Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Snow fall amounts yes, but the cynical coastal dweller that I am does not expect that much accumulation, at least not at sea level on the extreme coastal fringes.

I'm in Balbriggan, and even the intense cold easterly of February 1991 saw a lot of the snow melt or evaporate away during the day.
    In December 2010 a slow thaw would set in whenever the breeze picked up from the east. The snow survived in 2010 because we had a light breeze blowing off the land most of the time, and the sun was at its weakest.

There will be zero marginality Tuesday eve to Thursday eve (too early to call Friday's event). Even if there was a 200 k/h wind from the east it wouldnt be marginal. Subzero right on the coast. Further, looks like skies will stay cloudy for Wed and Thurs so I can't really see any significant thaws materializing. My prediction of higher totals in land is down to the moderate/strong wind that will push the showers well in land (slowing and dumping their loads with more ease as they move in land). Orographic lift will also provide extra bonus inches of snow to the hilly areas of S. Dublin & Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

hairyslug wrote: »
    An absolutely beautiful day here in Courtown, if I didn't know better, I would be out cutting the grass like the other ejjits in the estate..

Same as that !
    One of the neighbors did and he runs a Garden centre
    Sometimes I wonder about people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

km79 wrote: »
    Same as that !

I just seen a lad power washing his wall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Same as that !

I know, it's ridiculous. Do they not know that when any snow that does happen to fall thaws it will reveal 6 foot of grass and will need to be mowed again?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

Working in Stockholm today and the pressure has been 1040, it’s currently -7 and there has been some moderate snow showers here also. On the way up here as we passed Hamburg it was snowing lightly with more moderate showers forecast for later!

• Advertisement

I know, it's ridiculous. Do they not know that when any snow that does happen to fall thaws it will reveal 6 foot of grass and will need to be mowed again?

I’d be more worried about the severe frost damage potential

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I’d be more worried about the severe frost damage potential

Yep it’s the frost damage that will be the issue especially on fresh cut grass .
    6ft of growth?! Nah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The current weather in Dublin would lull you into an awful false sense of security if it wasn't for the broacast news / weather & the likes of boards.

6.5 degrees in Swords a while ago, felt much warmer with the sun beaming down. Even had the windows rolled down while in some slow traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Stock up on snow? Just in case there isn’t enough of the real thing? :eek:

Very serious forecast in all fairness! Good to see Met Éireann hammering home the scale of this cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Stock up on snow? Just in case there isn’t enough of the real thing? :eek:

Very serious forecast in all fairness! Good to see Met Éireann hammering home the scale of this cold spell.

An edited screenshot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Meanwhile my dogs today are blissfully unaware :)

d2261b75ad10d2a368d6e0299412a2bd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

On my phone here - anyone got the link to the farming forecast please?

What’s wrong with her head in that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

fritzelly wrote: »
    An edited screenshot

Ah right, sorry thought it was a pleasing typo. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Meanwhile my dogs today are blissfully unaware :)

d2261b75ad10d2a368d6e0299412a2bd.jpg

Mine has been glued to the boards thread for the last week! :D
    442813.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

gozunda wrote: »
    On my phone here - anyone got the link to the farming forecast please?

Not up yet.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

What’s wrong with her head in that ?

Was just about to ask the same thing, looks like one of them bobble head dolls

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Interesting

Is it any wonder these guys dont tweet as much as they might normally do, he is tweeting out important info, some people will probably see that tweet and start to take next week more seriously - and the first tweet back is some swarmy clown with nonesense comments about his chauffeur driven car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

It'll be an interesting day Sunday next, due to climb Carrauntoohil with a few friends. Looks like we'll have to break out the alpine gear and plan on the possibility of staying overnight..

(I've got the right gear, and the right mentality, and if it looks to be an arduous trip, we'll postpone, but anything up to maybe 50cm of snow is fine for the climb based on previous experience)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Is it any wonder these guys dont tweet as much as they might normally do, he is tweeting out important info, some people will probably see that tweet and start to take next week more seriously - and the first tweet back is some swarmy clown with nonesense comments about his chauffeur driven car!!

Typical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Anyone have a link to today's farming forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭jirafa

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/farming-weather-3260/10843827/

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

NVM.... link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

beautiful sunny afternoon springlike walk in the Phoenix park , crocuses and daffodils in full bloom .....poor bastards have no idea what's coming

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

Why is ukmo, ecm and the rest give far less detail than gfs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Glorious day in Sligo ...the wind would saw the ears right off your head though

442815.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Beautiful day in Derry too. Clear blue skies, sunshine, relatively mild.

Of course once it gets dark, that'll change!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Hopefully this will be the last snows of spring. I'm getting sick of feeling cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

MJohnston wrote: »
    13344730_10154303256537941_150587289863688158_n.jpg?oh=4f9840d6a9ec22f73a8520bba49eddf3&oe=5B0AD712

That is one hell of a downgrade :)

Dropbox is great for both archiving and hosting images.
    I'm pretty sure you can host with the 2gb free account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement