Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

Joanna has stopped winking.

We need a way for Joanna to communicate with us Boardsies. Some keyword she can use to show that she monitors this forum.

Can anyone think of an odd word or phrase she can use in upcoming weather bulletins to give us a sign???

Edit: Maybe the word "ramp"! Joanna, please use the word ramp at 6 or 9.

Th cat game from super troopers lets see how many can be got into a forecast

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1rlSjdnAKY4

:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Anyone interested in other models, FIM is rolling out now and its also trending a more southerly track for the low, favourable uppers until 4th for most of the country following on also.
    442810.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

joes girls wrote: »
    Emergency task force to meet in the morning, i hope this time if they give a red warning they will give better guidelines. During Ophelia's red warning people were still afraid to not go to work.
    Red Warning you should stay at home.

Could walk to work where possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

sryanbruen wrote:
    In fairness, yellow just means be aware. Don't need to do anything for it.

Yeah I know, I get that but when there's one every week and it means nothing but the usual weather then people start to ignore even the orange.

The amount of people who have said to me "ah it's ridiculous, they've warnings every week"

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

It is a dazzlingly beautiful sunny day here in Dublin now.

Hard to believe what's coming down the tracks......:eek:

Something like this I would imagine

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

Oh yeah cause that will go well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_a2mawvf-5o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I understand where you are coming form. But at the end of the day this is a thread about snow mainly filled with snow lovers . Most of the people getting a hard time are the ones who just pop and say "it won't snow" and not backing it up with anything other that " it never snows in ireland" " you lot always get excited over nothing"
    As far as hardship and the rest. No one here can stop what's coming. If Anything threads like this help.
    ‘Mainly filled’ is the key phrase, of course. I’ll be thrilled to see not one single solitary flake of snow, because, yeah, while it’s pretty to look at and it’s a rare occurrence here yada yada....it’s also a pain in the hole when you need your day gotten on with. If I want snow it’s only a cheap Ryanair flight away. At home though, I like my roads clear.

I follow the thread as it’s excellent from an information POV. I just skip over most of the giddykid posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

patneve2 wrote: »
    Excluding the Friday event, I think that an accumulation 8-10cm is realistic in extreme coastal locations (like Howth, Dalkey etc..), 10-15cm 5 km inland and 15 to 25cm 10-15km from the coast. Showers being driven well in land. Not even thinking about the Friday LP.
    What snowfall amounts 60km from east coast ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

sjb25 wrote: »
    Oh yeah cause that will go well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_a2mawvf-5o

This is his back story

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukp1dwISkT4

He's had a tough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

pilly wrote: »
    Yeah I know, I get that but when there's one every week and it means nothing but the usual weather then people start to ignore even the orange.

The amount of people who have said to me "ah it's ridiculous, they've warnings every week"

Give them this handy guide:

1. Is my location included?
    2. If so:
    Yellow = keep it on your radar
    Orange = be ready to take action
    Red = email your employer so they know you’ll be taking them to court if they kick up about your absence. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

But what's the point in the warnings if people don't take heed of them, like really if you don't make it to your office is it really going to shut down the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

cyclops999 wrote: »
    What snowfall amounts 60km from east coast ?

Hard to tell. Would say significant falls are possible far in land and showers on wednesday could even remain intact well over 100 km inland. Find yourself in the path of the precip and you could even get 15cm, find yourself on the side and you could get 5cm. Please don't take this prediction as gospel as it could be inaccurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I find it so hard to work out the forecasts as I live on the borders of Tipp/Cork/Limerick and drive in all of them every day.

I could have not a flake of snow here and hit dangerous roads in ten minutes.

So whilst I love a bit of a snow I hate the stress of trying to figure out if it's safe to go somewhere or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Something like this I would imagine

giphy.gif

Boardsies hopping on the snow train :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Who wants aboard a hype train! Specifically a Norway hype train (live)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Regarding the lunchtime farming forecast,there’s only one thing I have to say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Ok I was caught in a train of thought and could be derailing the topic. Time to get back on track. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

So Tuesday evening and Thursday evening looking like a country event?

6hrprecip.png

6hrprecip.png

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

I'm guilty of "Snonanism"
    - compulsively looking at weather forum
    - furiously w***ing on about the risk of snow until I've worn myself out

In all seriousness it's so warm and mild in Dublin it's difficult to imagine heavy snow like 1982 is possible. Thanks for all the expert views on here

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Regarding the lunchtime farming forecast,there’s only one thing I have to say :D

And the winner is :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Snow fall for Wednesday 28/02/18 by metcheck
    IMAG10977_zpsqabbiuvs.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just looking at the shortening shadow on the back lawn I'm struck that we're about to be robbed of some possibly lovely early spring weather. Thrust back into winter when the shed is casting a shadow of only about 3 meters is just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

German radar giving us a sneak peak at what is likely to occur here starting Tuesday evening. Moderate to heavy snow showers slamming into the coast and travelling far inland on an ENE wind. All of this is occurring in N Germany with very high pressure, 850s at about -15 and sea surface temps a good bit cooler than the Irish Sea. Also, important to note that the GFS progged very light precip over N Germany, showing us that its quite rubbish at predicting convection.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/radar?CONT=euro&CREG=dwddg

Webcam from Rostock port.

http://www.rostock-port.de/en/livecam/webcam.html

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

patneve2 wrote: »
    Excluding the Friday event, I think that an accumulation 8-10cm is realistic in extreme coastal locations (like Howth, Dalkey etc..), 10-15cm 5 km inland and 15 to 25cm 10-15km from the coast. Showers being driven well in land. Not even thinking about the Friday LP.

Snow fall amounts yes, but the cynical coastal dweller that I am does not expect that much accumulation, at least not at sea level on the extreme coastal fringes.

I'm in Balbriggan, and even the intense cold easterly of February 1991 saw a lot of the snow melt or evaporate away during the day.
    In December 2010 a slow thaw would set in whenever the breeze picked up from the east. The snow survived in 2010 because we had a light breeze blowing off the land most of the time, and the sun was at its weakest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A forecast for the ages there by Joanne
    20180225_141337.jpg
    image uploading sites

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Pangea wrote: »
    A forecast for the ages there by Joanne

image uploading sites

Once that possible school closures means for us in cork city too we will be very happy! Hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

An absolutely beautiful day here in Courtown, if I didn't know better, I would be out cutting the grass like the other ejjits in the estate..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What stuck out from the farming forecast for me was that it showed northern half of the country under precipitation for most of Wednesday and Thursday aswell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement