Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

giphy.gif

People walking to work next week

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

I still believe that low will be located further south into south west uk

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

longshanks wrote: »
    What is the chance of a red alert weather warning being issued?

With the task force meeting in the morning
    , I can't see any warnings tonight. But I can't wait to see what Joanna has to say later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

high in the 2nd half of the week

That would be unlikely to be countrywide though. Just for certain counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

harr wrote: »
    Anyone noticed the birds feeding like mad today...I normally have a few every evening at my bird feeder but over the weekend they have been non stop and I have had to fill both feeders twice...something I normally would do once a week.
    Do birds like certain animals have a sense of bad weather approaching ?

I saw the same today, first day in a long time - robins, sparrows, wood pigeons and magpies all in the garden at the same time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Watched it last night as it’s on Netflix now. Now looking for something else snowy to watch ��

Runaway Train. 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

That would be unlikely to be countrywide though. Just for certain counties.

most likely southern and eastern counties, Dublin and Cork, the two most populous areas in the republic could get plastered in snow so it would be required i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Updated the forecast in the OP.

After reading your update, I really think I need to stock up more on my stockpile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

GFS accumulated precipitation from now until Friday afternoon. These charts from what I've learned are not the most accurate but just for kicks and giggles let's apply some basic maths.

Anything that falls is very likely to be snow and very unlikely to melt before then.

Multiply by somewhere between 10x and 40x for snow. Probably closer to 25x early in the week and 15x on Friday.

If we go for average 10x for Dublin, there could be 28mm x 10 = 28cm lying snow by Friday.

If we were more optimistic (or pessimistic) and said 28mm x 20 = 56cm.

In wicklow above 250m maybe double it in drifts. 1.1 metres. :eek:

126-777UK.GIF?25-12

Have a feeling 12z Ecm will have the low of friday night further south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The first incursion of cold air will be arriving overnight.

Temperatures will fall to -2c or -3c with a sharp frost, tomorrow they will range 2 - 4c.

tempresult_hrb4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

YanSno wrote: »
    Have a feeling 12z Ecm will have the low of friday night further south

Which means what please?

Some of us are neanderthals when it comes to the technical stuff. We are just selfishly interested in whether the incoming event will happen in our areas or not. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

sdanseo wrote: »
    GFS accumulated precipitation from now until Friday afternoon. These charts from what I've learned are not the most accurate but just for kicks and giggles let's apply some basic maths.

Anything that falls is very likely to be snow and very unlikely to melt before then.

Multiply by somewhere between 10x and 40x for snow. Probably closer to 25x early in the week and 15x on Friday.

If we go for average 10x for Dublin, there could be 28mm x 10 = 28cm lying snow by Friday.

126-777UK.GIF?25-12

Screenshot_20180225-172618.jpg

Which means what please?

Some of us are neanderthals when it comes to the technical stuff. We are just selfishly interested in whether the incoming event will happen in our areas or not. ;)

Would mean it would stay colder for longer, but with less in the way of organised snowfall.

Note less in this context might mean 20cm instead of 50-60cm at sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

My timing sucks with taking holidays. I had the day booked off when Ophelia hit. Everyone got sent home at 11 that day. Now I'm on my hols the blizzard of the century is forecast ! I have a day off on Weds 14th March. I'm offering odds of 15-1 on a tornado. 30-1 on an earthquake. And if you're feeling lucky, 100-1 on a shower of frogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DaleB

sryanbruen wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

I agree, from Waterford and very skeptical of snow at this stage. Been excited all week, done the extra supply shoppin, bought heaps of coal and logs but i think it'll just be used for the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

DaleB wrote: »
    I agree, from Waterford and very skeptical of snow at this stage. Been excited all week, done the extra supply shoppin, bought heaps of coal and logs but i think it'll just be used for the cold.

have you been reading the thread? Even us Corkonians are expecting our shield to go away, thats not usual :p

Which means what please?

It will keep us in a North easterly flow with snow on the east, south east with a threat of heavy snow along the south coast

DaleB wrote: »

I would be pretty shocked at this stage if the south coast didn't see some lying snow this week. You guys have the widest range of probability from something like 5cm up to a couple of feet depending on what evolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DaleB

have you been reading the thread? Even us Corkonians are expecting our shield to go away, thats not usual :p

I really really hope your right! Can i continue my scare mongering so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Not accurate charts as you said but everything up to Thursday evening should be close to the 40x multiplier than 10x, I would say 20-30x. Immense amounts possible under heavy streamers before the frontal event.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Incoming..

NetWeather radar showing snow showers coming in off the North Sea just off Aberdeen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

How I feel right now. So excited lads.

38dcc4ffc8a3d7e565984c97805a1283.jpg

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Not accurate charts as you said but everything up to Thursday evening should be close to the 40x multiplier than 10x, I would say 20-30x. Immense amounts possible under heavy streamers before the frontal event.

If that's the case, those who don't like snow may wish to look away now.

40mm x 25x = 1 metre.
    50mm x 25x = 1.25m
    At sea level. :eek::eek::eek:

2874b0ff6003b8ac154d7b39600892ae.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

It is really ramping up regarding the warnings.
    Do we actually expect it to be that bad? And if so what do people think the potential impacts will be, seeing as the whole country shut down form Storm Ophelia?

Also what is the potential for Dublin airport to be shut down Wednesday/Thursday?

It is really ramping up regarding the warnings.
    Do we actually expect it to be that bad? And if so what do people think the potential impacts will be, seeing as the whole country shut down form Storm Ophelia?

Also what is the potential for Dublin airport to be shut down Wednesday/Thursday?

Dublin Airport is absolutely goosed from Wednesday through to the weekend if even half the projected snowfall occurs.

There's not much other way to put it. They just can't clear that much fast enough.

Usual caveat applies! Streamers are impossible to forecast and the heavier stuff at the end of the week could still all turn to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

If that's the case, those who don't like snow may wish to look away now.

40mm x 25x = 1 metre.
    50mm x 25x = 1.25m
    At sea level. :eek::eek::eek:

Unfortunately it isn't as good as it seems. The bottom says accumulated precip over the past 15 days, which includes the rain we had last week. I'm sure there's going to be lots of precip though! Maybe closer to 25mm? I don't think we've had much in the way of rain here in the east coast this month so far, it's been very sunny though.

EDIT: Nevermind, that says for the next 15 days starting today.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it isn't as good as it seems. The bottom says accumulated precip over the past 15 days, which includes the rain we had last week. I'm sure there's going to be lots of precip though! Maybe closer to 25mm? I don't think we've had much in the way of rain here in the east coast this month so far, it's been very sunny though.

No, the 15 days refers to the total length of the forecast run.
    The accumulated precip is from the init time (today 12Z) until Friday 15Z

Edit: times are actually in CST but above times are still correct as Z is CST+6hrs

671590428435fcf2fa326b587b436339.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The ASL forecast on RTE now says there'll be disruptive snow countrywide on Thursday with Sub zero temperatures during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tzardine wrote: »
    When we were kids we used to put down water on one of junctions in the estate on cold nights so we could slide down the road (the old concrete ones). Used to be great craic watching the cars slide around it.

Lol if I saw kids doing it now I would burst them.

There's a hill in Bunclody up past the primary school. One of the locals told me that during the last snow the kids living in the estates along the road would run to 'help' drivers stuck on the hill. By help,they meant spin the cars around and watch them slide back down the hill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement