Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Juventus match postponed due to snow storm
    https://www.facebook.com/btsport/videos/1897081313698395/

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Quite a nice rosy haze on the horizon looking east in Dublin atm. :) Everything looks so calm, hard to believe what might be coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Arpege shows the snow shower activity off the Irish sea ramping up Tuesday evening. Bare in mind these are hourly timestamps.

tempresult_gvd3.gif[img][/img]

tenor.gif?itemid=4243762

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

STATUS YELLOW

Low Temperature Warning for Ireland
    Lowest temperature of -3 Celsius expected overnight tonight.

Issued:Sunday 25 February 2018 16:00
    Valid:Monday 26 February 2018 01:00 to Monday 26 February 2018 09:00

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The ASL forecast on RTE now says there'll be disruptive snow countrywide on Thursday with Sub zero temperatures during the day.

What's ASL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

What's ASL?

sign language forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The weather has been beautiful here in the northwest, hard to believe the forecast. It's the first week since late September I can walk around the fields without wearing wellies. If what is predicted comes will most of it stay away from the northwest? We have had enough snow now, the East and South can have this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

What's ASL?

Age/Sex/location

Ahhhhh irc chat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

What's ASL?

Can also mean above sea level

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Pangea wrote: »
    Juventus match postponed due to snow storm
    https://www.facebook.com/btsport/videos/1897081313698395/

Saving themselves for the mighty Spurs match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Syran, I think you're overplaying the chance of floods. I can't see any rapid increase in temperatures forecast and it's not like we're not used to 30mm of rain in one go. Not great for the already soaked land in the west (which would have tried somewhat in the last week), however floods are really the least of your worries here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 thereisacar

Question from an eejit who can't read weather charts: 1) what's the chances of the snow sticking & 2) what's the chances of school cancelation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Question from an eejit who can't read weather charts: 1) what's the chances of the snow sticking & 2) what's the chances of school cancelation?

1) 99.9% 2) 99.9%

Edit: On 2, once a red alert is issued, which is highly likely, all school and Universities will be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

You will get an answer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Syran, I think you're overplaying the chance of floods. I can't see any rapid increase in temperatures forecast and it's not like we're not used to 30mm of rain in one go. Not great for the already soaked land in the west (which would have tried somewhat in the last week), however floods are really the least of your worries here.

Honestly if we apply the same maths as with the snow, the chances of floods if the models from today verified are pretty high. There could be a metre of snow melting over less than 24hrs on Saturday plus all the rain from the weekend on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

sign language forecast

You're thinking of American Sign Language. Here we'd have ISL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Cold coming in more quickly on the ECM run now

ECM0-72.GIF?25-0

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

Hard to believe that such extreme weather is imminent on a beautiful evening like this. Gorgeous sunset here a few miles North East of Tuam. Really looking forward to next week. Stay safe all.

Surprised nobody mentioned this :
    Thursday: Bitterly cold on Thursday with scattered snow showers. Highest temperatures ranging from -1 to +2 degrees, in strong east to northeast winds. A more persistent spell of snow is expected to move up from the south during Thursday night, with significant accumulations in many areas. Fresh to strong easterly winds will lead to drifting in places.

Friday: Early indications are for further falls of snow for a time on Friday, but clearer conditions, with scattered snow showers, will extend gradually from the south. Temperatures not quite as low as on Wednesday and Thursday, but still very cold.

No mention of anything other than snow! Just a bitter and severe winter storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

You're thinking of American Sign Language. Here we'd have ISL.

well yeah but thats what was on the tv :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

LEIN wrote: »
    You will get an answer here.

Apologies, I gave an answer. I've 2 tabs open (probably like everyone else) and thought I was in the general chat thread :o

DaithiMa wrote: »
    Hard to believe that such extreme weather is imminent on a beautiful evening like this. Gorgeous sunset here a few miles North East of Tuam. Really looking forward to next week. Stay safe all.

The haze in the evening does remind me of 2010, bit eerie to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

A Lovely haze In the sky here in north Dublin . You can see in the image a burst pipe with water draining on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A high of 6.6c at mine today and down to 2.2c already and what a sunset!

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/967824024540778498

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

RustyGate wrote: »
    If 1982 volumes fall on Dublin suburbs, particularly if it drifts, a lot of estate dwellers are going to need to know someone with a JCB. Then, there will be others whose cars have become stuck on roads at the start of the snowfall where the road and stuck cars on it will be completely entombed until the thaw (as was the case in lower parts of Rathfarnham in 1982)

Luckily in 2010 one of my neighbours (...in Rathfarnham...) did have acces to a JCB and cleared the roads in the estate. He dumped all the snow in a pile in a green space at the end of one of the roads....pile was still there to the start of February 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Fantastic pictures guys!

Thanks very much for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

PWW5bRk.png

minions.jpg?itok=GQsHXI2h

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

It’s a beautiful evening here in Waterford with a lovely sunset. You’d never expect what’s coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

flanzer wrote: »
    1) 99.9% 2) 99.9%

Edit: On 2, once a red alert is issued, which is highly likely, all school and Universities will be closed

Not always, depends on Minister. Buses won't run on red alert but counties with no red warning would be open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

TheDriver wrote: »
    Not always, depends on Minister. Buses won't run on red alert but counties with no red warning would be open

So buses with no red alert would still be off?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement