Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It will be interesting to see Thursday/Friday unfold. These are the deepest snow depths at some stations around Ireland courtesy of Met Éireann since the 1950s.

tepXg9Z.png

https://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/SnowfallAnal.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

What’s with all the Joanna this week where’s all our other weather presenters ? Does the older women not do weather any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Expect the first few light showers of snow on the east coast tomorrow afternoon. Based on current charts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Remember when Peter Griffin was secretly a teenage girl,giddy,lying on bed,twirling his feet in the air,with a mobile....yeah that's me now.

Snow madness has started :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

tiegan wrote: »
    Still giddy with excitement here, spending the day preparing for what might be. Just wanted to give a big shout out to Kermit for starting this thread, and a bigger one to the mods who keep it on track. Especially when the thread is moving very fast at times!! Don't know how you all manage work, sleep, weather and families (not necessarily in that order) - Fair play to ye guys, you know who you are.
    Are you soft in the head? It's weather.

Mod Note
    An unnecessary response TheAnalyst, particularly as this is a forum for Weather enthusiasts.
    Play nicely please!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see Thursday/Friday unfold. These are the deepest snow depths at some stations around Ireland courtesy of Met Éireann since the 1950s.

I really thought a few of them would be higher like Kilkenny and Shannon, will be very interesting to see them at the end of the week if things pan out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Bit of rain first on Tuesday predicted... doubt it will stick after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Reserved a snow shovel in argos until monday. See what weather looks like mon morning before committing to the 6eur spend!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

tepXg9Z.png

2 inches is the heaviest snowfall in Shannon for 50 years. Seems very slight

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

MissMoc wrote: »
    I’m so confused, today is the warmest temps I have seen for weeks, almost 10 degrees
    Calm before the storm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Bit of rain first on Tuesday predicted... doubt it will stick after that.

20th Dec 2010....... Started out as rain and the ground was saturated, turned to snow at about 10.30 and by 4pm the road to access where I live was closed off by the Gardai so I couldn't get home due to the snow .........

This week will be a very busy and fascinating one .........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

tepXg9Z.png

They could do with renaming that PDF. Just sayin’

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gluppers

m17 wrote: »
    It's going to be the worst snowfall since 1982 here is dublin back then
    IMAG10970_zpsceh0awwt.jpg

Stop getting people's hopes up. I reckon we're in for a few showers

Dodge wrote: »
    Ha ha just clocked that #bottomsup

gluppers wrote: »
    A good few heavy showers

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

tepXg9Z.png

I reckon Shannon's record will be broken :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It’s good to manage expectations, you will get a nice surprise then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    A good few heavy showers

^^^ you need to remember this won't be "a few showers". Many reasons imply this because A: for (Dublin anyway) it won't be a crappy westerly bringing wet snow showers that are halfway gonna die out, these will be constant snow showers forming in th east getting heavier and more persistent due to lake effect snow, also all the factors out into it this time make it something memorable like the 2 SSW, AO and NAO index winds gone into negative, the strong easterly we already have too. Don't underestimate this time just because the last few weren't good. Remember, every winter is different!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

What forecast are you looking at there's going to be a blast of snow on the east coast and the Midlands can't wait to see all the brilliant pics over the next week

• Advertisement

Vxlks wrote: »
    ^^^ you need to remember this won't be "a few showers". Many reasons imply this because A: for (Dublin anyway) it won't be a crappy westerly bringing wet snow showers that are halfway gonna die out, these will be constant snow showers forming in th east getting heavier and more persistent due to lake effect snow, also all the factors out into it this time make it something memorable like the 2 SSW, AO and NAO index winds gone into negative, the strong easterly we already have too. Don't underestimate this time just because the last few weren't good. Remember, every winter is different!
    I was being sarcastic bud

I have always wondered about the odd name in the URL :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

My wife is from Mikulas! We were over winter 2016/17 and there was very little snow around strebske pleso:(
    It's -7 at the moment with a lot worse to come.

That is a surprise not seing much snow around Strbske Pleso in winter, you must have been there very early in the season, January was very cold in 2017 in fact some stations recorded coldest mean temp. since 1987, I come from the other side of the valley then Mikulas, about 40km south of Poprad, near village called Stratena, which is recognized locally as the coldest place in central Europe with mean annual temperature around +6 degrees, it is in narrow valley shaded from the sunlight by steep dolomite like hills and at altitude of 900m.asl, unfortunately it is now nearly deserted,as life is too hard to cope, heating on for 10 months of the year and no gas network around,just electricity and tons of hardwood :)

24991441_1521041244599726_2421321527484123884_n.jpg?oh=026b2072581711add05f804813118ad2&oe=5B477F00

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

I reckon Shannon's record will be broken :P

I reckon Casement will be the winner again this week

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

These snow depth records would be laughable in lots of other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

tepXg9Z.png

Hard to believe Shannon only 6cm. And malin so exposed on the coast i thought it would be less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

You just won the internet for today and it's not even lunchtime.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Appears correct though, while they would have had many 'dustings' , nothing significant since 78'. Must be some shield there. Also, all of those records set from the fifties to eighties. Nothing for the last thirty plus years.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Don't want to be one of those 'downgrade so'ers but I'm slowly loosing hope after investing a 4/5 days in this! Just want to see some snow. Prepped and everything. North Cork, near Mallow. :(

• Advertisement

Hard to believe Shannon only 6cm. And malin so exposed on the coast i thought it would be less

Here's the synoptics for those days.

19 January 1958 (Malin Head's snow depth record)

archives-1958-1-19-12-0.png

11 February 1978 (Shannon Airport's snow depth record)

archives-1978-2-11-12-0.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement