hope it happens. Which I just don't get.

Hopefully it's not as bad as feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

I think you’ll be waiting at least another 3 days , it’s a beautiful day out there , Spring like , so live for the moment , get out and enjoy it !

Can’t believe how many people are wishing the days away just for the country to be brought to a complete stop for a 2/3 day fall of snow! Wishing away beautiful magical days like the last two , having panic attacks that this event could be even slightly less than they have imagined, as though the entire country in March (and Thursday is March) wants to needs to be blanketed in snow and brought to a standstill . There are lambs in all the fields, birds after a winter of sparse enough food already who won’t survive. Lots and lots of hardship for many people particularly farmers (I,m not one) .

A few days of snow and everyone will be complaining and blaming councils, government for the fact that nothing is working . Remember 2010?? You couldn’t get outside your house , you couldn’t get to shops , walk on footpaths , hospitals piling up with people injured in falls , multiple car skids and meant multiple insurance claims and premium increases the next year .

I get that’s people like snow . I get that people are obsessed with weather . I’m taking this seriously too but hoping it doesn’t happen . Bring on Spring , I want to look ahead , not back , it’s been a long enough Winter.

I know I’ll be lambasted as a killjoy but really lads we need some sun.

Enjoy 😉

Agree 100%. Why would any person with a modicum of common sense lambaste you for not going down the imbecilic road, and stating the obvious ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It's just that as I read over the posts it really seemed that any "negativity" was met with multiple accusations of trolling etc.

One issue has been that there have been a number of persistent trolls, whose main aim has been to cause conflict/chaos and generally de-rail threads, by posting opinions written in a way to goad and/or posting, what would appear to be informed opinions, against the grain (without any form of scientific back up to those opinions).

One in particular poster has had four different names (has re-registered) over the last couple of days. Another particular poster would appear to 'have it in' (seems to have some sort of vendetta) for one particular regular poster.

So, to any casual observer it may appear that 'negative' posts/posters are being treated harshly....however, many are genuine trolls!

Form a moderators point of view, all genuine opinions are always welcome.

You also have to bear in mind that this is a science forum and there is the element of 'what's rare is wonderful'.

Most regulars are fascinated about (and love to see) extreme weather events and their evolution, from a scientific perspective, rather than consequence perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Oh I get that there's ultimately nothing we can do about it either way except keep informed, try to prepare, and deal with whatever comes as best we can.

It's just that as I read over the posts it really seemed that any "negativity" was met with multiple accusations of trolling etc. As I said, if this thread is only for the fans then fair enough, but I'm sure there are many reading it who may not post at all and it's just not enjoyable to see that sort of trend - especially giving the potential seriousness of the event.

It kind of goes back to the larger feedback issues that have been discussed lately in AH. I find this particular forum a great resource at times like this and there's very knowledgeable posters giving up their time to keep us informed.. But all I'm saying is a bit of understanding and acceptance that many of us may not be as thrilled with all this would be appreciated too :)

It's mainly because this is a weather enthusiasts forum. Most people are here because they like watching how these weather events unfold. As you know we can do absolutely nothing about them - they will happen or they won't happen, we just have to deal with them, and that's where these threads come into there own. The amount of detail on the events and the great advice for preparation for such an event in here is amazing.

If people wander into this forum or thread with genuine concerns about travel or preparation, people in here typically are very helpful; but posters who turn up to derail, goad or troll (we've seen people make second accounts just for this purpose!) ... They aren't helping the genuine people who just have no interest in snow or cold, and just want a bit of advice as in how get through it.

Imagine jumping into the gardening forum saying "I hate flowers, I heard they'll all die out soon anyway" or the car enthusiasts forum saying "Cars are stupid, I don't know why you all like them, I prefer walking.." - you wouldn't, so why do it here. :D

People who just don't like the cold and snow; no problem, all opinions welcome - just start a constructive conversation if you still want to, plenty of people love to converse about the weather from all angles - just remember that no one controls the weather, just how we react to it.

Trolls and goaders - easily spotted and not welcome anywhere on boards.ie I'd imagine. (Although there might be a specific forum for that, I haven't checked!) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Lovely spring morning here in Wexford just back from a walk, going to enjoy the nice day that's in it and take the rest of the week as it comes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

JimPa wrote: »
    This. From the point of someone who wishes that none of this happens it's strange watching so many people wishing for an event which will cause so much hardship for vulnerable people (and even the not so vulnerable). 'It's out of our hands' seems to be the argument to that. Yes it's out of your hands but you still hope it happens. Which I just don't get.

Hopefully it's not as bad as feared.

We experience the 'hardship ' too you know , it'll be hard for me to get to work , won't be able to drive anywhere. But I think it's worth it ..there hasn't been lying snow in Dublin in 8 years..we are talking about 2-4 days of snow out of nearly 3000 snowless days and we are evil for this !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Villain wrote: »
    Interesting you mention increase, a lot of people putting weight on the colour of the Advisory when they shouldn’t. ALL advisories are yellow, kinda wish they didn’t use a colour with an Advisory as multiple people have said to me it’s only yellow etc.

Which is why I tweeted the criteria for warnings, based on their current forecast I would expect Red Warnings for Tuesday evening onwards tbh

Oh I know advisories are yellow. That’s why I was speculating as to when the warnings come into play

Edit: I guess ‘change to warnings’ would have been a better description

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Chilly Willy

Cracking day here in the Wicklow mountains, I’m not too far from Laragh. Back from a forest walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Cracking day here in the Wicklow mountains, I’m not too far from Laragh. Back from a forest walk.

Timely Username.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

Latest GFS 06. If it comes off on Friday. 1982 would be a walk in the park. Serious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Wrong, that's only for wind. They'll all probably close under an order, however it's not automatic.

Depends on the type of weather I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Longing wrote: »
    Latest GFS 06. If it comes off on Friday. 1982 would be a walk in the park. Serious stuff.

Yup, it's actually looking worse than yesterday before the minor downgrade.

Still lots of evolution but Friday really could be a whiteout.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

My stages of weather excitement
    1) yeah yeah, heard it all before it's not going to happen.

2) This is starting to look good, but I'm not saying anything to anyone yet.

3) Full on excitement, tells anyone that will listen to me with the overwhelming response that " your mad we are not going to get snow"

4) Giddy excitement, have the kids full on waiting for the snow to come( one of which is waiting to make his first snowman) went shopping to stock up, all set for 3/4/5 days of not leaving the house.

5) Doubt, maybe we are not going to get as much snow as I first thought, we are too near the sea. ( we live on the south east coast) maybe I should not talk about Snow today!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still Stage 3 in our house! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement