Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co Galway 25/02/18 it's 8℃IMAG3063_zpsf8hj5flk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

stuck under a cloudy grey sky here in cork :( wouldn't mind some sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Fabulous day in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Why is ukmo, ecm and the rest give far less detail than gfs?

They don't necessarily give less detail, it's more about what detail is available on the various websites. The GFS parameters are just generally more freely available.

This site for example has great detail from the ECM runs.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/ireland/temperature-f/20180225-1800z.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I was heading to Wales for a few days break next week. I was undecided on whether to cancel it or not, but I have just done so. Better safe than sorry I guess.

I am off for the week so I am going to stock up on nice things to eat and hopefully build a snow army. I live in a rural part of Kildare down a private road looked after only by the landlord. Chances are I will be snowed in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Humidity down to 39%

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pad199207 wrote: »
    Humidity down to 39%

Seems a bit low?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Humidity down to 39%

Is that bad?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

RH 72% here near Tralee, great drying in the brisk SE'ly, can walk in my garden first time proper in months without squelching.

44% Casement last report

humi_uk_nzu1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

sjb25 wrote: »
    I just seen a lad power washing his wall :)

That could have been me 😞 Lidl have their €99 power washers on sale at the moment, picked one up yesterday thanks to the Bargain Alert as thread. I've done my car, doorstep, and path this morning, I figure if I held off the gods would make sure the snow missed me. Besides, I had to check it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Humidity down to 39%
    JCX BXC wrote: »
    Seems a bit low?
    Is that bad?

I am at 40% on the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    ironic there is Heed warning and her Heed is huge

Was thinking the same, her head looks abnormally large in that photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

m17 wrote: »
    Snow fall for Wednesday 28/02/18 by metcheck
    IMAG10977_zpsqabbiuvs.jpeg

So much for my hopes of Waterford and the south east getting snow :(
    The model seems to have veered ENE or was I reading the previous models wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Beautiful spring day here in Carlow town, view out the window of the town park, a lot of people I guess unaware of the impending weather or maybe lulled into a sense of false security with the marvellous sunshine! :-)

Been following the FI thread closely since last week watching this develop, seems like it's been the longest week ever, even wishing the weekend would hurry on!! Looking forward to it...

30rkuwj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

It's been mentioned many times, disregard those snow charts, they're pretty hopeless, you'll know what happens when it happens, keep the faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Snow is so hard to predict so keep the faith :). To be honest I reckon we will see the white stuff here in Waterford, certainly as the week goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    It's been mentioned many times, disregard those snow charts, they're pretty hopeless, you'll know what happens when it happens, keep the faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

LEIN wrote: »
    I am at 40% on the east coast.

Fair enough, Dublin airport reporting 60% (was higher).

I've 68% and finally glorious sunshine finally in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Would west (Galway) be ok for Tuesday getting around and about? Cancelling Friday appointments but dunno if Tuesday is ok?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hoping for no snow or ice down here in Cork (wishful thinking I know) , couldn't be dealing with frozen pipes and all that .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

gozunda wrote: »
    On my phone here - anyone got the link to the farming forecast please?

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/farming-weather-3260/10843827/?ap=1

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

From the fawning over the celebrity amature weather men, to sneering at people doing normal things today, to "stocking up" and buying snow shovels like your going to be snowed in for months on end, talk about wildly blowing all things out of proportion.

It's been flagged in the media for several days about the potential and anybody who is bothered to look at the relevant charts and forcasts could see the potential, so no, by following this thread you are not "in the know and everyone else in the country is stupid".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

doylefe wrote: »
    From the fawning over the celebrity amature weather men, to sneering at people doing normal things today, to "stocking up" and buying snow shovels like your going to be snowed in for months on end, talk about wildly blowing all things out of proportion.

It's been flagged in the media for several days about the potential and anybody who is bothered to look at the relevant charts and forcasts could see the potential, so no, by following this thread you are not "in the know and everyone else in the country is stupid".

[mod snip]

Its all part of the roller-coaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

GFS for Tuesday evening, quite a bit of snow in that (do take with a pinch of salt)

gfs-2-54.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Guys, I've been avidly following this thread & am anticipating next week with equal amounts of glee & apprehension. My family are howling in derision at me & pointing to clear blue skies & bright sunshine. Should I fight my corner & direct them here to this thread, or should I adopt a smug air of 'Ye're all going to be sorry' & keep shtum?

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Guys, I've been avidly following this thread & am anticipating next week with equal amounts of glee & apprehension. My family are howling in derision at me & pointing to clear blue skies & bright sunshine. Should I fight my corner & direct them here to this thread, or should I adopt a smug air of 'Ye're all going to be sorry' & keep shtum?

Leave them be, they'll have what's coming to them.

So what can we expect in Galway City, decent levels of snow and a red warning a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Foggy Jew wrote: »

The eternal dilemma mate. I know those feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Beautiful spring day here in Carlow town, view out the window of the town park, a lot of people I guess unaware of the impending weather or maybe lulled into a sense of false security with the marvellous sunshine! :-)

Been following the FI thread closely since last week watching this develop, seems like it's been the longest week ever, even wishing the weekend would hurry on!! Looking forward to it...

I can see my house in that pic lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I must say its very exciting seeing these sort of charts this close to the time frame. definitely a rare event it seems

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement