Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

adam240610 wrote: »
    Not looking forwards to the commute home on bus to Wicklow from UCD on Tuesday evening.

The M/N11 should be kept pretty clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

davidsr20 wrote: »
    What time is the main RTÉ weather in today I generally don’t watch it Sundays.

Farming forecast at 1 then 6 and 9 the other main forecasts

davidsr20 wrote: »
    What time is the main RTÉ weather in today I generally don’t watch it Sundays.

Farming weather is usually on at around 13:00, that will be well worth a watch today.

This thread is also very useful.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I would think that it will be the forecast after the 9pm news where the main/big ramp from ME will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Is a major blizzard looking more and more likely now for Friday - potentially rivaling or surpassing 1982?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Is a major blizzard looking more and more likely now for Friday - potentially rivaling or surpassing 1982?

If the low hits us right it would, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yup, still a great deal of uncertainty yet around it though. Although within the reliable range, there's still alot of changing.

Far too early to tell, we should have a better idea by Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Usually the 6 o’clock or the nine

I think we should see the first proper warning going out then judging by the graphic on the Met site

nat02_weather.png?1008

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

As of this morning, possibly, but really need to wait until maybe Wednesday to have a much better idea what might happen on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    If the low hits us right it would, yes.

Wow. 10 feet snow drifts here back then. I know it’s not nailed on but it’s exciting that it could happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I would think that it will be the forecast after the 9pm news where the main/big ramp from ME will happen.
    In all fairness they've been ramping last couple of days. I think the problem is the media have cried wolf so much they have an apathy towards it actually happening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

time to stock up on supplies now before the proles cop on and start videoing fights over the last sled or litre of milk in lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Snow squalls predicted for Thursday and Friday?

So what’s the difference between a blizzard and a squall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Calibos wrote: »
    Shoulda been more specific then and told us it was bitumen 'painting' you were doing. That said, for all I know Bitumen cant be painted below 7 degrees either?

:D
    And next up we have the weather !

In all fairness they've been ramping last couple of days. I think the problem is the media have cried wolf so much they have an apathy towards it actually happening

Agreed, but I would not be surprised if they issue an orange warning this evening, and emphasize the probability of (local) red warnings (to come), so people get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

(Not so) AccuWeather was telling me 1-3cm yesterday, telling me 20-35cm today!

Forecasting 22.9cm here Friday night, would be the best snowfall in my living memory if it occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Faustino wrote: »
    Snow squalls predicted for Thursday and Friday?

So what’s the difference between a blizzard and a squall?
    A snowsquall is localised and usually doesn't last for long.

A blizzard is more widespread and lasts for much longer than a squall.

That's how I understand it anyway.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    (Not so) AccuWeather was telling me 1-3cm yesterday, telling me 20-35cm today!

Forecasting 22.9cm here Friday night, would be the best snowfall in my living memory if it occurred.

What an oddly exact figure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Artane2002 wrote: »
    A snowsquall is localised and usually don't lasts for long.

A blizzard is more widespread and last for much longer than a squall.

That's how I understand it anyway.

Or the term ' blizzard - like ' is used here a lot for a hum drum snow shower with a little wind that lasts for five minutes because people DO get a little excited after years of snow- deprivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

Still giddy with excitement here, spending the day preparing for what might be. Just wanted to give a big shout out to Kermit for starting this thread, and a bigger one to the mods who keep it on track. Especially when the thread is moving very fast at times!! Don't know how you all manage work, sleep, weather and families (not necessarily in that order) - Fair play to ye guys, you know who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

That will be some commute on N81 between Hollywood and Tallaght from Tuesday-Friday,is there anyone here who has a similar journey ahead of them to get to work? Heard stories from 2010 how bad it was then and also some locals near Donard said they had 5 foot drifts in 1982 and were cut of for days. Can't wait personally as Iam quite used to cope with snow as was born near Tatra Mountains and did my driving lessons in December 2001 which was 3 degrees below average in Slovakia,nice memories indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Meanwhile AccuWeather is telling me to expect between 3 and 6 inches of snow between Tuesday and Wednesday here in Dublin 5 which doesn't sound far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

tiegan wrote: »
    Still giddy with excitement here, spending the day preparing for what might be. Just wanted to give a big shout out to Kermit for starting this thread, and a bigger one to the mods who keep it on track. Especially when the thread is moving very fast at times!! Don't know how you all manage work, sleep, weather and families (not necessarily in that order) - Fair play to ye guys, you know who you are.

Are you soft in the head? It's weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

If the Low stays off the south coast Thurs/ Friday. Is the forecast still for streamers for Leinster to continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

That to me would be very conservative.
    Sorry reply for artane2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

bazlers wrote: »
    If the Low stays off the south coast Thurs/ Friday. Is the forecast still for streamers for Leinster to continue?

If you mean just hanging off coast rather than stay completely south and out of the way, then it would be moreso frontal snowfall (like a normal (very) rainy - except snowy! - day you'd get in winter) rather than streamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

bazlers wrote: »

If it's in the right place you won't need streamers!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Portweather

Hi all, Im new to boards.ie For weather temps coming across Europe look for Netatmo weather map. weathermap.netatmo.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

LEIN wrote: »
    What an oddly exact figure :pac:

9 inches in metric.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement