Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We know what 3cm of snow does to Dublin city.....imagine even if there was 15cm.....never mind if we get the big one and hit 30cm, it would be total shutdown...

Only thing on our side is March so if there is a lull in the snow, temps by sat during the day could hit 3/4C briefly allowing a brief thaw but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It does sound conservative for my location but showers are hit and miss so I wouldn't be surprised if they verified. As I said yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if i got between 40 and 60cm of snow during this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Artane2002 wrote: »
    It does sound conservative for my location but showers are hit and miss so I wouldn't be surprised if they verified. As I said yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if i got between 40 and 60cm of snow during this event.

Relax a little there:pac::pac: That would be a once in 200yr event. Very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Wow. 10 feet snow drifts here back then. I know it’s not nailed on but it’s exciting that it could happen again.

Its frightening that it could happen again. '82 was a very serious event for a lot of people and caused a lot of hardship. While Ireland is a far more modern and organized country in 2018, it will still fail to cope adequately with a snow of that magnitude. Part of me would like to see it again, while part of me (the sane part) does not want to see it happening.

I guess there are a lot of posters here who didn't experience '82. Well let me tell you folks, if its repeated on a similar scale, you'll be telling your grand kids about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RiceCrispy

Big thank you to everyone providing charts and information! very excited here getting ready. Looks like there will be roaring fires, snowy scenes and maybe power outages accross the country this week. Im predicting a baby boom in December!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Met Éireann removed advisory from website. Warning on way I'd say, new advisory at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Total novice here and sorry if its a stupid question but if the front coming our way from the south on Friday turns out to be rain on the south coast at sea level, what elevation in land would we have to worry about for it to turn to snow given the fact that the land will be extremely cold? I presume every extra say 100m elevation and distance inland in this case would mean it would be very very hard for Met Éireann to actually forecast if the models are 50:50?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Is Mayo / Connacht likely to see any snowfall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Met Éireann removed advisory from website. Warning on way I'd say, new advisory at least.

I'm excited.

Relax a little there:pac::pac: That would be a once in 200yr event. Very unlikely.

Yes, I agree it is extremely unlikely but I'm trying to say that I wouldn't be surprised. Also, this includes the possible frontal event at the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm excited.

Me too!

yew_tree wrote: »
    Is Mayo / Connacht likely to see any snowfall?

Inland south east Connaught most at risk,but snow showers could pop up anywhere through the province as the week progresses,could be widespread heavy snowfall Thursday nite/Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Sparks wrote: »
    9 inches in metric.

That makes perfect sense :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Joanna Donnelly’s recent tweet even she’s worried
    https://twitter.com/joannadonnellyl/status/967706604656300032

Update met Éireann

Weather Advisory for Ireland
    Update on previous Advisory.
    Exceptionally cold weather will occur this week. Air and ground temperatures will be 5 to 10 degrees below normal, with significant wind chill and penetrating severe frosts. Snow showers, mainly affecting eastern areas on Tuesday, will progressively become more widespread and heavier through midweek, with significant and disruptive accumulations.
    Please also consult winterready.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Is a major blizzard looking more and more likely now for Friday - potentially rivaling or surpassing 1982?

JSVRaDK.jpg

This image kind of shows how uncertain the potential for a snow storm or just cold rain on Thur/Fri is at the moment. Anymore north and a snowy start turns into rain; a little more south would give us better potential with more favourable upper temperatures for snow, but too much to the south and the snow misses us altogether.

Still uncertain, but next two days of chart runs should iron it out better.

Joanna Donnelly’s recent tweet even she’s worried
    https://twitter.com/joannadonnellyl/status/967706604656300032

OMG -10 in my area,west mayo.

Mayo always does the extreme temperatures very well. :)

Wow that latest advisory is very good for snow lovers! They have two of the same advisory up by accident lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Update met reann

Weather Advisory for Ireland
    Update on previous Advisory.
    Exceptionally cold weather will occur this week. Air and ground temperatures will be 5 to 10 degrees below normal, with significant wind chill and penetrating severe frosts. Snow showers, mainly affecting eastern areas on Tuesday, will progressively become more widespread and heavier through midweek, with significant and disruptive accumulations.
    Please also consult winterready.ie.

That sounds like a...

300x220-ramp.gif

:pac::pac::pac:

Never knew Joanna was from the Deep South.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

I’m so confused, today is the warmest temps I have seen for weeks, almost 10 degrees

MissMoc wrote: »
    I’m so confused, today is the warmest temps I have seen for weeks, almost 10 degrees
    Was last week not mild for you? It was mild here and felt very mild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Periscal wrote: »
    That will be some commute on N81 between Hollywood and Tallaght from Tuesday-Friday,is there anyone here who has a similar journey ahead of them to get to work? Heard stories from 2010 how bad it was then and also some locals near Donard said they had 5 foot drifts in 1982 and were cut of for days. Can't wait personally as Iam quite used to cope with snow as was born near Tatra Mountains and did my driving lessons in December 2001 which was 3 degrees below average in Slovakia,nice memories indeed :)

My wife is from Mikulas! We were over winter 2016/17 and there was very little snow around strebske pleso:(
    It's -7 at the moment with a lot worse to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I've done six washes since I arrived back from holidays yesterday and all have dried on the line or clothes horses out the back. Jeans and chinos dried in 2 hours this morning and it's 4 degrees out.

Usually it would take a day to dry a pair of socks in that weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

DOCARCH wrote: »
    :confused:

Do you live 48/72 hours in the future?

That's post of the day there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

It's going to be the worst snowfall since 1982 here is dublin back then
    IMAG10970_zpsceh0awwt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

So good they said it twice ;)

442801.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think Met Eireann might need to consider dropping colour from the advisories in future. The media can’t seem to grasp the difference!

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/967722290132803584

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Villain wrote: »
    I think Met Eireann might need to consider dropping colour from the advisories in future. The media can’t seem to grasp the difference!

Even RTE were running a story saying they've a yellow warning!

• Advertisement

Remember when Peter Griffin was secretly a teenage girl,giddy,lying on bed,twirling his feet in the air,with a mobile....yeah that's me now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement