Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Where was left out?!

Cork wasn’t left out🙂 well worth a watch if anyone hasn’t seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'm reading that as you were wearing stilettos whilst playing football.

Heck. ..I know I'm wrong, but I have a picture in my head and its funny.

Edit - in the picture in my head it has just started snowing.

Christ I wouldn't be safe there wearing that footwear. Its a sausagefest there at the best of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

BBC not holding back with weather warning.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43190440
    Bitterly cold temperatures and deep snow are forecast across the UK this week as weather blows in from Russia.
    A wind chill will mean that during the day it will feel like -10C to -15C.
    Yellow and amber weather warnings for snow are in place for Monday and Tuesday, covering southern and eastern England before extending to cover the Midlands and Scotland.
    Wednesday and Thursday's yellow warnings will also cover Cornwall, Scotland and Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

UK Met office - Sunday evening forecast 25/02/18

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Does mike65 still post on here?he was very good at interpreting the different models outputs, though seemed to have had a bias view towards the snowy and cold weather outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

dacogawa wrote: »
    Cold coming in more quickly on the ECM run now

-20 [mod snip]

Just had a text from a mate in Amsterdam. It's -8 there now. Looks like they will be skating on the frozen canals next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Chrongen wrote: »
    -20 me!

Just had a text from a mate in Amsterdam. It's -8 there now. Looks like they will be skating on the frozen canals next week.

Those are upper air temps mate :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Snowc wrote: »
    Does mike65 still post on here?he was very good at interpreting the different models outputs, though seemed to have had a bias view towards the snowy and cold weather outcomes.

Nah, I think you must be thinking some someone else, he hated snow and ice. Preferring the Costa del Deise to be warm and sunny all year :);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

With such an unstable flow off the Irish Sea.....cant wait to hear reports of THUNDER SNOW. The Sky over the east coast will be that red colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭coffee to go

yorlum11 wrote: »
    Country file forecast is nice. Snow widespread as the week goes on. Thursday/Friday event obviously not nailed could be a whiteout.

Grab of this:

IMG_20180225_192650.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Boo. In north Kildare and could be a touch too far inland for the early stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Those are upper air temps mate :P.
    Amsterdam. They have their ways of accessing the .... *ahem* "higher planes"...

Straight from the coffee shop to to skate the sky canals!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

So what do we think the road conditions in Dublin will be on Tuesday Wednesday etc? Should I be looking to work from home etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Pentecost

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    So what do we think the road conditions in Dublin will be on Tuesday Wednesday etc? Should I be looking to work from home etc

Based on everything that’s been said I would plan to work from home if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I’m excited but what’s annoying now is we’re getting the best dump of snow Thursday night and Friday morning which is great but then it’s possible to turn to rain Friday after noon so will all wash away. We won’t get any time to enjoy the best part of it or am i wrong

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

One of my reasons for visiting these threads recently is to learn about meteorology and forecasting.

Here's a nice article relating to interpreting charts for snow:

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/how-to-forecast-snow

Anybody with some good learning resources, please let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I’m excited but what’s annoying now is we’re getting the best dump of snow Thursday night and Friday morning which is great but then it’s possible to turn to rain Friday after noon so will all wash away. We won’t get any time to enjoy the best part of it or am i wrong
    Obviously it'd be really nice to have the snow around when we aren't working at the weekend but still better than nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    One of my reasons for visiting these threads recently is to learn about meteorology and forecasting.

Here's a nice article relating to interpreting charts for snow:

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/how-to-forecast-snow

Anybody with some good learning resources, please let me know!

You'll find tons of useful links in this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056531638

This is Su Campu's guide to interpreting Winter charts:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056447334

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Best locations for snow Tuesday to Thursday east and south east . Friday is far from nailed at the moment it’s an all snow event

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That's what I'm worrying about too :(

Still, met say nothing about a thaw, just slightly lower temps.

Hopefully, we get enough of the low for heavy snowfall, but not enough for rain before the cold air reloads from the north!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

I thought there was an upgrade for the midlands - did I get that wrong?
    Best locations for snow Tuesday to Thursday east and south east . Friday is far from nailed at the moment it’s an all snow event

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

121ky.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

Forgive me for going off topic for a minute but can somebody help me out with some jargon?!

What is lamppost watching?
    And why are some runs called a 'pub run'?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Just wondering when can we expect the first of the snowfall to hit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

schmittel wrote: »
    Forgive me for going off topic for a minute but can somebody help me out with some jargon?!

Thanks!

Lampost watching for snow in the dark. Best position means you are inside and warm waiting for the white gold.

Pub run I stand to be corrected on, but I believe its because the parameters for that model run are slightly different to other runs which can result in some slightly crazy charts

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Monday is when we will see the first snow flurries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Thanks!

Lamppost watching is literally watching lampposts to see if snow is falling, the pub run is the 18z GFS (comes out around 21:30), somewhat notorious for being more extreme than other runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Thanks!

Even light snow looks heavy and visible under the light of a lamppost at nighttime

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement