Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

davidsr20 wrote: »
    :(

The main band of snow is set to fall on Thursday through to friday. Could end up being freezing rain as the air above snowfields will be lower in temps. All depends on the evolution of the models

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wow that was some forecast. Graphics explaining the warnings. Saying this is happening and on screen even a line saying stock up on essentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

The main band of snow is set to fall on Thursday through to friday. Could end up being freezing rain as the air above snowfields will be lower in temps. All depends on the evolution of the models

The roads will be like ice if we get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Great forecast from Joanna��

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

It's the calm before the storm here.

I have windows open here in the house to let some air in.

Certainly won't be doing the same this time tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Still cloudy in West Clare, the odd sunny spell, hoping it clears soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How do you think we'll fare out in the Banner County ????

Daytime highs 3 or 4, overnight lows -1 or -2, some frost depending on breeze, mostly dry with a few flurries, possibility of significant snow towards next weekend, though this is marginal and could fall as rain particularly in west Munster. Stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy and 5 degrees in cork city, winds coming from the southeast though and are cold enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

joes girls wrote: »
    Great forecast from Joanna��

But did we get a wink for the boardsies ;)

I missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is a dazzlingly beautiful sunny day here in Dublin now.

Hard to believe what's coming down the tracks......:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Anyone know how long it takes to go up on RTE player?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Daytime highs 3 or 4, overnight lows -1 or -2, some frost depending on breeze, mostly dry with a few flurries, possibility of significant snow towards next weekend, though this is marginal and could fall as rain particularly in west Munster. Stay tuned.

Knock a good 4c off those daytime temperatures for Wednesday/Thursday, and a good 5 or 6 for nighttime temperatures.

an hour or two usually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

"Sheepishly reappears"

Now looks like major winter event with heavy snowfall through to next weekend.

Now I need to change a load of stuff. Feck you snow :)

But once I implement plan B, I intend to enjoy it - nice 50m slope in my back garden - and I saw a "pre-election" (public meeting bs) FF poster nearby - hopefully no-one else has stolen it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Usually within the hour.

sjb25 wrote: »
    But did we get a wink for the boardsies ;)

I missed it

No she didnt do the wink last night either, this must be her serious i mean business face!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Larbre34 wrote: »

It should be much colder than that in Clare from Tuesday night to Thursday.
    This is not our usual polar maritime setup. The winds in Clare will be coming off a cold land, with snow cover upwind, and exceptionally low dew points entrained in the flow.
    Overnight lows should easily drop below -1C

What detail did she give about the warnings, I missed it thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

What detail did she give about the warnings, I missed it thanks?

Wasn’t any different to last nights weather really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Delta2113

BBC weather had a technical fault after the news and some female announcer just read out forecast for today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Villain wrote:
    I think Met Eireann might need to consider dropping colour from the advisories in future. The media can’t seem to grasp the difference!

I actually think the new system has caused so many people to be sceptical of the warnings.

There's a yellow warning every week so people are just starting to ignore them.

Maybe the bar is set too low for a yellow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Wasn’t any different to last nights weather really.

Joanna has stopped winking.

We need a way for Joanna to communicate with us Boardsies. Some keyword she can use to show that she monitors this forum.

Can anyone think of an odd word or phrase she can use in upcoming weather bulletins to give us a sign???

Edit: Maybe the word "ramp"! Joanna, please use the word ramp at 6 or 9.

Joanna has stopped winking.

We need a way for Joanna to communicate with us Boardsies. Some keyword she can use to show that she monitors this forum.

Can anyone think of an odd word or phrase she can use in upcoming weather bulletins to give us a sign???

'theres no downgrade!' might work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Will have to see the next rollout of the GFS and ECM to see where we stand. Any shift to the south or East and I'll be confident that we'll see snow through all of Thursday to saturday. As long as the low stays relatively near Ireland of course

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pilly wrote: »
    I actually think the new system has caused so many people to be sceptical of the warnings.

There's a yellow warning every week so people are just starting to ignore them.

Maybe the bar is set too low for a yellow?

In fairness, yellow just means be aware. Don't need to do anything for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Delta2113 wrote: »
    BBC weather had a technical fault after the news and some female announcer just read out forecast for today.

The cold has already got into the system :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Excluding the Friday event, I think that an accumulation 8-10cm is realistic in extreme coastal locations (like Howth, Dalkey etc..), 10-15cm 5 km inland and 15 to 25cm 10-15km from the coast. Showers being driven well in land. Not even thinking about the Friday LP.

Emergency task force to meet in the morning, i hope this time if they give a red warning they will give better guidelines. During Ophelia's red warning people were still afraid to not go to work.
    Red Warning you should stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭squarecircles

she said it !!!

[IMG][/img]1yo1g3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's like a summer morning in Dublin at the moment. Rugby training earlier was balmy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement