Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Latest ecm looks to be showing a serious event for southern ireland again, this is dangerous I think if it happens.

ECU1-120_zjj1.GIF

(for those that dont check the technical thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

And so it begins... streamers brewing off the coast of Scotland

442846.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

pjohnson wrote: »
    So buses with no red alert would still be off?

Buses don't run on red alert. Schools could still be open e.g. Boarding schools or walking or using normal public transport unless minister orders closure e.g. Ophelia

what are we talking about here geeks, give it to me straight, is it or isn't it an event?? in the same way ophelia was?? can I get excited about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Edit: wrong thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Limerick had a glorious day.

If you were looking out a window, you'd think you were in the South of France.

But then you realise you are in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Beautiful day in Bray today and you'd swear it was a Summers day be the amount of people out on the Prom, the number of cars, traffic jam on the Strand Road and not a parking space to be found with cars parked on yellow lines back as far as the Sidmonton Road and Mainstreet. Either people know this is the last chance to get out for a while or people are blissfully unaware as to whats coming. I reckon its the later. I just did a huge shop in Tesco's. Enough to feed we 6 adults in the Family home for about 8 or 9 days. We are only 5 minutes walk from Bray Dunnes and Tesco Express. Its not fear of getting there to shop during the week, its to get some decent grub in for the week before the Panic buying starts on Tuesday and the shelves empty of anything decent. Talking to a few people in Tesco's who commented on my overloaded Trolley and tbh everyone is blissfully unaware and think this is another case of the recent NW snow showers that never made it over to the East. Even though I explained that this was different I still got skeptical eyes raised to heaven. Some people are going to be stuck with Rice Krispies for Dinner by next weekend :D while I'll be dining on Sirloin Steak, Gravy Roasts, Stews, Italian Sausage Penne, Batter Cod, 1/2 Pound Burgers and then retiring to a roaring Log, Coal and Briquette Fire, going for a walk with my Snow Crampons on my feet or maybe even for a drive to survey the devastation with my Snowsock equipped car ;):D

I'm ready for the Epic Snow of 2018!! Are You??!!?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ECM delivering serious snow by Friday AM, before sending us a deep low of 970mb with a snow by mid morning retreating to north of a Dublin to Galway line and all rain nationwide by afternoon.

11bc19da9348e5403544fdfb5c471e4f.png

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

Meanwhile my dogs today are blissfully unaware :)

d2261b75ad10d2a368d6e0299412a2bd.jpg

lovely dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I was discussing the snow in 1947 with my dad earlier,he was 6 yrs old at the time and says he remembers coming down stairs one morning and the house was very dark because the snow had drifted up against the windows..he says the snow stayed on the ground for weeks..no running water or electricity back then and they had to walk a few miles to get spuds,turnips and bacon from relatives that had a farm and happened to be the nearest neighbours..we should be OK considering what we've got nowadays lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Vicious ECM from a snow and wind perspective

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/ireland/significant-weather/20180302-0000z.html

Earlier than other models. Later Thursday and Friday. The snow clears Friday morning.

Met eireann forecast after the 6/1 news going for all snow on Thursday ending showers fri

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Feeling pretty envious here looking at the potential snow for the east coast. Im here in Donegal and it looks like we will get a slight dusting at best. Maybe potential on Friday if it doesn't turn to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Adelynn Spicy Flower

Is there a chance public transport could be disrupted by Tuesday evening? I really don't want to get trapped in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Heres costa del Sandymount today. Glorius but the wind wud knock the booolox outa ye!! Wonder what it will be like Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

In summary,I’d expect from tonight’s 12z ECM to have my shed roof blown off but only into the 30ft drifts beside it but perhaps waiting and waiting for the snow to stop before trying to retrieve it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sdanseo wrote: »
    ECM delivering serious snow by Friday AM, before sending us a deep low of 970mb with a snow by mid morning retreating to north of a Dublin to Galway line and all rain nationwide by afternoon.

11bc19da9348e5403544fdfb5c471e4f.png

The front clears before there is chance of rain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Was really hoping the rain wouldn't come so quickly after the snow....was hoping we would get the weekend playing in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

aisling86 wrote: »
    Was really hoping the rain wouldn't come so quickly after the snow....was hoping we would get the weekend playing in it!

I think you need to read the above again Aisling , the front moves through so quick it produces very little rain . You will be playing in snow drifts if that comes off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think Kermit answered that one for you!

The front clears before there is chance of rain ;)

Will the rapid temp rise not melt everything in sight pretty rapidly? How long does it take 50cm of snow to thaw at 3/4 degrees? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

after the slight warmth ECM seems to have everything get cold again, which looks good to me things are starting to work themselves out. This is still next friday though, everything could change :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

If that's the case, those who don't like snow may wish to look away now.

40mm x 25x = 1 metre.
    50mm x 25x = 1.25m
    At sea level. :eek::eek::eek:

2874b0ff6003b8ac154d7b39600892ae.png

I'm late to the party. So is 30 cm expected in Dublin and when?

Is it supposed to snow in Dublin on Monday? Tuesday? This has probably been answered a dozen times but the thread is huge. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

I think you need to read the above again Aisling , the front moves through so quick it produces very little rain . You will be playing in snow drifts if that comes off

I think Kermit answered that one for you!

Apologies, think I need to calm down...too much excitement!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Chrongen wrote: »

Is it supposed to snow in Dublin on Monday? Tuesday? This has probably been answered a dozen times but the thread is huge. Sorry.

Nothing more than the odd flurry tomorrow, action will really begin from midday onwards on Tuesday.

Chrongen wrote: »

Kermit has handled those questions pretty well in his update, check first post it was edited a couple of hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

On a very serious note !! I’m due to fly into Dublin on Friday afternoon. Really important I get home . Does anyone think the airport will be effected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Will the rapid temp rise not melt everything in sight pretty rapidly? How long does it take 50cm of snow to thaw at 3/4 degrees? :pac:

2cm per day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Apologies, think I need to calm down...too much excitement!

I'm just catching up myself now after the day. We were having a family day and I had virtually no reception where I was to check what's happening. Torture!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

So from what I can gather from the days we're certain will have snow (in Dublin), Thursday is likely to be the worst? I've some important things on in work on Wednesday that I can't really afford to skip, I live walking distance from my workplace though so I should be able to make it in ok. I've also stuff I'd like to do Thursday but can live with missing it if the weather is too severe to walk in!

Wait a minute. Is there a possibilities that the weather will be so bad that one can't walk in it? I understand driving being a big problem but is a blizzard predicted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Sleet

Mod Note

As it says in the OP and Forum Announcement
    This is a busy thread and as a result the Mod Team will be taking a zero Tolerance approach to trolling.
    Can’t say you weren’t warned

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement