Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

GFS 6Z is a stage 4 .
    Starts snowing Tuesday morning and doesn't stop in some eastern parts till Saturday..
    With just about everyone getting in on the fun at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Early in the week “There will be no snow, this will be just like Ophelia!”. Now that it’s looking very like to come to pass “This is going to be awful, why are there people looking foreword to this and so happy?!”.

Seriously, this thread is extremely informative and can be fun. Nobody can do anything about the weather but it’s akin to a group of people making the most out of something that’s going to happen whether we like it or not and some killjoys come to the forum to bring everybody down with nothing constructive that hasn’t already been discussed.

. “Like you know people might die and the country will be badly effected?!” As if the more posters are looking forward to it the worse the weather will get! Worse still, it’s as if they think people don’t know anything about how this weather event might effect the country. Many of us have been reading or talking about this for days, so blow ins coming in with righteous waffle are not really informing or helping in any way.

I’ve warned every person I know since last week and been laughed at and slagged. That’s just the way it is and I get on with it but I take this very seriously. But I don’t need random posters coming on here to lecture me on what might happen when we have much more informed , grounded posters doing a perfectly good job for years. This attitude insinuates that people looking forward to the snow don’t care about the damage that may be caused when the opposite is the case. People take their weather very seriously here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JimPa

wakka12 wrote: »
    We experience the 'hardship ' too you know , it'll be hard for me to get to work , won't be able to drive anywhere.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not here so I'll refrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Something to keep in mind (if there is a thaw on Saturday, I don't trust the GFS) is that there will be a very high Spring tide on Saturday, we really don't want a thaw with that. Come on Snow, hang around! :D

Dublin-Ireland.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lovely spring morning here in Wexford just back from a walk, going to enjoy the nice day that's in it and take the rest of the week as it comes

Same in Dublin. I'm just sorry I didn't bitumen paint my roof this weekend. Last time I'll take advice from this forum:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cold and dry for the North West? If so I'll take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

I have been warning my family for days and they are of the belief that I have lost the plot and am a drama queen.

I hope it snows guys or I am never going to live this down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Already hit where I am. Bit of a non event as its just really cold. Zero ice or snow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Same in Dublin. I'm just sorry I didn't bitumen paint my roof this weekend. Last time I'll take advice from this forum:D

You were told it would be dry!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Already hit where I am. Bit of a non event as its just really cold. Zero ice or snow.

:confused:

Do you live 48/72 hours in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I use yr.no (Hirlam) as my everyday forecast. Here in Galway they are showing 0.7 mm for Wednesday & 1.0 mm for Thursday, of snow. Sunday's forecast is for 2.7 mm of rain.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    You were told it would be dry!

dry....But too cold. It was colder in my fridge :D

Anyways I've 4 days off over Paddys weekend. Probably better suited to it once MT and Joanna can get the weather right. !!

Just to manage expectations....

(Real) cold starts to arrive tomorrow, then, depending where you are in the country, snow showers start to arrive (for the east coast at least) on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Kids are mad excited but screw that, I'm getting some old fertiliser bags at the ready for myself!

....now to pick a hill..
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

:confused:

Do you live 48/72 hours in the future?

No, continental Europe.

dry....But too cold. It was colder in my fridge :D

Generally external painting should not be done when temperature is below (for forecast to be below) 5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

quartz1 wrote: »
    I have been warning my family for days and they are of the belief that I have lost the plot and am a drama queen.

I hope it snows guys or I am never going to live this down.

I need it to snow to justify to the other half the €200 i've just spent on animal feed alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

joes girls wrote: »
    My stages of weather excitement
    1) yeah yeah, heard it all before it's not going to happen.

2) This is starting to look good, but I'm not saying anything to anyone yet.

3) Full on excitement, tells anyone that will listen to me with the overwhelming response that " your mad we are not going to get snow"

4) Giddy excitement, have the kids full on waiting for the snow to come( one of which is waiting to make his first snowman) went shopping to stock up, all set for 3/4/5 days of not leaving the house.

5) Doubt, maybe we are not going to get as much snow as I first thought, we are too near the sea. ( we live on the south east coast) maybe I should not talk about Snow today!

You forgot stage 6 ..... the smug ‘I told you so’ when the doubters of snowmageddon tell you that you were right all along 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

kenmc wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but it seems like there's less activity on this thread since Friday. Perhaps everyone is out stockpiling, or have died of anticipation

Id say there is a bit of this happening too
    giphy.gif

No, continental Europe.

Ahhh....

No snow for you then! :p

Most of northern Europe will only have cold....no snow at all!

For the next couple of days, the UK and Ireland will have snow thanks to the North Sea and Irish Sea/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

No, continental Europe.

Where and what temp is it?
    Be good to get reports in advance of it reachjng us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Ahhh....

No snow for you then! :p

Most of northern Europe will only have cold....no snow at all!

For the next couple of days, the UK and Ireland will have snow thanks to the North Sea and Irish Sea/

Are you not supposed to be the person who stops trolling on here? :rolleyes: :D

dacogawa wrote: »
    Are you not supposed to be the person who stops trolling on here? :rolleyes: :D

Yip....

But that's (scientific) fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

joes girls wrote: »
    My stages of weather excitement
    1) yeah yeah, heard it all before it's not going to happen.

2) This is starting to look good, but I'm not saying anything to anyone yet.

3) Full on excitement, tells anyone that will listen to me with the overwhelming response that " your mad we are not going to get snow"

4) Giddy excitement, have the kids full on waiting for the snow to come( one of which is waiting to make his first snowman) went shopping to stock up, all set for 3/4/5 days of not leaving the house.

5) Doubt, maybe we are not going to get as much snow as I first thought, we are too near the sea. ( we live on the south east coast) maybe I should not talk about Snow today!

Perfectly summed up.

My wife and kids will not listen to me anymore....

km79 wrote: »
    Where and what temp is it?
    Be good to get reports in advance of it reachjng us ?

My in-laws have -7 at the moment with forecasts to hit -20 as the week progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

Not looking forwards to the commute home on bus to Wicklow from UCD on Tuesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

What time is the main RTÉ weather in today I generally don’t watch it Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Cold air making progress across Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

davidsr20 wrote: »
    What time is the main RTÉ weather in today I generally don’t watch it Sundays.

Usually the 6 o’clock or the nine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Shoulda been more specific then and told us it was bitumen 'painting' you were doing. That said, for all I know Bitumen cant be painted below 7 degrees either?

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement