Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That picture will be absolutely historic if it verifies.

Still 100hrs away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

75% chance of 55cm snow for Dublin? Am I reading that correctly?

So your telling me I have 100% chance at 40cm the most snow...I dont think we're reading it right:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

75% chance of 55cm snow for Dublin? Am I reading that correctly?

Can somebody answer this?
    Seems important lol.
    Do the percentages mean likeliness? Or does 50 percent mean the most likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

sdanseo wrote: »
    That picture will be absolutely historic if it verifies.

Still 100hrs away though.

I'm from the UK and people there are saying Ireland are a bunch of pansies as they have snow too forecast and no major warnings etc

Is Ireland expecting more than the UK due to the Irish Sea boosting it or simply we're not used to it and they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Was that aimed at me? I only asked about MT craniums post because there was no conclusive answer here....

No not aimed at you at all, Infact I wouldn't consider that post an offense at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hooter23 wrote: »
    So your telling me I have 100% chance at 40cm the most snow...I dont think we're reading it right:pac:
    wakka12 wrote: »
    Can somebody answer this?
    Seems important lol.
    Do the percentages mean likeliness? Or does 50 percent mean the most likely?

No, low chance of the least/most happening

25% chance of the 25%/75% columns verifying

And 50% chance of the 50% column occuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Impending Cold spell making the RTE headlines at 9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Calibos wrote: »
    Current model output says it won't turn to Rain except over the extreme southern coast of England. ie. certainly at the moment its looking like a 1987 or even a 1982 level frontal snow dumping......on top of whatever the east coast got from Tuesday to Thursday with the Lake effect snow from the Irish Sea. This might even mean that I have my fill of snow for the rest of my life!! This could be legendary and be something you tell your grandkids about.....or the low pressure system could miss us entirely and we 'only' get 2010 level snow. Its not looking like turning to rain over us going on current model output though.

:eek:

I was stranded in Dusseldorf Airport for 3 days back then.

Could this really be that bad (in Dublin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is Ireland expecting more than the UK due to the Irish Sea boosting it or simply we're not used to it and they are?

The UK has amber warnings issued.

The event on Friday could effect Ireland in a bigger way than the UK and not just for snow. We need to keep an eye on wind speeds as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I think the graph is something like this for Dublin though I've no clue how to embed and i'm crossing fingers that this works....

2Pqjp

https://imgur.com/a/2Pqjp

Edit: The wrap around image tags aren't working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I see there could be thunder with the snow . Something I've never witnessed .

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Just wondering if anyone would know if this event will involve high winds? A group of us are heading to a Prem game on Saturday, via overnight ferry from Dublin port. Getting worried that ferries might not run....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I'm from the UK and people there are saying Ireland are a bunch of pansies as they have snow too forecast and no major warnings etc

And here we have people saying a yellow isnt needed! :p

But yeah I expect more talk about alerts in the 9pm forecast, but not given as we have a countrywide yellow atm

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

News headlines covering weather event coming up next on RTÉ 1 news

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

How long will this cold spell last?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

NoodleMc wrote: »
    Just back from the shops. Overheard a conversation where one lad was telling another that he had heard from someone he knows who works in M.E. (when I heard M.E. I reversed direction and pretended to be extremely interested in the fresh fish, when of course I was actually heading to the tinned goods aisle), that..and I quote "He's telling me it's going to be like the 80's".

Nearly skipped out of the shops! :D

(Mind you I'm assuming that by 'Like the 80's' he was referring to snow amounts and not the hairstyles! :eek:)

Sounds like you're hoping for a major coke session to kick off soon..??

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Aimsir wrote: »
    How long will this cold spell last?

Up till next weekend so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Anybody wanting to watch the news can watch it live here on rte player if not at a tv https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/live/8/

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

Snaggerman wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone would know if this event will involve high winds? A group of us are heading to a Prem game on Saturday, via overnight ferry from Dublin port. Getting worried that ferries might not run....

The game might be cancelled/postponed perhaps. Where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Have a flight going from knock airport Friday 😳

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

I think showers could make it further west than is currently thought due to the strength of the winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Some models are actually going for a few show showers in the east tomorrow , could we be taken by suprise?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

GDSGR8 wrote: »
    The game might be cancelled/postponed perhaps. Where is it?

Anfield, more worried about the ferry tbh, reckon it'd have to be epic snow for game to be cancelled.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Some models are actually going for a few show showers in the east tomorrow , could we be taken by suprise?

I noticed the BBC graphics showed what looked like to me as some snow showers in leinster area some point in the evening tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Now would you look at that, GFS underestimating the cold air/blocking feature.... surprise surprise.

https://twitter.com/EssexWeather/status/967862729926234113

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few flakes in the east by tomorrow evening, nothing of real consequence yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I'm supposed to be heading to London for the spurs vs Huddersfield match also! I'm flying on Fri afternoon so I'm hoping this won't be too bad..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Anfield, more worried about the ferry tbh, reckon it'd have to be epic snow for game to be cancelled.....

Not really, if conditions aren’t safe for supporters accessing the stadium they tend to cancel games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

tom1ie wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be heading to London for the spurs vs Huddersfield match also! I'm flying on Fri afternoon so I'm hoping this won't be too bad..........

Also how bad is it going to be in the UK? Some the games could be called off if travel and paths etc are deemed dangerous for supporters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Yeah Monday should be absolutely fine, no real accumulation likely. Around Tuesday evening should start to get very dodgy, although probably not as bad as Wednesday will be.

Thanks Snow.

I can work from home anytime but I like to go in.

If Tuesday afternoon/evening is looking sketchy then I'll go tomorrow and then hibernate for the rest of the week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement