Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

daheff wrote: »
    Reserved a snow shovel in argos until monday. See what weather looks like mon morning before committing to the 6eur spend!! :)

For anyone who is intending to purchase a snow shovel, there was a mention of a guy on done deal selling Hecht branded ones for €8 each, less if buying multiples of them. He's based in Kilcock. I bought one and it's excellent quality. Just mentioning it as I'm sure a good few people would not be too far from Kilcock. PM me if you are interested and I can send on the link as I think it would be against the rules to post publicly. Mods, this post is merely to highlight a good quality product at an excellent price. I've no connection with the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Appears correct though, while they would have had many 'dustings' , nothing significant since 78'. Must be some shield there. Also, all of those records set from the fifties to eighties. Nothing for the last thirty plus years.
    seems very low ,I Remember at least 15cm about 4 miles from the airport at drumline approx 1984/85 , it was a localised phenomenon as there was none in limerick at the time or it had melted , shannon airport is very low there at the estuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

So is it time to start prepping in terms of torches, bottled water etc? Apartment based in Merrion so won't need snow shovel. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Awww jeeeez, there's 15 people viewing the motors thread , I'll never get any thumbs up or thanks!? sake...
    I know I'll view and post some banter in the weather thread, I'm bond to get my thumbs up hit for the day. Shir who would be on there probably about 5 people yipppeeeee...... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Calmness everybody. In the vacuum provided by this sneakily glorious but bitterly cold day in Wicklow, there will be doubters and people who believe that saying something makes it true. This will be an epic week but until it all kicks off.....
    Tips to survive the next few days.
    1. Develop a sixth sense to let your eyes glide over the "it's all gone tits up" posts without even seeing them.
    2. Avoid any line of sight that includes lampposts, partic after dark, until Monday night. Failure to do this will result in advanced neck twitch.
    3. Stay out of Tech discussion thread unless you have strong drink on board and to hand. (Should be an 18+ rating on that thread)
    4. If you do venture into the tech thread, post nothing because it is a matter of certainty that you know nothing compared to almost everyone in there and will only look like a tool if you blurt something out.
    5. Stop talking about snow to friends and family. Ifg they're not already looking at this thread on their own heads be it.
    6. Take up a hobby, basket-weaving or sprocket tooling.
    7. Buy a few more tins of stuff.
    8. Calculate how long it would take to shovel 50cm of snow from the driveway with the spanky new red-trimmed, wide, shovel thing that you bought in Woodies.
    9. Goto Youtube and look at videos on how you connect a generator to an oil burner if you really had to (bad plan).
    10. Type lists like this to kill some more time...................................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    I was being sarcastic bud

**sigggghhh* sorry I'm so stupid,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Awww jeeeez, there's 15 people viewing the motors thread , I'll never get any thumbs up or thanks!? sake...
    I know I'll view and post some banter in the weather thread, I'm bond to get my thumbs up hit for the day. Shir who would be on there probably about 5 people yipppeeeee...... :P

Oh dear God my head hurts after reading that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So when is the most likely for snow? I heard tonight and Tuesday. Me confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I pity the fool that can't read and follow a simple forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Where are you located? (Would help for a start)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It's Tuesday Evening onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

"Most likely" .. wed through to fri for south and east/midlands especially and possibly over the weekend but that is currently too far out to predict if we'll see snowmaggedon or "schleet".

6z is holding on to cold option with additional snow but charts will chop and change between now and friday. Keep an eye on the technical thread. MT Cranium has very good daily forecasts in another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

dacogawa wrote: »
    I really thought a few of them would be higher like Kilkenny and Shannon, will be very interesting to see them at the end of the week if things pan out.

Kilkenny city is the low ground in county Kilkenny about 90 meters asl surrounded by hills that go to around 300 meters.
    The hills can get a lot of snow and the city could get just cold rain or sleet - not saying this week. Like in 2010, the March 31st gave blizzards on the hills and deep snow and in Kilkenny city they had nothing.
    In 1947 the hills had the snow for a long time after it had gone in Kilkenny, when it melted it flooded Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Don't want to be one of those 'downgrade so'ers but I'm slowly loosing hope after investing a 4/5 days in this! Just want to see some snow. Prepped and everything. North Cork, near Mallow. :(

I think ye will avoid the worst of it in your area. You might see some snow but nothing too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

brookers wrote: »
    The amount of people who dont even know that snow is coming...

I know a few they have heard the weather forecast etc they don’t believe it “won’t be that bad” and “will all change by time it happens” seems to o be the attitude of them fair enough I said

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sjb25 wrote: »
    I know a few they have heard the weather forecast etc they don’t believe it “won’t be that bad” and “will all change by time it happens” seems to o be the attitude of them fair enough I said

"We never get snow" is all I've heard over the past few days.

We never get these forecasts either soooo

In 2010 we got a few cm, nothing major, and it seems to have completely been lost on many people's minds. They could be well surprised by Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

sjb25 wrote: »

So... What you saying? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Our 5 year old has a much anticipated hospital appointment in Temple St on Tue afternoon. Drive home to Tipp afterwards.
    Motorway should be okay if the snow arrives Tue eve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

JCX BXC wrote: »
    "We never get snow" is all I've heard over the past few days.

We never get these forecasts either soooo

In 2010 we got a few cm, nothing major, and it seems to have completely been lost on many people's minds. They could be well surprised by Friday!

How do you think we'll fare out in the Banner County ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What's a penetrating frost?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

irishgeo wrote: »

Goes below the surface into the ground, Great forecast by Pat Clarke

I live near Mallow but work in Cork City. Do I need to worry? Which part would be worst hit I know it can't be said with certainty yet but I need to start planning ahead. Thanks.

Even if we do not get snow will most areas get ice?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I think ye will avoid the worst of it in your area. You might see some snow but nothing too bad.

You mean the best of it.....I think i'm going to cry

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

irishgeo wrote: »

Lie down outside on Wednesday night and stick your arse up in the air and you'll find out what a penetrating frost is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

HIRMAL going with a bit of percip coming in over Dublin tomorrow afternoon, if that comes off Monday rush hour should be fun but at least it would be an early warning for some people

hirlamuk-1-33-0.png?25-10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Farming weather on now. Within the first minute Joanna says orange and possible red warning, and that THIS IS HAPPENING. She's even going through the warnings and what they mean

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Will someone please think of the children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

That's some ramp from Joanna on the Farmers forecast! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

Lumi wrote: »
    Mod Note
    An unnecessary response TheAnalyst, particularly as this is a forum for Weather enthusiasts.
    Play nicely please!
    Thanks

Thanks, but I took it in the spirit in which it was written!! I realised when I wrote it that of course "weather" took precedence over all else, even for me a mere amateur!! Point was I wanted to thank the MODS who are playing a blinder. Cheers LUMI

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement