Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

So is rain forecast Friday? Snow gone in east by weekend?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

Thanks guys, and the expression pub run I guess then is because it's like the drink talking if it is a bit unreliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I’m excited but what’s annoying now is we’re getting the best dump of snow Thursday night and Friday morning which is great but then it’s possible to turn to rain Friday after noon so will all wash away. We won’t get any time to enjoy the best part of it or am i wrong

Current model output says it won't turn to Rain except over the extreme southern coast of England. ie. certainly at the moment its looking like a 1987 or even a 1982 level frontal snow dumping......on top of whatever the east coast got from Tuesday to Thursday with the Lake effect snow from the Irish Sea. This might even mean that I have my fill of snow for the rest of my life!! This could be legendary and be something you tell your grandkids about.....or the low pressure system could miss us entirely and we 'only' get 2010 level snow. Its not looking like turning to rain over us going on current model output though.

schmittel wrote: »
    Thanks guys, and the expression pub run I guess then is because it's like the drink talking if it is a bit unreliable?

Yes, it rolls at 9:30 so at night and we joke that it went to the pub and had a bit too much on the drinking; if it produces the crazy, far out there charts it is notorious for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

No it will be snow

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Nope.

Thanks Sryanbruen, I trust your knowledge more than my phone i googled Dundrum and sandyford 5 day weather and shows rain in afternoon next fri

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Thanks Sryanbruen, I trust your knowledge more than my phone i googled Dundrum and sandyford 5 day weather and shows rain in afternoon next fri
    These apps aren't exactly reliable, so you're better off listening to MÉ or MT's forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Calibos wrote: »
    Current model output says it won't turn to Rain except over the extreme southern coast of England. ie. certainly at the moment its looking like a 1987 or even a 1982 level frontal snow dumping......on top of whatever the east coast got from Tuesday to Thursday with the Lake effect snow from the Irish Sea. This might even mean that I have my fill of snow for the rest of my life!! This could be legendary and be something you tell your grandkids about.....or it could miss us entirely and we 'only' get 2010 level now. Its not looking like turning to rain over us going on current model output though.

Thanks for clearing that up cal

Calibos wrote: »
    Current model output says it won't turn to Rain except over the extreme southern coast of England. ie. certainly at the moment its looking like a 1987 or even a 1982 level frontal snow dumping......on top of whatever the east coast got from Tuesday to Thursday with the Lake effect snow from the Irish Sea. This might even mean that I have my fill of snow for the rest of my life!! This could be legendary and be something you tell your grandkids about.....or it could miss us entirely and we 'only' get 2010 level now. Its not looking like turning to rain over us going on current model output though.

Even if we got 2010 could be epic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 prettyboybaker

Bssed in Swords and live in fear of the dreaded isle of man shadow !!

Any of the weather gurus here wanna take a stab at predicting the line of its anti snow glare ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭squarecircles

My god wouldn't it be hilarious if the snow failed and everyone is left with stockpiles of food,snow tampons?grapons? Snow chains and dish washer salt.

With that driping sound outside.

Only kidding,blizzard Armageddon on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

My god wouldn't it be hilarious if the snow failed and everyone is left with stockpiles of food,snow tampons?grapons? Snow chains and dish washer salt.
    Yes and no... Would be funny to see reactions but I don't want to miss out on an epic event!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭glightning

It's actually called the pub run because it's executed with less data (as the 0z and 12z have the most comprehensive set of initialisation data) and therefore can produce less accurate outcomes (or differ somewhat from the 0z and 12z runs). The same goes for the 6z run. Both tend to be less accurate due to less initialisation data (initialisation data is the set of current observations fed into the model when it is run). The 18z is only nicknamed the 'pub run' as it comes out in the late evening. However both the 6z and 18z both have the same issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Joanna, if you are watching (and we know you are ;)), please please please use the word ramp in your forecasts this evening.

You know you want to. Ok chat later...

I missed the 6 News. Did Joanna mention the word 'ramp'? I am thinking not.

Don't let us down at 9 Joanna. Give us a sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Nothing more than the odd flurry tomorrow, action will really begin from midday onwards on Tuesday.

Cheers snowstorm445,

I live in Dub City centre and work in Mulhuddart and commute via public transport. So Monday should be ok to get to and from work but Tuesday getting home I could be scotched...would that be fair to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's a bit chilly in cork this sunday is evening. The dog was left out in the back and that was his lot. He didn't seem arsed about not going for a walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Will someone remind me to turn the heating on in work tomorrow for 24/7 operations.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Kermit has handled those questions pretty well in his update, check first post it was edited a couple of hours ago.

Thank you.

I didn't realise that the first post was being updated.

• Advertisement

Sky clear as a bell in Dublin with a bright gibbous Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

With that driping sound outside.

Only kidding,blizzard Armageddon on the way.
    You mean Snowmageddon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭circadian

Chrongen wrote: »
    Cheers snowstorm445,

I live in Dub City centre and work in Mulhuddart and commute via public transport. So Monday should be ok to get to and from work but Tuesday getting home I could be scotched...would that be fair to say?

I thought 2 days a week WFH was standard enough in IBM.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

I missed the 6 News. Did Joanna mention the word 'ramp'? I am thinking not.

Don't let us down at 9 Joanna. Give us a sign!

No but she did say she is looking forward to her Nettle Soup when the spring does eventually arrive..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

It's TESCO, not TESCO'S.

You think the shop is owned by Mr. and Mrs. Tesco?

Must run across and get some beer at Spar's.

And you won't be eating any of that shit when your power goes out :pac:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YPIsTKpAoE4

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thank you.

I didn't realise that the first post was being updated.

Yes, just to say to everyone the OP is being updated daily each afternoon to reflect the current modelling of the situation as we have it.

Cheers.

Not everywhere. In Cork all we have had since Friday has been grey skies and a biting wind.

That IS glorious for Cork :p

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

When it's snows I will ask my boss if he wants to come outside and make some snow angels with me

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Have a 20 min cycle commute to work in Dublin city, from the sounds of things I should be ok tomorrow but could be in trouble Tuesday / Wednesday??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well it looks like we are set for quite the cold spell :D:D:D

This forum gets extremely busy during these weather events and for the most parts the thread are really enjoyable and you will garner lots of knowledge.

Although before you start posting we would like to summarise a few house rules here :
    1. During weather events we take zero tolerance approach to trolling or bickering. Cards, warnings and/or bans from the forum will be handed out as appropriate. It gets so busy that this is the only option we have.
    2. Please don't quote images or charts in your replies.
    3. If you feel someone is trying to cause trouble, please use the Report Post function and let the Mod Team deal with it. Don't respond/react on-thread and further derail it.
    4. PLEASE don't repeatedly ask will it snow in your backyard - read the thread.
    5. If you post pictures that are not your own from Facebook or Twitter, you must follow these guidelines:
    • All Images taken from Twitter must always be embedded using the URL as in this example https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...postcount=1039
    • You cannot copy and paste images from Twitter and post them on Boards.ie.
    • With Facebook, you need the creator's permission to copy an image belonging to them and post it on Boards.ie.
    • You must also credit the creator of the image if you do get permission

There are a few threads in operation for this event

PLEASE FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH THE FORUM RULES IN THIS LINK

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056531690

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement